My computer is glitching out?

Today, I was just minding my own business trying to get on my computer and when I started my PC my monitor wouldn't display. I turned my monitor off and on for a bout 15 minutes and then it finally worked!

A few minutes of windows 7 loading, it brought me to my desktop which looked a lot different than when I had turned my PC off. The Start bar was purely white and all my shortcuts were either A) Not there or B) Moved to a different location. My antivirus was freaking out as well, and I couldn't close the vulnerability scanner update window, it was also INCREDIABLY laggy. So I tried to keep my head clear and I turned my PC off counted to 10 and turned it back on, this time it's booted up perfectly with no issues.

I'm not exactly sure what's happening but I'm scared if I turn my PC off it's going to happen again! I scanned with MBAM and it found absolutely nothing. Can someone tell me if this was a harmless error or if there's something horribly wrong with my computer?

Please check and recheck video cable connections between monitor and computer.  Note that any thumbscrews used to hold the cable to the monitor or hold the cable to the PC should NOT be "torqued down".  They should only be tightened to the point the cable does not fall off or pull away.

I've restarted and these are the oddities I've noticed that my computer does not usually do:

-Black Screen after logging in (Stayed up for approx. 15 seconds then vanished)

-Laggy and slow

-Desktop items moved from original destination, some things got deleted

-When the internet is activated a white screen stays for a while and then finally puts me on my home page.