Conflict between Malwarebytes 2.1.8.1057 and Avast 2015 10.3.2223.1143

I’d like to tell you about my latest “frustrations” in Windows-land, and this time between the products displayed in the subject.

My present OS: a fully updated Windows 7 Utimate Service Pack 1 and 64-bit Operating System.

My Malwarebytes packet: 2.1.8.1057, with the most recent updates.

For Antivirus I use Avast! Free.

I had no problems whatsoever between Malwarebytes 2.1.8.1057 (and previous releases) and Avast! Free dating before its latest release (2015 10.3.2223.1143).

But I do have them after I installed Avast’s latest release.

See, I regularly make an Acronis Drive Image, and before I start doing so, I chkdsk drive C:   [chkdsk c: /f /v]
You know, to chkdsk c:, one has to start up again. And so I did.
But alas! the chkdsk could not do its job, as some other installed program blocked this. And I was launched back to square one. Never in my computer life seen that happen before.
Tried this several times. Wasted effort!
Unfortunately enough the blocking program was not named.
So you go searching.

It so happened I unchecked some items in your Malwarebytes 2.18.1057 settings “Detection and Protection” : Advanced Heuristiscs and Archives.
Then I had Malwarebytes scan the computer.
Then I tried chkdsk again.
And lo and behold, it worked again!

As far as this 76-year-old can understand, there is a conflict between Malwarebytes' Heuristics and this Avast release.
Let me reiterate that this did not happen between Malwarebytes this and previous versions and Avast versions before their latest release.
I do not want to wag my finger at either Malwarebytes or Avast. Things like these can happen, I guess.
The question for me is: can this be fixed?

P.S.- A friend of mine has the same problems.

Hello Anandaji and :welcome:

Since you state chkdsk was able to run, did that five stage utility find/repair any issues with the C: partition?

Would you please set everything back to the way it was in MBAM and retry chkdsk again and reply to this topic with your results? i.e. are your observations repeatable?

If you do see a message that the chkdsk utility is again impeded, please make careful note of the error message content and include that in your reply.

Thank you.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Since you state chkdsk was able to run, did that five stage utility find/repair any issues with the C: partition?

Not any issue whatsoever. I've repeated it several times.

Would you please set everything back to the way it was in MBAM and retry chkdsk again and reply to this topic with your results? i.e. are your observations repeatable?

I am very sorry to say I do not intend to set everything back yet. As I said in my report, I tried it several times, all to no avail. And after it, I had to put my Drive Image back so as to be able to use chkdsk. Then I unchecked the mentioned items, and chkdsk dit it again.

If you do see a message that the chkdsk utility is again impeded, please make careful note of the error message content and include that in your reply.

I've tried to do that as well, but I was unable to. However, the internet will tell you you are not the only one that suffers form this kind of misery. So I found the message chkdsk gave me: "Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1"

I am not sure whether the number at the end is quite the same.

Also, I was advised to use the restore point. But how can one do so as all restore points appeared to have been removed by some unknown magic trick? By courtesy of  Microsoft?  :unsure:

Last night, I installed the most recent Avast release. I left the above mentioned "Detection and Protection" parameters unchecked. Now Malwarebytes hast jut done its scan. Result: I cannot use chkdsk.

Can you see how lucky I feel?  :angry: 

Still, thanks for your trying to help me.

Ananda

Hello Anadaji:

I believe I may be able to reproduce this issue also.  Let's gather some information from your system for staffers/experts to analyze:

• Please read the topic Diagnostic Logs and then individually ATTACH the 3 requested logs in your next reply to this thread only.
  • The 3 files, from Step 1, to be individually ATTACHED from your desktop are CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Zip or Copy and Paste them into a reply. Please do not alter, any FRST categories as they are pre-configured for this forum.

Thank You.

Hello

It's very kind of you to suggest me some possibilities to trace my problem.

But this 76-year-old man is a bit tired of trying things without knowing for sure they will really help. Mind you, I do not intend to insult you. It's just that this problem has exhausted me a bit. Glad I had Acronis Drive Image.

I have reinstalled Avast! Free Antivirus 2015 10.2.2218.942, and unchecked Advanced Heuristiscs and Archives again in Malwarebytes 2.18.1057 settings “Detection and Protection”. So far Malwarebytes Scan still allows chkdsk. 

Somehow there is a conflict, but I now think the culprit is Avast. I'm not going to install a new release on my laptop. If, in the (near) future, it begins to protest, I will remove it and install another AV. I was thinking of Avira. If that does not do the trick, then GData. I have Malwarebytes Premium 2.1.8.1057 and GData on my desktop, and so far they understand one another well I am happy to say.

So thanks again for your help. Perhaps you understand this old man...

Ananda

Wow - I just had a very similar, serious problem.  I still have XP Pro SP3 (using the updates for 2009 POS to keep it secure - there's a hack for that).  I've had Avast Free and Malwarebytes Free (passive) forever.  Today I updated my Avast Free and had a very bad meltdown - could not reboot

After struggling for a while, I rebooted (for the fifth time) into safe mode, checked Event Viewer, got the idea that BOTH Avast and Malwarebytes were having boot issues, went into msconfig, unchecked all Avast and Malwarebyte services and startup entries, was finally able to reboot into full XP successfully (Hallelujah), UNinstalled both Avast and Malwarebytes, rebooted again, reinstalled Avast, rebooted again, tried to reinstall Malwarebytes and immediately had issues.  So I UNinstalled Malwareytes again and it's still off.

Two things -

1)  Malwarebytes should offer an install of its Free version WITHOUT the trial period for Premium (as it used to do).  I want the choice to install Malwarebytes Free without any Premium, from the start.  I think Premium might be doing too much on my machine.

