WIndows 8 Store apps

John A

Hello Pedro,

That may have been my post here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/150501-what-custom-shields-are-you-using-with-mbae-premium/#entry841710

For those that may be interested if you are on Windows 8/8.1/8.1.1 and would like to try shielding your Metro apps, you can try the following: Since almost all Metro apps run via WWAHost.exe, add a custom shield for it. I have been doing this since the Premium version of MBAE was released and it is working well here on my system...

I used the browser profile and have not had any issues so hopefully this would work for all...

Hello,

You are both very much welcome.

Just remember, most Metro style apps will be protected this way but some do run via a different method. One example is the Metro PDF Reader. It uses the process "glcnd.exe" to run. I have also added this as a custom shield using the PDF reader profile. The only advice that I can give in these cases is to watch your task manager as you run Metro apps to see what process they use. Adding the process "WWAHost.exe" does cover most though...

HTH...

Hello Pedro,

You are most welcome  ;)  !  I went a bit overboard in testing adding shields to MBAE when the first version that had this feature was released. At one point I had over 40 custom shields, many for apps that probably would never be exploited but did face the internet. Since my "overboard testing", I have lowered that number quite a bit though. FYI, I never had any issue with any app that I did add a custom shield for...

(I had posted this before but it hasn't appeared)

I have two questions:

1. Are Store Apps just as vulnerable as exe files wrt Exploits, or are they more protected by a container of some type?

2. MBAE default shields includes "Internet Explorer" I think that many using Windows 8 would assume that this would include the Store app version of Internet Explorer as well, but it seems to me that the STore app version would not be shielded unless the WWAHost.exe" shield was added, and that can't be done on the free version of MBAE.

(This isn't an issue with Windows 10TP9879 because the Store app version of IE doesn't exist, only the Desktop version)