MBAM 2.2.0.1022 & MBAE 1.08.1.1031 vs CNET

CliffS

I have installed Windows 10 insider leaked build 10558 in a VMware virtual machine(to test theme patching software later without nuking my system).

Then I suddenly thought of a How to Geek article: Here’s What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps and knew what I wanted to try :)

I prepared my VM(an unactivated clean install) by cleaning up the OS install leftovers using disk cleanup and Ccleaner(the ONLY 3rd party software before test), I let Windows sync with my account, made sure what can work on an inactivated build worked, then I installed both test Beta's from MBAM & MBAE, turned on the free trials, left them to defaults except MBAM, which I turned on rootkit scanning, and went to CNET downloading.

Windows only blocked one download, but Malwarebytes refused to let some crap on my system a few times, note: I tried to make sure I used the wrapper downloaders and not direct(I wanted to have fun right?), I also tried a couple at Softpedia.

Included in the attachment is a folder containing 3 folders and 1 file. Each folder has FRST - Addition - mbae-default.

1. Before test

2. After CNET Visit

3. After I ran scans with MBAM(and deleted the quarantined items

4.The file is mbam CheckResults log

Malwarebytes vs CNET.zip

So if anyone is interested in realworld results of both Malwarebytes test builds on Windows 10 Build 10558 using default settings, here they are.

By the way, it was fun to be able to just, once, click through the installers, without paying any special attention :D

Hi, @CliffS:

Interesting experiment! :D

Thanks for posting.

What AV are you running, Defender?

Let's see what others say. :D

Cheers,

P.S. Just curious: did you include the MBAM Scan and Protection logsin your zip folder?  (Some folks might be more inclined to review your findings if you were to attach the native *.txt log files, instead of a zip.)  Also, since this is sort of malware-related, the forum mod team *might* move this thread to another forum section. No worries, though. ;)

Hi, @CliffS:

Interesting experiment! :D

Thanks for posting.

What AV are you running, Defender?

Let's see what others say. :D

Cheers,

P.S. Just curious: did you include the MBAM Scan and Protection logsin your zip folder?  (Some folks might be more inclined to review your findings if you were to attach the native *.txt log files, instead of a zip.)  Also, since this is sort of malware-related, the forum mod team *might* move this thread to another forum section. No worries, though. ;)

Yup, I'm running Defender in the VM.

Oh I'll edit the post and add the scan logs008.png

So here I can just upload the text files without zipping? OK,  I zipped it all because, it was like in the initial post, a bunch of files, sorted in 3 folders.

About moving I can understand that. I just wasn't sure where post because it is both "beta2 builds that I had used. 

I just booted up the VM and got all MBAM's logs and added them to the unzipped folder and switched out the zipped for the unzipped, here they are with the others again(unzipped):

CheckResults.txt

Daily protection 1.txt

Daily protection 2.txt

scan 1.txt

scan 2.txt

scan 3.txt

scan 4.txt