ridding non-malware findings crashed my computer

I feel a little let down by MalwareBytes and am coming here for some help. I did a scan on my Windows 7 machine and it came up with 5 non-malware detections.  I believed I quaranined 5 non-malware findings from a scan and now have an unusable computer. I suppose the question can be asked why I deleted 'non-malware' findings and I might counter, why did non-malware findings show up to begin with.

At any rate, I look at the 'application logs' and it shows by date, a brief findings log of the correct date and time without going into any detail as to what those findings were (by name) - just shows 5 non-malware findings.  As I look into the 'quarantine', I can'f find anything that comes close to a date of today's date and can't find anything on the file that continues to show itself when the computer boots.

This appears to have something to do with a "PCProtect.dll" and the error reads "c:\windows\system32\pcprotect.dll is ether not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error".  It errors out as a ItunesHelper.exe HelperMsgListenerWnd, and an SDTray.ext bad image.

This file isn't even in c:\windows\system32 but when I tried to copy a file by that name into that directory, it didn't help.

So my million dollar question, how do I identify and restore the file from the quarantine in hopes that it may resolve the issue?  I haven't seen a file by that date in the quarantine but obviously, it was one of those 'not-malware' files that were quarantined.

I've tried restoring Windows to an earlier date to no avail and the machine will not access the internet even after I shut off Avast and the WIndows 7 Firewall.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Hello and :welcome: :

Thank you for your detailed narrative.
It's very unusual for removal of PUPs/PUMs alone to render a computer "unusable".
Figuring out what is going on will require a deeper look at the system.

Such work on possible malware-related issues is not permitted here in this section of the forum.
It is conducted in a special forum area reserved for that purpose.

So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the suggested, preliminary steps to expedite the process.

>>> In addition to the FRST logs requested in the pinned topic mentioned above, it may help if you could also please post in your malware removal thread the MBAM scan log from the scan that removed the items in question (I have included steps for exporting that log at the bottom of this post).

A malware analyst will assist you in the malware removal section with looking into your issue -- the helper will assist you with scanning, cleaning and repairing the system.

Thanks,
---------------

How to get scan logs:
(Export log to save as a txt file for posting in the forum when requested)

• Open MBAM.
  • Click on the HISTORY tab > APPLICATION LOGS.
  • Double-click on the SCAN LOG which shows the date and time of the scan just performed (or the one you are asked to post).
  • Click EXPORT.
  • Click TEXT FILE (*.txt)
  • In the "Save File" dialog box which appears, click on DESKTOP.
  • In the FILE NAME box, type a name for your scan log.
  • A message box named "File Saved" should appear, stating that "Your file has been successfully exported".
  • Click OK.
  • Attach the saved log to your post in the malware removal section.