Malwarebytes.org Comprimised?

Hi,

I've just received an email purporting to be from Malwarebytes.org stating the following:

I'm writing to let you know that on November 10th a vulnerability in our forum software allowed a hacker to gain access to the server hosting our community. We have no evidence of any personal data being stolen (nor do we store any on our forums!) but as a precautionary measure we are forcing all users to reset their passwords. The next time you attempt to log in, please select the "Forgot Your Password?" link below and follow the steps.

Could anyone clarify please?

Regards

• Root Admin

Hi guys, Malwarebytes.org was not compromised, only the one server that is running this forum. Invision is known for having vulnerabilities and gets exploited all the time, unfortunately we fell victim to that. The e-mails are still going out, should be done in a few hours. Purging user passwords was precautionary and since we just moved away from our servers and went to hosting the board with Invision, we used it as an opportunity.

Let me know if you have any questions or you can e-mail me :).

Hi guys, Malwarebytes.org was not compromised, only the one server that is running this forum. Invision is known for having vulnerabilities and gets exploited all the time, unfortunately we fell victim to that. The e-mails are still going out, should be done in a few hours. Purging user passwords was precautionary and since we just moved away from our servers and went to hosting the board with Invision, we used it as an opportunity.

Let me know if you have any questions or you can e-mail me :).

Moving from your own server to an insecure site isn't really a smart move. Especially not for a Malware prevention company.  :o

I never received any email.  I logged out, tried to log back in and got the expected message about having an incorrect user name or password.

Just as a heads up for the admins or owners of this site, it took 3 attempts clicking on the "forgot password" link to receive any email required to reset it. I waited about 15 mins between each request, and with the 3rd request the email was sent immediately.

I too have a copy of the email. It looks like Phishing, even smells like Phishing. Not even a logo,

I don't remember this ever happening with Malwarebytes before.

After moving the "community" onto a known weak and vunberable hosting service, hundreds of, if not thousands of people will see the email as a Phish, and igniore it. Others who follow through, will ponder the reliability and security of Malwarebytes - I am!

I am floored - that Malwarebytes would share pillows with a host known for it's flawed software - even if they do catch and patch quickly. It certainly raises eyebrows, and invites a sense of distrust in Malwarebytes, even if the full blame is put on Invision.

I don't need to be in the forums/community and only diseceted the headers to ensure it actually came from Malwarebytes - and as suspicious as it still looked, changed my password.

Now to request that my Forum/Community/Support account be deleted.

i

From what I've read, IP. Board has been exploited frequently including at security forums. Which begs a few questions.

Considering that "reports say" the White House and many large companies are often compromised, the MBAM personal record is very good.

I don't remember this ever happening with Malwarebytes before.

@ Internaut : This shows the personal security level applied here.

• gonzo locked this topic