Malwarebytes freezing XP computer

I have 32 byte windows XP service pack 3 with the life time paid for version of malwarebytes.

Yesterday evening the computer started up but would not respond to keyboard or mouse clicks. This morning after letting the computer to take its own time and wait between each action I accessed Malwarebtyes to try to run a scan assuming I was infected. To get to this point took several hours and then the screen said real time protection was disable.

I have managed to close Malwarebytes and the computer is working fine. I accessed the forum and it seems that there are problems for a number of XP users.

I downloaded the two tools but on runing the first I get an error message of:

File not found

C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT.E_E

Is it safe to proceed further? I am not very IT literate and warning messages about manually restoring registery files has me worried. Does the forst process remove registery files?

I don't want to switch my computer off as I may not get it working again as it was only be luck I stopped malwarebytes working and as it starts when I switch on I may not be able to do it again and this is my only computer.

Hello and welcome back: :)

Sorry you are having problems with MBAM freezing on your XP system.

For starters, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

The logs will provide a wee bit of information to help to determine what might be going on and how to resolve it.

Thank you,

Hi:

Thanks for the logs. :)

The "Addition.txt" log didn't make the trip.

Please try again to run FRST -- before running it again, please be sure to place a checkmark in the "Addition.txt" option.

Then, please try to post back with a fresh set of both logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt).

Thanks,

Yes, that is better. :)

Thanks.

Yes, the CheckResults.txt log is fine.

We will need to wait for a MBAM staff member or forum expert to review the logs and advise you.

Just for clarification:

1. You were already running MBAM 2.1.8.1057 for a while (since upgrading on July 7) without a problem?

2. The problem with "freezing" just started last evening?

Thanks for your patience,

For a while the start up had been slow and I would power off and try again. The total freezeing only started yesterday.

Recently I had taken to not switching off every day, only hibernating, due to the time to start from scratch.

The computer has also had less use than normal in the last 2 weeks as I have been on holiday and some days I may not have used it.

Hello Littlemoney,

It would appear that this installation of the program needs to be repaired.  But first, let us take care of making some adjustments so that Avast antivirus and our software treat each as trusted applications.

There will be more to do for later.  So please stick with me here.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus:

Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
    Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
    Click the Exclusions section
    Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
    In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
    Click the + next to Program Files
    Click the box next to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on OK
    Click OK again
    Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
    Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
    Type or copy/paste the following address:

*.mbamupdates.com
    Click on OK

Also, for Avast! Internet Security:
    Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
    Click on Trusted Processes
    Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
    Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open  

Do the same for the following files:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
      C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
      C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
      C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
      C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Click on OK
    Close Avast! antivirus

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
    Click on the Add button on the lower left
    In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files   and click once on *avast software* and click on OK
    Close Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Let me know after this has been taken care of.

Thanks.

I am running Avast 2015  10.2.2218 and the navigation appears to be different.

1. Navigating: Avast>settings>active protection>file system shield>customise> exclusions>exclusions  At this location C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\* is already listed

2. Navigating: Avast>settings>active protection>web shield>customise> exclusions>exclusions. At this location url to excuded already include *.mbamupdates.com

It appears that both of these are already set unless I have the navigation wrong./

3. I do not have an option for Internet Security. It is now only in a paid for version of Avast. I only have the free version.

I have not done the last item as I have a question. If I open Malwarebytes  to put avast on the ignore list will my computer freeze again or no it is working will it be OK. Can you please let me know before I proceed. Thanks

I am updating the Avast program but mit want  to restart the computer.

How do I stop Malwarebytes from starting given it took me all morning to get the computer running by stopping avast. Currnetly Malwarebytes is stopped and I can't see it in msconfig to cancel it on start up. Is this because it is not currently running.

Hi:

Now that Maurice is helping you, it's probably best if I defer to him, to minimize confusion.
He will assist you with getting MBAM and Avast updated and running together properly.

But, to answer your question:

How do I stop Malwarebytes from starting given it took me all morning to get the computer running by stopping avast.

Dashboard > Settings > Advanced Settings > Untick the option for "Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Windows".

Needless to say, eventually, after you get both MBAM and Avast updated and configured, perhaps with the mutual exclusions he mentioned, you'll probably want to re-enable that setting in MBAM.

