Malwarebytes freezing XP computer

If at all possible, see if this can be done in regular Windows mode.   Otherwise, use ( if you have to ) Safe Mode with Networking.

and do the following:

download the file **Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.exe** from this link and save it to your desktop, or other easy to access location.
https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/7yxf8at2gv2yu3x4h6qlvtevziq3ziut

Next...double click on the Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.exe to run it (if running Windows Vista or Windows 7, right click and select Run as administrator)

Click “Yes” to the prompt “Do you want to install a modified Malwarebytes Anti-Malware dll files?”

A command window will open.

You should see several messages indicating files had been copied.

Click OK on the message box and press any key to close the command window which opened.

Now, click Finish on the installation screen, and MBAM should open without issue.

Let me know if that works.

NOTE:  •    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

NOTE: There may be more than 1 thing going on here, beyond any freeze-up.

I would suspect the Windows Management Instrumentation service is likely not on;  leading to inability for reports to show properly those couple of items in Checkresulsts amongst others.

If you had disabled some windows service at some point let me know.  Or even if you use some sort of "cleaner-upper / tweaking-magic tool".

Save the file SERVXP.zip attached to your system ( where you can find it easily).

After saving, go to it.   UNZIP the content.  You will see a SERVXP.BAT file.

That is a batch script intended to run in a Command prompt.  It will Reboot the system when it finishes.

Double click the file to get it started.

SERVXP.zip

I have installed the file in normal mode as fortunately I set malwarbytes not to automatically start at boot up.

I have run a malwarebyte scan and this time it did not freeze at the end of the scan. The only thing I haven't done yet is set Malwarebytes to start when I switch on the computer.

I did run CCleaner earlier this month as the computer was running very slow and I may have done something but I don't know.

I have also run the SERVXP.BAT file but without malwarebyte starting automatically. Should I have done this before running the batch script.

The script runs very quickly.  If it finished, that is all that matters.  and, no, it is not tied to the program.

From what you just reported, this machine is no longer having that startup freeze issue.   I would suggest you go ahead and turn on the Real-time protection.

CCleaner is fine for deleting temporary files & the like.   Just do not go overboard with anything to do with "registry".  Do not use any tool for anything doing with the registry unless you have guided expert help.

I have now set it to start with windows. The first restart it didn't start even though the box was ticked.

I restarted again the this time it did automatically start.

I will continue to monitor the situation.

However I have noticed that my key has changed from what it was when I purchased a life time license in 2011. There also is an expiration time of 376 days to run.

How do I get this changed please.

This XP freezing issues sounds exactly like what is happening for me. I clicked the MB update message from the system tray and the computer seemed to freeze. In particular, the hard drive light barely every turned on when normally the drive would be very busy. Needed to shut off machine and restart. That's when Windows dispalyed MB crash info.  Starting MB hangs the machine.  I will be watching and try to recreate the solution on my machine in the next few days. Thanks. This thread looks promising.

Roy

@ Roy

:welcome:

Caution:  Not all situations that may look the same are necessarily all alike.   That is to say, the devil is in the detail of each particular case.

When did yours first show up?  on the 25th / 26th ?  if so, there was short-lived issue that has been cleared up.

If not, what was exactly "your Error message" ?

You may try this:   

boot in Safe Mode with Networking,

then update Malwarebytes from the Dashboard by pressing Update now on that screen; 

restart the machine.

All should be well once you Update to the latest database.

I have 4 seperate computers Windows XP (each from different mfg's and different config's). Each one is running Malwarebytes home version. One was at a home locaiton and the others at a business location. Each one had these issues either over the weekend of today. One computer is now in process of being completely reloaded, the others were saved by going to Safe mode and un-installing Malwarebytes after several hours of debug. COULD have quit work today after this stuff. There are 3 more that will have this removed when they are turned on tomorrow. Note they all work fine once removed.

Nightmare scenario for many users!!!  Go to work and spend all day wondering and trying to figure out what the H is going on.

Sorry to butt in but if you were using the proper business version on those work computers you would not of had these issues at work. HOME version is not for business computers.

How does the computer know it is a business computer?

The computer does not "know" It is up to you to purchase the correct version of MBAM according to the use of the computer. The business version does NOT have these issues. It is against the user license to use the HOME version in the business. You would have had a trouble free day at work.

I also had this problem. My computer became unresponsive, then took literally hours to load my personal settings from the login page after bootup. For the first almost-an-hour, all that was on my desktop was the background pic, but Explorer was not running. When the process completed, the Malware icon indicated I had no protection, and clicking on Fix Me froze the computer again. I tried chkdsk /f, which reported a problem and caused the machine to shut down after a momentary BSOD flash. I finally solved the problem by changing the Malwarebytes settings to do not start with Windows. Attempting to run a manual scan froze the machine again. The only thing that made sense was to uninstall Malwarebytes. I have no interest in spending time with this on my XP machine, since I have a new Win 8 with Malwarebytes. I will use this machine until it dies or comes down with a fatal virus. I just wanted everyone to be able to see the problem description.

Sorry to butt in but if you were using the proper business version on those work computers you would not of had these issues at work. HOME version is not for business computers.

Not true. I had the trouble with the Pro edition on an XP laptop at work.

I just removed MB. My machine is cured.

I stand corrected. You are right and I need to get on the correct version. Total oversight on my part using the Home version at home for my personal computers - I liked it so well I didn't even pay attention to that detail when I added it at work. Good thing for getting on here and finding that out - I will move to the Corporate version because those HOME users are screwed. They can certainly figure it out on their own cause they have plenty of time on their hands.