Malicious Website Protection disabled/MBAMWebAccessControl failed

Windows 7 64 bit

MBAM Premium

- disable self-protection

- enable  Malicious Website Protection when started

Norton Internet Security

I've been getting "Malicious Website Protection disabled" since the start of February. The pinned entry on this topic seems to apply to the version of MBAM from October 2014 and does not help. I've followed the clean install sequence several times and still cannot select the Enabled option in settings.

In my System event log I get this several times during the day:

The MBAMWebAccessControl service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Hello and welcome back:

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Note: if you have previously run FRST on this system, please delete that old copy of the tool and grab a fresh copy from the link in the pinned topic just mentioned. And, please be sure to place a check-mark in the "Addition.txt" option before you run it.

Thank you,

Thanks for the logs.

Your log shows the following:

OS:                                Windows XP Service Pack 3 Service Pack 3 64 bit Operating System
Current Version and Build:         5.1.2600.0 OS Product Info: Professional

AFAIK, the malicious website blocking feature is not supported on Win XP 64-bit.

Are you dual booting with XP and Win7?

We will need to wait for a staff member or more expert forum volunteer to review the logs in detail, and to provide additional guidance.

Thanks for your patience,

I've noticed that  XP thing before - but I'm on WIndows 7 64 bit,and this machine was created as  WIndows 7- not upgraded.

I am running Oracle VM Virtual box and use that to bring up Windows XP for someolder apps - maybe that's why

• Root Admin

The OS is not XP as listed from the logs. But it does show some signs of possible infection and a proxy in your browser. Also the controller is having issues reading/writing files.

Platform: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (X64) OS Language: English (United States)
Internet Explorer Version 11 (Default browser: FF)

Error: (03/03/2015 10:27:52 AM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Error: (03/03/2015 10:27:51 AM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )

Error: (03/03/2015 10:27:51 AM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )

Error: (03/03/2015 10:27:50 AM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )

Error: (03/03/2015 10:05:28 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7034) (User: )
Description: The Secunia PSI Agent service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (03/03/2015 09:59:57 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (EventID: 7000) (User: )
Description: The MBAMWebAccessControl service failed to start due to the following error:
%%2

If the controller issue cannot be resolved it may be due to failing hardware. I would suggest having someone assist you in reviewing your computer for an infection and removal.

You could try the following as well and using the latest beta instead of the released version. You can get the beta from here

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/165570-malwarebytes-anti-malware-210-beta/

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Then restart the computer and see if you're still having issues and let us know.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Hi:

The OS is not XP as listed from the logs.

That is weird, because the mbam-check log did show the OS as XP:

mbam-check result log version:     2.1.1.1001
========================================

User Account type:                 Administrator
OS:                                Windows XP Service Pack 3 Service Pack 3 64 bit Operating System
Current Version and Build:         5.1.2600.0 OS Product Info: Professional

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:         2.0.4.1028
Installed On:                      2015/03/02
Malware Database:                  2015.03.03.05

Perhaps that might have been a glitch in the checkresults.txt log?

In any event, Stuffed, please follow AdvancedSetup's advice.

Thanks again,

Ran a test on the Drobo/NAS and it was fine, backups continued to work 100%.

4 hours ago it failed, one drive totally useless, almost certainly an electronics failure, not a platter failure. As long as my UPS stays on for 30 hours, the NAS will recover and rebuild its array,

Until thats safe, I'll wait to work on the  MBAM issues.

I just got a popup - MBM asking to update [i don't recall it prompting to update before] - it updated to 2015.03.05.03 and real time protection is correctly enabled for the first time in 3 months. I'll wait and see if this stays good for a few days.