Are mbae and mbam not packable as one service?

21emanresu

1. I have a mbam (premium) license.  Considering $$$ mbae. I've noticed mbae checks for mbam running. Can these two services run with one license? If someone has purchased mbam why would they not want mbae anyway? So, why don't I already have the protection offered by mbae? "Because you haven't bought it yet you idiot!" Yeah I know, but do you follow? (See topic title) 

2. Are there any unresolved product compatibility issues with running MBAM & MBAE with NIS on this: AMD A6-6310 APU w/AMD Radeon R4 1.8GHz 8GB 64bit Win 8.1? I haven't selected exceptions w/in NIS for MBAM, have both programs configured aggressively, and am unaware of any problems with either service as a result.  

*Thank You for your time and consideration, btw any answers to the above will not affect your final grade because I have already failed this class for asking:(

Your post is not very clear but I'll try to answer what I understand:

1. afaik you need a separate license to run MBAE, but you can also just run the free version.

2a.  Differences in hardware should not affect the behavior of MBAE.

2b.  A list of known issues and conflicts can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/135127-known-issues-conflicts/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

regenpijp

• Staff

As @regenpijp said, you do need a separate license for MBAE. But keep in mind that MBAE Free does provide real-time protection for many browsers, all browser add-ons and Java, as well as Acrobat Reader when PDFs are opened from within the browser. So in reality MBAE Free does provide a lot of protection already without the need to purchase a separate license.

MBAE Premium does add protection for Office, PDF Readers, MediaPlayers and custom shields.

There shouldn't be any conflicts with the environments you mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to add that Malwarebytes should have some information on the website detailing what the difference between MBAM and MBAE.  It's certainly not clear to me.

I purchased MBAM premium (a total of 4 licenses), and it's not clear to me if I want or need MBAE or why. 

As an end user, I don't care much about the 'categories' of different malware - whether it's a virus, a trojan, adware, whatever.  To me it's all the same:  unwanted junk that I don't want on my machine.  And I'd rather not have to manage a slew of different dashboards, software installs, and licenses to try to deal with it.  So I'd appreciate it if you would make it clear to me (and everyone) if and why I need the new software.

• Staff

Hi mwb1100.

The information does exist and can be found in the following pages:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/premium/

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/premium/

In short, MBAM deals with malware (trojan, adware, PUP, bots, crapware, etc.). On the other hand MBAE does not care about malware, it deals with software vulnerability exploits which is the main infection vector not only for malware but also for other types of advanced attacks.

I know it can be confusing to understand the difference and we're working towards a solution in the future. But for now they are two separate products with two distinct and clear objectives.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Folks,

Attn: "pbust"

Are you saying or suggesting that we install both the MBAM premium or free and the MBAE premium or free ?

Regards

pcbugfixer :ph34r: The Devil made me ask that.

I know it can be confusing to understand the difference and we're working towards a solution in the future. But for now they are two separate products with two distinct and clear objectives.

I'm going to be honest and say that the two distinct and clear objectives are not clear to me. And the two pages you pointed me to don't really help me all that much.  Maybe I'm being lazy and I should be putting more effort into understang the technical jargon on those pages.  But I really don't want to; I doubt that most of your customers want to. As I mentioned, I don't really know the technicalities that make a virus different from a trojan or an exploit.  And I really have little interest in knowing the technical details.

Now one thing that I think I've gleaned from the two product descriptions is that MBAE is supposed to protect Office, PDF readers, and media players.  The description of MBAM doesn't mention those things explicitly.  I suppose that's a difference that I might care about and even begin to understand, although I might also want to understand why I would have mistakenly thought that MBAM would protect against malware that targets those programs when it doesn't.

Does MBAM only deal with malware that targets browsers or is installed via an installer? And MBAE targets malware that gets on the machine in other ways?  Which program would help me if I opened an email attachment that contained some malware?

Answering both of the last two posts, MBAM and MBAE are both valuable and we recommend both - whether they are the premium versions or the free versions.  MBAM free will not provide real-time protection and that is a big advantage.  MBAE free will provide support for everything but custom shields that you might want to install.  In many cases, they aren't necessary but some people prefer to.

The simplest way to describe what they do is that MBAM protects you against WHAT malware is on your computer, and MBAE protects you against HOW that malware works.  If the malware isn't detected by MBAM, it still has to use standard ways of attacking you, and that's where MBAE comes into play.  There may also be malware that is undetected by MBAE, but MBAM's real-time protection would guard against it.

Neither product deals only with browser-based malware or installer-based malware, but both do.  They protect against malware -- period!.  That cootie-ridden email attachment would be protected by both.  They are both important.

• Staff

Hi mwb1100.

The easiest way to describe it is that MBAE protects your applications (browsers, Office, PDF readers, Java, etc.) from being abused/exploited by hackers to run code remotely on your system. That "code" can be a malware or it can also be some form of targeted attack or even a reverse shell, which is not exactly malware but which is just as damaging from a system compromise perspective.

MBAM on the other hand is focused on identifying and removing malware from your system.

So basically MBAE will protect the "infection vector" or HOW you get infected, while MBAM will protect from WHAT you get infected with.

I hope this helps.

Even though I didn't originally post about this topic seeking specific product information, "Staff" responses have been wonderfull beyond expectations (to say the least).  After reading these I would like to offer this simple suggestion (which in all likelyhood is already pending implementation): Create a line in the licensed mbam installation file that asks if the user wants to add mbae free trial, problem solved.   Thanks again for the great information!

OK, I think gonzo's and particularly pbust's most recent posts on this thread have finally helped me see the light.  Hopefully I have this right; it seems to boil down to:

- MBAM deals with finding and removing malware that is on your system in the form of files

- MBAE deals with malware in the form of code that tries to exploit flaws in the legitimate software that you have installed

I imagine there's some overlap and that this summary is quite simplified, but that seems to be the essence.  I hope I've got it right and I'm not misrepresenting things.

mwb1100,

Probably best to look at it in the terms of MBAM protecting against WHAT and MBAE protecting against HOW.  Files and codes are somewhat interchangeable depending on when and how you look at them...that is the overlap you mentioned.

Hackers/malware authors try to mask the "WHAT" (or identity of the malware) because signatures are designed to protect against that.  They must still be able to do their dirty work, and that's where MBAE comes in.  It doesn't matter what you call "it", if "it's" attack vector is blocked.

The bottom line is that the two programs working together work very well in protecting you against the bad guys.