Currnetly Malwarebytes is stopped and I can't see it in msconfig to cancel it on start up. Is this because it is not currently running.

MBAM v2 runs as Windows services, not from Registry "Run Keys".

That is why it is not listed in msconfig.

OK, I will turn you back over to Maurice for the home stretch.

Cheers,

Hello,

Then please see about using SAFE mode and then doing what needs to be modified as far as auto-start.

•    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

As a last resort, you may also do a "clean boot startup"  but I think for that too you would need to be starting in safe mode to kick that off.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Maurice

Is there any benefit of uninstalling malwarebyte while I can, doing a restart to update avast and then doing a reinstall of malwarebytes. Does the latest version include the hot fix that has been released for solved problems for some xp users.

Littlemoney,

I think that whatever "freeze issue" there was when yo started here today may have been a one-time special combination.  And as I noted before, the Checkresults pointed to a need for a repair installation.   So here is what I am suggesting next.

Lets start with a mbam-repair to just insure that the installation is in good order.
We will use our mbam-repair tool to do so.

This tool will automate the process of running our dedicated Malwarebytes Anti-Malware uninstall tool, reinstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and restoring your existing license. It will also run our diagnostic tool, mbam-check.

This must be run from a user account with administrator permissions.
There will be 2 restarts of your computer during this routine.
Please do not perform other functions while performing this repair.
An active internet connection is required.
Please attend your computer during this entire procedure.

Please download mbam-repair tool from this link and save it to your desktop.
http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_repair

Double click on mbam-repair.exe to run it.
Approve the UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. (not on XP systems)

The tool will download additional Malwarebytes tools to be used in this repair routine.
Follow the prompt to press the Enter key when it is presented. The computer will restart.
After restart, the UAC prompt will appear. Approve it again by clicking Continue or Yes.
MBAM will be installed, and updated. The license will be restored.
Wait for the update to complete, and when prompted, press the Enter key again. The computer will restart.
Note: If pressing the Enter key does not restart the computer, this means the console window is not in focus. Click once inside the black mbam-repair window and then press Enter.
After the restart, the UAC prompt will appear again. Approve it again by clicking Continue or Yes.
mbam-repair will perform its post-installation checks.
Our diagnostic tool, mbam-check will be run. CheckResults.txt will be presented to the screen. Close that log file. It will be located on your desktop.
Once again, press the Enter key in the mbam-repair console window.
The repair is now complete.

What you need to do after this is completed is to do a Update Now run  from the Dashboard screen so that the database definitions are all up to date.

Note:
The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware notification area icon may have a red triangle warning still. This should only be due to the need to run a scan. Please run a scan with MBAM and report your results from this repair routine.

If the issue is resolved, there’s no need to send the CheckResults.txt log created by the tool.
If the issue is not resolved, please locate the CheckResults.txt log on your desktop and send it as an attachment.

Maurice

After a long wait I have managed to open malwarebytes and tick the boxes not to start with windows and not to enable protection mode when starts. This has enabled me to restart the computer without malwarebytes running and all seems to be working OK.

In Avast I have malwarebytes entered in field shields and web shield as previously requested. I have also run an avast scan and not problems were found.

As the process you are suggesting may required some time and it is now late evening for me I will do it in the morning.

Thanks for you help so far and I will report back tomorrow.

Maurice

I disabled Avast and have followed the process.

During the process I got an app error message of:

The exception unknown software exception 0x40000015 at 0x78b2d6fd 

I clicked OK and continued. Version 2015.07.27.02 is installed.

The GUI states that Malware and Malicious web site protection is enable. But on looking at the check results file it states

Malicious Website Protection:      0 <--CAN NOT OPEN SC_HANDLE, SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING FOR: MBAMWebAccessControl
Chameleon:                         0 <--CAN NOT OPEN SC_HANDLE, SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING FOR: MBAMChameleon

Not sure what this means only what I see in two differenct places seems to be stating different things but not being technical I am not sure.

As I had an app error I am attaching the check results file so you can tell me if it is all OK. At the moment I have set Malwarebytes not to start with windows in case it has not solved the problem.

Can you please tell me what to do next. Thanks