Order of install-uninstall: Malwarebytes & another antivirus program

1) I am a happy user of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium.

2) I used to also run it with Microsoft Security Essentials but I recently uninstalled the MSE (via the simple add/remove method I believe).

3) I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit

If I try out an antivirus program that has been on the list of programs supposedly known to work with Malwarebytes am I screwed because I already have Malwarebytes installed? Do I HAVE to install the antivirus first, then Malwarebytes second?

From reading these forums I know better than to ask for a recommendation of what antivirus to buy...but hopefully it is OK to ask for the official Malwarebytes recommendation of what to do in terms of order of installing/uninstalling.

Thanks

If you already have Malwarebytes installed, you do not need to uninstall or to reinstall it.  You should be able to install your antivirus program.  Depending on which antivirus you use, you may need to add exclusions to it to keep it from interfering with Malwarebytes, or vice versa.  They usually get along just fine, but every once in a while, exclusions are needed.

Hi:

Just to qualify that a wee bit, some AVs *do* complain about MBAM if it is installed when trying to run the AV installer.

It's more about marketing than about compatibility.

KIS/KAV/PURE used to put up quite a temper tantrum.

It's much improved these days, with current versions of both software.

Most of the AVs should install fine with MBAM already in place.

Having said that -- and being somewhat of an old geezer -- I tend to stick to the old "best practices" of temporarily uninstalling MBAM before installing or performing a major version upgrade of my internet security suite.

It's probably not strictly necessary, but it helps to ensure a trouble-free installation of both MBAM and KIS.

If you run into problems, you can always fall back to that practice.

And, if you need help setting mutual exclusions between MBAM and your AV, feel free to post back.

Your mileage may vary, as each computer is unique. ;) .

Cheers,