HP Support Assistant Says My Security is At Risk

Hi

I have a question. I was on my computer and I got a pop up from HP Support Assistant saying I have a critical update that needs to be installed so I exited out of the pop up and went into HP Support Assistant and it was an alert to get ready for Windows 10 so I dismissed it and the window froze. I turned my computer off then rebooted. I went back into HP Support Assistant and I see the red Caution icon in my Network and Security settings so I click on it and it says that my firewall, anti-virus, spyware, etc are off and my internet security is at risk. So I go to my firewall and it says it is on and then I go to my anti-virus and it says it is on and protecting. I scanned my computer and after a few minutes, the Network and Security settings changed to green check marks on my anti-virus and spyware etc and said my internet security is secured. So I rebooted again to see what would happen and support assistant said the same thing again but changed to secure a few minutes after.

I never noticed it doing that. Is there a reason for it saying that even when all of my protection software is on and working?

Hi. I removed some malware with AdwCleaner and I used Delfix to delete all of the tools used. I was using System Investigator on SuperAntiSpyware and it found an unknown file called Quarantine.exe. The thumbnail looked like the bug from AdwCleaner but behind jail bars. I scanned it using VirusTotal and it came up as clean but I deleted it soon after anyways. Was this just a reminant from AdwCleaner or something else? Thank you

Hello: :)

It's impossible to say for sure, based on the information provided.

Moreover, this particular section of the forum is reserved for non-malware related, general PC help.

As you have just recently worked on malware removal/cleanup in the malware removal section and since that thread is still open, it might be a good idea to resume that topic with Maniac HERE.

He will assist you with scanning the computer and with removing malware and remnants.

Thank you,

Hi, Confused:

Scanning it with VT is fine.

But, under the circumstances, it might be advisable to touch base again with your expert malware helper in the special forum area reserved for this sort of work:

As you have just recently worked on malware removal/cleanup in the malware removal section and since that thread is still open, it might be a good idea to resume that topic with Maniac HERE.

He will assist you with scanning the computer and with removing malware and remnants.

Thank you again,

Please just wait for him to reply in your other thread.

He likely lives in a different Time Zone, and today *is* Sunday. :)

Our hardworking malware helpers are mostly volunteers, and they do have family and other commitments.

He will reply to you when he can.

Also, as you have been back for malware removal multiple times recently, you might want to ask him to provide you with information about "best practices" for computer security.

There are many excellent resources out there that may help you to surf more safely and not be reinfected.

Nothing is 100%, but safe computing practices are essential.

Most of our helpers have a detailed list of such resources and recommendations.

Thank you,

"and I see the red Caution icon in my Network and Security settings so I click on it and it says that my firewall, anti-virus, spyware, etc are off and my internet security is at risk."

"So I go to my firewall and it says it is on and then I go to my anti-virus and it says it is on"

conflicting information and changing states are warning flags in my book .

personally . i would head over to the malware removal section and start a new topic .

Hi.

I went to scan something in my System32 folder in VirusTotal (just to ne sure) and I couldn't find it in my System32 via File search. So I saved it to my desktop in order to scan it and it was clean. I want to put it back where it came from without deleting the file entirely since it is an important part of Windows. I tried to replace the file in the destination but I do not have permission to do that. Is there anyway I can put this file back and not have it on my desktop?

Hi:

Short answer from another home user: playing around with/moving files in your Windows OS folders is a recipe for a broken system or other disaster.

If you think you are infected, it would probably be a better idea to continue with your expert malware helper in your other thread HERE

He will know what tools to run and how to run them, without damaging the OS.

I'm sure the forum staff and experts and other members will have some additional feedback and advice about this.

Cheers,

I did not know this could cause potential damage. I do not think I am necessarily infected at the moment but I will ask Maniac about it when he gets back to me on the issue we are currently discussing. I wanted to see if it was malicious or not, but I will not touch anything until i receive advice about it

Hello Confused:

For the future, a better, and certainly less dangerous, method of checking file integrity is to use a passive Microsoft tool (sigcheck.exe) from the Sysinternals collection and when coupled with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) front-end such as Skwire Empire's SigcheckGUI, both VirusTotal and the author's digital signature evaluations may be observed in one window.

HTH