windows xp boots when malawarebytes is starting the scan

Hello,

I have run Malawarebytes on my computer (free version) for several years now always with great results. Like a month ago I downloaded the available version (I do not have internet :( at all times), but I did not run it until now. 

However, this time my windows xp boots when Malawarebytes is getting ready to scan (before it actually starts the scan there is a progress bar). When the progress bar is about to complete, my screen computer goes blue, white letter come up with a long message. The blue screen is less than a secon, then it automatically boots.

I have tried both in normal mode and safety mode with the same result. I dont know if this is related to my pendrive or as someone told me to a nasty infection my computer has.

Please advise and thanks in advance!

Hello and :welcome: :

MBAM Free does not start with Windows or have any sort of real-time protection or automated tasks (updates or scans).
So, it sounds as if you are running the 14-day Trial version that is enabled by default during a new install or upgrade, unless the user opts out.

If you recently upgraded to version 2.1.4.1018, that may explain it.

EDIT: I think I misread your post -- it's not MBAM that is unexpectedly starting with Windows; rather, your system is restarting when MBAM starts a scan?

Having said that, a BSOD is not normal.
There are many reasons (hardware problems, driver issues, or even malware (rootkits)).

In order to sort this out, we would need a bit more information.

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and Welcome!!!

Looks like you are getting some Error: (04/02/2015 02:15:33 PM) (Source: 0) (EventID: 7) (User: ) Description: \Device\Harddisk0\D

Which shows that you may have a failing hard drive.  Might be a good idea to backup your data just in case it fails....

In the meantime try running a check disk on this computer.

Please try the following. It should take at least 10 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the speed of your computer.

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30