MalwareBytes acquires Junkware Removal Tool

Nesivos

Posted by: Timothy Tibbetts on 06/20/2015 07:50 AM

Today Malwarebytes announced the hiring of Filipos Mouliatis, otherwise known as thisisu, and the acquisition of his tool Junkware Removal Tool.

JRT is a tool that is designed to remove adware and other potentially unwanted programs from a Windows compuer. This tool is a very popular download at BleepingComputer.com with over 4 million downloads since Filipos began developing it. It will be exciting to see how JRT partnered with Malwarebytes will go even further to protect Windows users from adware and other unwanted programs.

Here is the link to the announcement on Major Geeks

I have used the tool as lately as this month.  I don't have PUPs on my computers because I use Malwarebytes :) but it did find some stuff and removed it with no ill effects to my computers.

However I had two problems with it.

1.  Once you run it that is it.  There is no going back so it may remove some stuff you do not want removed.  If so, you need to reinstall the app or apps it removes.   Most cleaners give you a list of recommended apps to have the app cleaner remove or perform other cleaning the tool is recommending.   The user can then choose to accept or reject individual items.  That is not the case with Junkware Removal Tool.  Probably because it runs in DOS mode

2. It removes items from Windows Task Scheduler without removing the program itself.  I had at least two different apps with line items in Windows Task Scheduler who scheduled tasks were removed by JRT that I did not want removed.  So I had to re-enter the scheduled tasks. 

One final comment.  The author of the tool has a video up on Major Geeks where he talks about how to use JRT.  He suggests using the Windows Apps uninstaller section to review the apps you have and then using and I am not kidding IObit Uninstaller.to remove the apps you do not want before running JRT.  Somehow I think this video will be removed or changed :cool:

Anway as JRT now works I would not use it again, mainly because it doesn't give me a chance to review their suugested list of apps or line items in Windows Task Scheduler to be removed.  JRT also removes registry entries which I think is a questionable activity for a Cleaner especially without the user being able to edit the list of items to be removed before they are actually removed.  Having said that it does get a five star rating on Major Geeks.   I also think Malwarebytes will make some good improvments to it before they release it just like they have done with MBAE which is now a far better and more user friendly app than when Malwarebytes acquired it.

I honestly never encountered any issue with JRT. Well, the only one I did, I reported it to thisisu who fixed it in a record time and it wasn't a dangerous issue to the system as well (just an exception). Also, in opposition to a lot of automated malware removal tool, JRT takes a Registry back-up of the system before proceeding, which can be really helpful if your system crashes and refuse to boot after. JRT has been in my malware removal procedure for a long time and it'll stay there. Good tool by a good developper :)

The Major Geeks "announcement" was put out there without an attribution. A very similar quote was used in a Wilders post but their attribution is not found. A similar post was said to be made at Bleeping and now that link was taken down.

It may be best to wait for an official announcement from a Malwarebytes staffer.

@Nesivos: JRT, like any other powerful utility, is frequently mentioned in Malware Removal Help at the appropriate time by professionals who have thoroughly examined available diagnostic information. Much like sUBs ComboFix, JRT should not be used on a whim by the curious amateur. Considering JRT use is best preceded by the prudent application of AdwCleaner and other tools in the proper sequence.