Taskbar icon disappears

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Let's try this first....

Thank You,

Firefox

I disabled my antivirus, uninstalled using the mbam clean removal tool, (didn't have self protection enabled). 

Restarted, then reinstalled.

After installation was complete I unchecked the option to start the trial version of Malwarebytes Pro.

It never asked me for my license key and when I look at the License information screen on the re-insalled program it's all blank. I have one of the lifetime licenses. See screenshot.

I am running a scan right now.

The icon in my taskbar has a red triangle w/white exclamation mark inside. What does that mean?

BTW, would you recommend that I have that self protection enabled ... and the self protection at boot?

P.S. Red triangle on icon gone now that scan is finished.

post-22338-0-99945600-1438740521_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I have to reopen this one for a minute. Everything was fine until the electricity went off while I was on my computer. Since then mbam icon appears in the taskbar hit and miss. Is it ok for me to use the same links I was given above, uninstall and reinstall it again?

Hi: :)

Until @Firefox returns...

Everything was fine until the electricity went off while I was on my computer.

Power outages/spikes can wreak havoc on a system without a surge protector and reliable UPS (uninterruptible power supply).

So, if rebooting the system does not fix it,  you might want to try a CLEAN REINSTALL -- be sure to reboot when prompted by the mbam-clean removal tool. It's a good idea to reboot again AFTER the reinstall, even if not prompted to do so.

Just for the record, though, can you please clarify one thing for us: 
When you refer to the "taskbar" are you referring to the area on the LEFT side of the bottom of the display (near the Windows start button/orb), or are you referring to the area on the RIGHT side of the bottom of the display (near the system clock), which is called the "notification area" or "system tray"?

The reason for asking:

• MBAM version 2 minimizes to the "notification area"/"system tray" (on the right), not to the taskbar (on the left).
  • However, there is a bug with the current build on SOME systems & some conditions where MBAM does indeed open minimized to the "taskbar" -- this is a known bug that will be fixed in a future release.

Please report back and let us know how it goes.

We may need to collect some diagnostic logs, if you're still having problems.

Thanks,

Thanks for your answer. 

I do have my computer plugged into a real good surge protector, but I do not have a UPS. I didn't even know they existed until recently but I fear they may be too expensive for me right now.

I am referring to the right side, notification area or system tray. I am sure it hasn't been minimizing to the left side.

I have mbam reinstalled again according to your Clean Reinstall instructions. But I am running into the same problem that I did last time. See my screenshot above about the license. 

Last time it finally allowed me to enter my license code, but this time it isn't. Across the bottom of the page are those three options in bright blue. Am I supposed to click on the Renew button? I can't remember if I did that last time or not. Please advise.

• Root Admin

Not sure about the icon issue but the logs show that there is some issues with the hard drive and with possibly Windows Search.

Please try doing a full disk check and running this Search Index fix and see if that helps.

Please visit the following site and run the fixit tool from Microsoft.
Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results

Then click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click and choose "Run as administrator" and type the following.

CHKDSK  C:  /R

Then press the Y key to run after a restart and restart the computer.

Then for now just do another reinstall of MBAM over the top of the current version and reboot again and let us know if the icon is okay now.

I opened mbam today by going into C/Program Files. I left it open and restarted. Since then, so far, the icon is showing in the notification area. However, my biggest concern is that my license status is not showing and since the clean uninstall and reinstall, I have not been given the option to insert my license key.

I am going to run the fixit tool from Microsoft that you gave me above. Then I will do the check disk thing, but I do want to advise you that it has only been perhaps 7-10 days since I ran this. Can you tell me what kind of hard disk issues you are referring to?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ran the Microsoft tool and I am attaching the 3 screens. It doesn't look to me like there was any problem.

post-22338-0-83309000-1440828591_thumb.j

post-22338-0-38975300-1440828635_thumb.j

post-22338-0-11943000-1440828671_thumb.j

• Root Admin

The Microsoft tool says it already found and fixed the issue. It is not always accurate about reporting  but I'm sure it fixed it as I've not seen any issue with the tool fixing the Search feature.

The disk check was good - just wanted to make sure as it says it was having trouble reading hash values which could be caused by disk errors.

Please wait and the help desk will assist you with any other issues with the program.

Thanks