A question about secure downloads

tjpc3

I know that there are two different World Wide Web protocols, HTTPS and HTTP. My question is that if i'm downloading something from a site that i now is safe (Like windows.microsoft.com) if that site is not using https, is is possible for my download to be hijacked and I receive a virus instead of the program I intended to get?

Microsoft is not standard. If you go to;  microsoft.com/downloads  it may or may not be using Secure Sockets Layer ( SSL ) and the HTTPS protocol.

Getting Windows Updates actually uses Microsoft's Background Intelligent Transfer Service ( BITS ).

When it comes to downloading files, it really doesn't matter if it is HTTP or HTTPS.  You are just downloading files.  It is when you are performing financial transactions, dealing with Personally Identifiable Information ( PII ) or when yolu are having "personal" or "private" communications where you want to use SSL.  That is where you want security and encrypted data streams over the 'net.

Downloads don't get hijacked.  Sites may get hijacked and thus a request to download a file may be redirected from where you think you are downloading a file to some other location.