UI Changes for Malwarebytes 2.1

• Root Admin

Hello everybody!

In response to a bit of user unhappiness around the aggressive color scheme of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 (too many colors!), I'm here to give you a preview of what we're changing it to in version 2.1. We took feedback from our forums, reddit, and various other deep dark hallways of the Internet and put together a mock up that we then did usability testing on. As you can see, we removed all of the aggressive banners and per your suggestion we removed the marketing module from the dashboard.

I'm only showing you the dashboard, but we overhauled the entire scan flow to be simpler as well. Please note that this UI will continue to evolve over the next few versions as we get to everything that's been requested. Be gentle on us, we're working as fast as we can! :)

p.s. we know the smileys may look a bit cartoonish, but it resonated well with a lot of the early users we tried it on. It's a wonky idea, but that's just who we are :D. We're tired of boring checkmarks!

Let us know what you think, we hope to have this released around January.

post-1-0-72509600-1416257193_thumb.png

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD:

Loss of banner ads - THANK YOU!

Calmer, quieter, cleaner GUI

NOT AS GOOD:

Font is now too small and too blurry, even on 24" HD display

The entire GUI is a bit TOO subtle now

REMAINS TO BE SEEN:

The "improved" and "simpler" flow (cosmetics aside, 2.0 GUI is not all that bad)

Whether the flip-flopping from the screaming GUI of 2.0 to the stripped down GUI of 2.1 will be "better" (although the abrupt reversal could be construed as inconsistency)

POSITIVELY AWFUL:

Smiley faces -- is this a child's game or a white-hat security application?  (Sorry, but playful and silly are not attributes I seek in a serious security program.)

MOST IMPORTANT:

Bug fixes, and restored features, and work "under the hood"

JMNSHO, as always.

As always, thanks to the team for all the hard work to make the best MBAM ever!

• Staff

POSITIVELY AWFUL:

Smiley faces -- is this a child's game or a white-hat security application?  (Sorry, but playful and silly are not attributes I seek in a serious security program.)

BIG agreement here. Couldn't have said it better. Thanks Dalecoc1. :)

GOOD:

Loss of banner ads - THANK YOU!

Calmer, quieter, cleaner GUI

POSITIVELY AWFUL:

MOST IMPORTANT:

Bug fixes, and restored features, and work "under the hood"

I have to agree with these bullet points myself as well, thanks for pointing those out...

Just to point out, the happy face resonated very well with the novice users, which make THE MAJORITY of our userbase. Can't keep everyone happy, as you can see already in this post :).

Oh don't I know how you can not please everyone, as with any change, I can get used to it, the important thing is that Malwarebytes continues to be #1 in the malware removal business and does the work to make our lives easier, I can adapt to just about anything.

By the way, what was wrong with the 1.75 UI so that you wanted to change it?

Just a marketing reason?

I like the revamped model above, but would be perfectly comfortable with the 1.75 UI as well. (or even better)

Thanks!

We felt it was far too dated looking, as did a very large number of users and customers. In my opinion, it looked more like it belonged on Windows 95/98 than any modern operating system. While technicians and IT admins may certainly prefer that look (and since we now have products specifically for them, we can give them a more 1.75 look and feel without impacting consumers), we've found that the vast majority of our consumer users do not. The user experience was also far less intuitive, separating scanning and updating into separate tabs of the UI with no one-click way of doing the first thing most users do after installing the tool, which is updating and running a Threat scan. It also provided very little in the way of giving the user feedback on the status of the product, such as update status, scan status, protection status and license/trial status. In fact, because of these things we received countless comments from users who had previously used 1.75 and later upgraded to 2.0 that until 2.0 came out with its new look and messaging, that they weren't even aware we had a paid version of the product. 1.75 was a great utility, but it just didn't provide a comprehensive user experience and certainly didn't look like a modern, cutting edge piece of security software. We wanted to make the outside of the application (the UI) match what was going on on the inside with the powerful heuristics engine capabilities and cutting edge malware detection and removal technologies that it has.

Naturally, this won't be the end of the evolution of the UI; we are definitely still listening to all feedback and will continue to evaluate it as time goes on and as we get more feedback as well as UX testing data, but we will probably never go back to the look and feel of 1.x because that would be more of a regression/step backwards than anything else.

Thanks for the explanation.

Makes sense indeed.

No problem, I'm glad to be of service :).

And don't forget the part I said about business and technician customers too. We definitely have a very different user experience in mind for them that is more geared towards the basic efficiency and expert/advanced use case scenarios and requirements that they demand and that will be reflected in the changes that will be happening with our enterprise, small/medium business and technicians' products down the road. User interfaces are definitely not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, so we have to continue to tweak things and find what works best for each type of user and customer and deliver what they need to stay protected and do their jobs :).