Change RAM timings from 11-11-11-28 to 9-9-9-24

iamauser

My PC has 8GB of RAM 1600MHz and has timings 11-11-11-28. My friends PC has same speed RAM but has timings 9-9-9-24 which is faster in speed. I want to change the timings to 9-9-9-24 in BIOS but I afraid it will cause instability or not boot. Do you guys think that this will cause PC to not boot? (I'm not familiar in reset the CMOS)

If he has the exact same RAM and your timings are different, then it is likely he does NOT have the exact same motherboard and/or CPU. Your system may not support different timings.

That said, it is highly unlikely you will notice any improvement in performance - except maybe on paper (benchmark programs).

His PC RAM has same speed as me, 1600MHz, but more expensive then my RAM. My RAM timings is 11-11-11-28 by default, so I want to reduce the timings to become 9-9-9-24 in BIOS. Are you sure I am not going to get any improvement? If I buy RAM with 9-9-9-24 timings by default (ex: Corsair Vengeance RAM), will I notice the improvement?

Are you sure I am not going to get any improvement?

I said, it is highly unlikely you will "notice" any improvement.

If I buy RAM with 9-9-9-24 timings by default (ex: Corsair Vengeance RAM), will I notice the improvement?

Again, it is highly unlikely. There are many variables that affect performance and while RAM speed is one of them, RAM amount is much more important. So is CPU performance and graphics performance - not to mention bus speeds of the motherboard.

If looking to improve performance, I will take more RAM over faster RAM any day of the week. I would also look at a more powerful graphics card before swapping in faster RAM too (if I already had at least 8GB of RAM, as you do). Just remember the PSU must handle the greater demand of a more power hungry graphics card.

IF everything else about your two computers were EXACTLY the same (same motherboard, same graphics, same drives, same CPU), then and only then, maybe, you would see any difference.

If you want some real, applicable advice here, instead of just dealing with hypotheticals, provide your full system specs.

• Root Admin

I agree with Digerati

Unless you're looking to run benchmark programs all the time then playing with overclocking (which is basically what you're asking) often does lead to lock ups and instability but is sort of the idea or art of playing with it to see if you can squeeze more speed out of it. Not that the computer will provide so much more productivity for you by doing so.

Right there you gave the main difference. His memory costs more. Why do you think that is ? Better, Faster memory does cost more otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it for more money. If it were the same then everyone would buy the cheaper memory.

Unfortunately, all the hype over the last couple years about dual-channel has not panned out either. It really is a marketing ploy to get consumers to buy more RAM. It is important to note that dual-channel memory architecture has actually been around for nearly 50 years!!! And back then, when a few megabytes of RAM cost a fortune, and disk space cost another fortune, dual-channel was worth.

But today, when 2 x 4GB of RAM can be found for $50 or less, studies have shown any performance gains are marginal at best and the only real reason to install dual-channel is because RAM package RAM in pairs and sell it at a discount price!

Gamersnexus.net did a great, very thorough Dual vs Single Channel Comparison where they concluded,

...dual-channel just isn't necessary for the vast majority of the consumer market.

Gamers, mainstream users, and office users shouldn't care. Actually, at the end of the day, the same rule applies to everyone, simulation pro or not: It's density and frequency that matters, not channeling.

As for whether it's "worth it" to get a kit of two, the answer is generally going to be yes -- but primarily because it's rare not to find a good deal with two sticks.

Years ago, dual-channel "kits" were made of RAM the RAM makers individually tested and paired sticks with identical RAM to ensure they were exactly alike. Today, RAM manufacturing techniques are so much better and precise, every stick coming off the production line already matches the design specs so precisely, they no longer have to tested and matched. Also, today's memory controllers used in motherboards, chipsets and CPUs are much better at making slightly different RAM play well together. This is why you don't even have to buy the same brand anymore - just the same specs.

But regardless, since you already have 8GB of 1600MHz (that is, great density and speed/frequency), you really are set to go - in spite of your apparent desire to believe otherwise!

If I were you, and you wanted to increase performance, again, I would be looking at a better graphics solution and/or SSD.

But also again, if you really want to improve performance, and you want some sound, applicable advice here, I ask again, instead of just dealing with hypotheticals, provide your full system specs so we can help you decide where best to put your money for the most bang.