Malwarebytes Acquires Junkware Removal Tool

• Root Admin

Hey everyone! I'm pleased to announce that we have acquired Junkware Removal Tool!

Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. A common tactics among freeware publishers is to offer their products for free, but bundle them with PUPs in order to earn revenue. (Source: BleepingComputer)

With the acquisition of JRT, we are reinforcing how serious we are about potentially unwanted programs which often trick users into getting installed and provide no real value to the end user. You can read more about our classification criteria here.

The developer of the tool, Filipos Mouliatis, joins our research team and will help us integrate the JRT technologies into our mainline Malwarebytes Anti-Malware product. The tool will survive as a standalone for those who want to continue using it, at least until we're able to replicate the functionality into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Feel free to spread the word at any of the other security forums that you frequent, and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me! :)

You can read the blog post here and the press release here.

Marcin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...The tool [JunkwareRemovalTool] will survive as a standalone for those who want to continue using it, at least until we're able to replicate the functionality into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware..."

So JRT will be removed from the market soon.

I'm sorry about that, although I didn't use JRT often.

I missed the control, over what it was going to do.

If the power of JRT will be fully integrated into MBAM, and there will be a free version of MBAM, this move will be bearable. 

• Root Admin

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will always have free removal capabilities. You didn't pay to get infected, you shouldn't pay to remove it.

With regards to control over what JRT was going to do, I would argue Malwarebytes Anti-Malware gives you way more control, i.e. what folders to scan, what items to remove, and finally the quarantine.

Hi, Gary:

Hi Here is a screen shot that I wanted to add to post # 21 reply.

Thank you for removing my link to Photo Bucket. That was my bad!! I would still like to edit my replies when I mess up however. Is that possible??

See here, including my reply: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169601-license-state/

Please continue this discussion in the other sub-forum, where it belongs.

This thread is a news thread to announce the acquisition of JRT, not to discuss user license issues. :(

Thanks for your understanding,

P.S. Unfortunately new forum members are not permitted to edit their posts. This policy was necessary because of prior abuse. You may wish to use the "Preview Post" button for now. Thank you.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will always have free removal capabilities. You didn't pay to get infected, you shouldn't pay to remove it.

With regards to control over what JRT was going to do, I would argue Malwarebytes Anti-Malware gives you way more control, i.e. what folders to scan, what items to remove, and finally the quarantine.

Great to hear this statement from official site, from you Marcin.

This will MBAM even better.

THX

• Root Admin

Marcin,

That is seriously good news and a great acquisition for you, and hearing it will it be integrated into Mbam's outstanding.

Do you plan to allow it to remainb a separate tool also?

Rich-M

Quote snippet from original post

The developer of the tool, Filipos Mouliatis, joins our research team and will help us integrate the JRT technologies into our mainline Malwarebytes Anti-Malware product. The tool will survive as a standalone for those who want to continue using it, at least until we're able to replicate the functionality into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Marcin