System Not Fully Protected

Hello, my name is Diane, and I purchased Malwarebytes for the first time yesterday, although I have used this wonderful programme for a long time.  Once installed, and updated.  Across the top I have the message:  Your System is not Fully Protected.....and then there is the red Fix Now...where nothing happens when I click on it.   Also, on the bottom of the page listing.. the message is :  Real Time Protection and beside that it says NO PROTECTION...with a red dot.

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong area, but would greatly appreciate any assistance on this matter.

Thank you so much..in advance

Diane

Hello Del_672 and :welcome:

Please begin here:

• Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x.
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and individually attach the 3 requested logs in a reply to this thread: Diagnostic Logs.
  • The 3 files, from Step 2, to be individually attached from your desktop are: CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Copy and Paste them into a reply.
Please advise the status of your issue in a reply to this thread.

Thank You.

looked like the suggested fix was running a removal of mbam and then a reinstall, but not exactly sure as it was not explained in the reply what the clean removal process entailed...so, before going to that extent,... I opened mbam, clicked settings, went into detection and protection...saw that malicious website protection and malware protection had become disabled...so I clicked on "recommended settings" which was showing above, to make sure everything that should be enabled was enabled.  That enabled them. obviously you can just click the enable button for each as well, but I wanted to be sure everything was the way it should be.  then I also right clicked on my mbam tray icon and made sure they were also showing as checked there.  After this I did a restart and all is fine the fix now thing is gone and I ran a scan, no issues.  This seems easier than running a clean removal, so hope it helps.

Hello Del_672 and :welcome:

Please begin here:

• Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x.
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and individually attach the 3 requested logs in a reply to this thread: Diagnostic Logs.
  • The 3 files, from Step 2, to be individually attached from your desktop are: CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Copy and Paste them into a reply.

Please advise the status of your issue in a reply to this thread.

Thank You

I find it interesting the first suggestion whenever there is a problem is to remove and reload. Has it occured to anyone with the new subscription validation server that every time you remove and reinstall the software to fix a Malwarebyte's issue it takes you one step closer to exceding the maximum allowable installs?  I have no idea as to what that maximum number is, but I do know if it is exceded it can take several days to get it resolved because Malwarebytes has no tech support number for real time resolutions.

I find it interesting the first suggestion whenever there is a problem is to remove and reload. Has it occured to anyone with the new subscription validation server that every time you remove and reinstall the software to fix a Malwarebyte's issue it takes you one step closer to exceding the maximum allowable installs?  I have no idea as to what that maximum number is, but I do know if it is exceded it can take several days to get it resolved because Malwarebytes has no tech support number for real time resolutions.

dantampa, its always best to start your own topic as everyone's computer is different.

If I am not mistaken, when the tool is used to remove Malwarebytes, all license info is removed. When you install and activate on the exact same computer, the validation servers will know that, so it will not show that you have it installed multiple times.

I am responsible for maintaining hundreds of workstations at dozens of unrelated sites and I am experiencing the same issue on the vast majority of them, even within my own office network. The affected ones started experiencing the issue several weeks ago, all within about 72 hours apart. That indicates to me it is a Malwarebytes commonality issue. So I don't think approaching the issue with an "all computers are different" view is going to be the most efficient or expedient way to handle it in my case...and possibly that of others coming to this forum for a solution.

I don't need to start my own topic as I am not seeking help as I'm looking to offer some. I know the idea for most heavy contributors on this forum is to treat every computer differently using the same methodical troubleshooting steps. But there is no way it is a corruption issue or a virus/rootkit issue which caused the occurrence on the majority of my client base at essentially the same time. If there are those that are experiencing the same problem as my clients then much of the standard troubleshooting methodology typically provided may not net the desired results.

I am not attempting to demean or berate anyone's attempt to help isolate the cause and find a resolution, and I would certainly expect the same from others. What I am attempting to bring to the discussion is to share my findings in hopes that I can save someone some aggravation and provide specific information on the issue which they may find beneficial.

For those of you that are experiencing the issue of not being able to manually enable malicious website protection, such as when you enable it and it immediately disables itself...the following is what has worked on my client's affected workstations.

The short version is...it seems something triggers Malwarebytes to disable Malicious Website Protection and when it happens you cannot manually turn it back on. You have to let Malwarebytes turn it on when you start the program. In order for it to happen you have to disable both real time protections and set Malwarebytes to automatically start the real time protections. Barring any other contributing factors...they should start properly the next time Malwarebytes is started.

For those that need the specific steps...

Open up Malwarebytes and go to "settings" and then go to "detection and protection" and DISABLE both Malware Protection and Malicious Website protection.

Then go to "advanced settings" and make sure both Malware protection and Malicious Website protection is checked to run when Malwarebytes is started. Close the window and then right click on the Malwarebytes icon in the lower right tray and left click on exit.  This will close down Malwarebytes.

Now restart Malwarebytes and the error should be gone. On rare occasions I have had to restart the computer and then repeat the steps.

Be warned this fix will most likely be temporary. It may work for a few hours,  few days or maybe only until the next time you reboot. As something is triggering Malwarebytes to turn off Malicious Website Protection and that is something Malwarebytes will have to address in order to have a permanent fix.

Removal and reinstallation may work, because it essentially accomplishes the same thing that is accomplished by the steps I outlined. Malwarebytes turns the protections on automatically the first time it is started after an installation...but you are still just as vulnerable to whatever triggered the disabling of malicious website protection in the first place.

I have played with different variations of my procedure, similar to the one DRH255 explained and had some success, but my above steps are the only steps I found to be able to consistently get the same results from one workstation to another. I am still trying to isolate the trigger that causes the issue in the first place, but so far it has eluded me.

I hope it helps.

Hi dantampa...I also forgot to mention that I did one other thing that I found mentioned on another site. I went into settings...into automated scheduling...then I double clicked on the one schedule event I had there (but said you can click on any) which opens up another window...here, I unchecked "check for updates before scanning"...someone found that this recently began triggering errors when the update check begins automatically in conjunction with a scan. I have not had any other issues and have rebooted a few times due to some itunes and carbonite updates I have done.

• Root Admin

Well I'm sorry to disagree but with millions of users and several years of using the program we've had a very small percentage of users with the issue. In some cases there were issues with the program but the vast majority of users it is due to infections and in some cases incompatibility of the network drivers. There is no single magic bullet that is going to fix it for all users. So I will be closing this topic and asking anyone that is having a specific issue to please open their own topic or contact the Help Desk and we will assist you.

Thank you