2)  Obviously, Malwareybytes should call Avast and work out the issue, and then PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Thanks.

1)  Malwarebytes should offer an install of its Free version WITHOUT the trial period for Premium (as it used to do).  I want the choice to install Malwarebytes Free without any Premium, from the start.

The Trial version is enabled by default during the setup wizard (1 Trial per PC per major program version).

If the user does not want the Trial, then all that's needed is to un-tick that option during installation (see screen shot).

If the user already has the Trial and wishes to revert to the Free version, then it's very easy to do so.

There are 4 options, any of which will work to end the Trial:

• Allow the trial to expire in 14 days & then click the "End Trial" button in the "Trial Expired" popup;
  • Click the "End Free Trial" link in the GUI;
  • Click the "End Trial" popup notification at any time from the "Trial Expiring" popup;
  • Perform a clean reinstall, using the method described here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x - be sure to "opt out" (remove the check mark from) the Free trial, IF it is offered again during the installation wizard.
  • (For users with the paid, Premium version -- not the Trial -- one can also click the "My Account" GUI link > "Deactivate". This will revert the program to the Free, manual, on-demand version.)

I hope this helps,

post-29793-0-42822000-1438458120_thumb.g

daledoc1 - thanks.  But I did not see that familiar window when I reinstalled this morning.   Are you  sure the most recent version has that window?

AFAIK, yes, it is still there.

If you did not see it, then the most likely explanation is that you already used the Trial for that program version on that system (the current policy is 1 Trial per computer per program version).

In any event, any of the 4 methods listed in my previous reply ought to get you back to the Free version.

As this topic was started by another user, if you need more help, then we respectfully suggest that you might want to please start your own separate forum topic.

That way, we can better provide both you and the Topic Starter with individual help.

Thanks,

Thanks.  But the topic is still the conflict between MBAM and Avast Free - it seems to a real issue.

...Then it would help if you could please post a set of basic diagnostic logs, as @1PW requested of the Topic Starter here. :)

Please attach all 3 of them to your next reply here in this forum thread.

The forum staff and QA team will analyze the logs and advise you further as to what might be needed.

Thank you again,

daledoc1 - Your first link (Farbar Recovery Scan Tool or FRST) is a tool that needs to be run in "the Recovery Environment using a PE Boot CD".  Well, how do I do that on my XP machine?  I don't think I have any such CD.  (My XP machine is a Dell Optiplex 755 that came with XP pre-installed, in 2008.)

Instead of using a CD, will FRST run if I first reboot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt?  Then will it tell me where to find the resulting log to attach here?  Are there any risks in running this tool?

Thanks.

Hi, @glnz:

Yes, both tools are safe.

FRST was developed by one of our forum experts, @farbar.

It is used 100s of times a day here and at other computer fora.

No, FRST does not normally need to be run from the Recovery Environment, unless one is unable to boot the system into Windows.

One just downloads it, saves it (e.g. to the desktop) and double-clicks the file to run it.

It will produce 2 logs.

mbam-check was developed by Malwarebytes staff and is hosted here.

It will produce 1 log.

Instructions are here: Diagnostic Logs

We need to see all 3 logs from both tools, if possible.

Thank you again,

The Trial version is enabled by default during the setup wizard (1 Trial per PC per major program version).

If the user does not want the Trial, then all that's needed is to un-tick that option during installation (see screen shot).

If the user already has the Trial and wishes to revert to the Free version, then it's very easy to do so.

There are 4 options, any of which will work to end the Trial:

• Allow the trial to expire in 14 days & then click the "End Trial" button in the "Trial Expired" popup;
  • Click the "End Free Trial" link in the GUI;
  • Click the "End Trial" popup notification at any time from the "Trial Expiring" popup;
  • Perform a clean reinstall, using the method described here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x - be sure to "opt out" (remove the check mark from) the Free trial, IF it is offered again during the installation wizard.
  • (For users with the paid, Premium version -- not the Trial -- one can also click the "My Account" GUI link > "Deactivate". This will revert the program to the Free, manual, on-demand version.)

I hope this helps,

Hi, just a heads up,

I just installed (the version which is discussed in this thread) Malwarebytes on my old Aspire one XP netbook and I'm pretty sure I did untick the "Enable free trial" checkbox  but it started with with premium features enabled anyway. I deactivated the trial and the I'm currently doing the first first scan. Maybe I made made a mistake or my computer was lagging or something. (Not a problem for me because I decided to not installl Avast. Trying AVG and it's already annoying me with popups.)

Being the one who started this topic, I'd like to tell you how I feel now.
First, there was a very nice mail I got from someone from Malwarebytes themselves. Alas , it did not help in the end.

Then I removed Avast completely, left Malwarebytes Premium on my computer, and installed a different AV product.
I wanted to install Avira, but was unsuccessful.
I tried AVG for a change. Not the one that is really my cup of tea, but... all problems solved. Still happy after two full days.

So the culprit seems to be Avast. And since it interferes with Malwarebytes, those people should contact them..

Kind regards,

Ananda.

Hi, @Anandaji:

Thanks for taking the time to update us.

The Malwarebytes staff has been alerted to the possible issues with Avast.

Needless to say, it will be up to Avast (with the help of Malwarebytes) to work out any problems at a programming level.

Perhaps the Malwarebytes team will update us all in this topic when they have more information.

We're sorry that your topic was inadvertently hijacked by other users.

Thanks again for reporting the issue and for your support.

Cheers,

• Root Admin

As the original poster is now running AVG and not having this issue I will go ahead and close this topic now.

If you're running Avast or Avira and having issues then please create your own new topic. Please don't hijack other user topics. Run the requested scans and post back the logs in your topic.

Please read the following and post back the 3 requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you