Combination of Malware Bytes and browser(Chrome) usage sends CPU usage to 100%

ctdawson

Ok, time to ask for some help--when I open up a single tab in Chrome, the CPU usage goes to, or nearly to, 100% and stays there. The websites I have tested this with are not(I don’t believe) overly intensive in terms of bandwidth—news sites, and a couple food sites are examples of places I see this happening at. I find that when I click a link on the original web page, going to another link on that site, many times, the CPU usage finally drops. The memory usage during these instances stays at approx 20%(of the 2G memory available)

Looking at the Task Scheduler, mbamservice.exe typically takes 60% of the CPU cycles, and Chrome is using 30% of the cycles. When I shut down Chrome, the total CPU usage goes to nearly zero.

This is a laptop where the browser had been running slow for a while, but I’m now taking the time to investigate it.

Computer details, and previous action taken:

Hardware: HP Compaq

CPU: Mobile AMD Sempron

RAM: 2G

Hard drive: 67G; 27G used, 40G free

Anti-virus/malware: Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

Steps taken, and status of computer:

Updated anti-virus, and ran hard drive scan in Safe Mode

Sluggishness was not sudden, this has been a problem for a long time(2 yrs?)

Update anti-spyware applications and scanned hard drive in Safe Mode

Reviewed self-launch startup programs—reduced number of startups, and didn’t see anything that looks obviously virus-related.

Cleaned up hard drive, removed old programs, old files, and most pictures.

Ran scandisk/checkdisk

Defragged computer

Ran Windows Disk Cleanup, removed temporary files/temporary internet files, emptied Recycle Bin, and compressed old files

Scanned w. Malware Bytes, no viruses or other malware found

Scanned w. Ccleaner:

Removed large number of Chrome and IE files

Ran Registry(did not change anything!!) Found large number of Missing Shared DLL, Unused File Extensions, ActiveX/COM Issue, Missing TypeLibReference, and Installer Reference Issue.

Scheduled Tasks: Had multiple tasks starting up at log on and running multiple times a day. Set the tasks to run once a month on different days.

MalwareBytes settings:

Malware Exclusions—mbam.exe, mbam.dll, mbamservice.exe, mbam.sys, MBAMSwissArmy.sys

Advanced Settings: Enable self-protection module not selected

Automated Scheduling: Threat Scan set to once a day, and Check for Updates is once a day.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and if I'm in the wrong forum please let me know, and I will head there.

Thanks much, and have a good one!

Clyde

Hello and :welcome: :

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

The forum staff and experts will review the logs in order to try to resolve your issue.

Thank you,

P.S. The forum mod team might move this topic to the MBAM General Help section >>here<<. No worries, though. ;)

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that the computer is either infected or damaged from a previous infection. You also have a core OS file running under compatibility mode which is not good.

You should remove this entry from the  Registry. If you need help on how to do that then ask a helper in the other forum listed below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

Also please read the following concerning the use of Registry Cleaners.

Do I need a Windows Registry Cleaner?

Also due to the age of this computer you're also running quite a few old programs that I'd recommend that you not run but that can be addressed after making sure the computer is clean from infections.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you

Ron

Ron,

I've posted to the Malware Removal Help as you suggested on 2/25 with the same topic name as here, but it hasn't been picked up--I realize you guys are busy, as well as doing this on a volunteer basis, I just wanted to make sure I had posted it correctly, or if there is some reason on my part that it's been left alone.

Thanks much, and have a great one!

Clyde