Use of 9-cell Battery in 6-cell bays or vice versa..

sman

Hi:

This is offered "as is", as I do not have the expertise to warrant the information provided.

However, a very quick internet search of "Acer 4736z battery" turned up this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aspire-4736G-4736ZG-Laptop-Battery/dp/B005H3E4Z2

• High quality brand-new Li-Ion battery,11.1v 8800 mAh 12 cells
  • 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. 1 Year Warranty
  • OEM compatible! High capacity battery certified by CE and RoHS. Guaranteed to meet or exceed OEM specifications
  • Before purchase please make sure all the technical specifications and the model No. match with your laptop battery.
  • If your original battery is a 6-cell battery, this 12-cell battery has much higher capacity and works longer hours after each charge. However, it is bigger, heavier and sticks out due to the extra 6 cells. It will still fit in your laptop.

There are many other options, as well.

And this: Acer Aspire 4736Z-4692 Notebook specs

Google is a powerful tool. :)

Cheers,

Hi:

No idea, sorry.

More information about your specific computer would be needed, as there may be models that can support the larger battery and others that cannot.

The most efficient way to obtain detailed and accurate information re: hardware specs would be the manufacturer website, using the specific "serial number" or "service tag" or similar information that is unique to your own computer.

We here at the forum can only speculate and provide general advice, especially without that specific information about YOUR computer.

Examples:

U.S.

http://us.acer.com/support

Worldwide

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Drivers and Manuals

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Thank you,

All that counts are three things.

• Form factor
  • Voltage
  • Minimum power rating in Ampere-Hours ( Ah )

If those criteria are met then the battery will work fine.

Therefore if you have a battery that has the correct voltage and it physically fits the form factor but has a higher Ah rating then that battery will last longer in the device than one with a lower Ah rating.

Let's assume, for the sake of this information, a 4.4Ah ( 4400mAh ) battery lasts 2 hours in a given notebook.  One can then deduce that a 8.8Ah ( 8800mAh ) rated battery may last for 4 hours.

This is the same whether the battery is Alkaline, Sealed Lead Acid ( SLA ), Nickel Metal Hydride ( NiMH ), Lithium Ion ( LiON ) or Nickel Cadmium ( NiCd ).

On the form factor, what I found is. A 6-cell battery may be the same form factor as a 9-cell, but the 6-cell will weigh less since there’s less chemical in it to hold onto that charge.

So, for a given form factor, one can go for the battery rating of his choice (6/9/12 cells)..

there is no hard & fast rule as far as voltage r concerned, as some manufacturers go by 3.6 v/cell and some by 3.7 v/cell (for my 6-cell battery I find 10.8v & 11.1 v, which r one &  the same)..

Thamks @David..

"So, for a given form factor, one can go for the battery rating of his choice (6/9/12 cells)."

As long as it meets minimum requirements.

As for voltage, that is set my the manufacturer of the device.  The rule is set by them.  What voltage a given device can handle is determined by the electronic circuits within the device.  The voltage is an important construct in "compatibility".

On checking further, acknowledge that Form factor does have a say in compatibility for a given laptop make & model.. I find that the 9-cell & 12 cell will hv extensions and keep laptop raised from normal (as in my Laptop model Acer 4736z) and in turn heavier to lug/carry the laptop..Then one has to decide whether it's longer battery backup or economy & other factors to go with..

Form Factor has nothing to do with weight or what is in its interior such as the number of cells.

Form Factor has to do with the ability of the battery to physically fit in the battery compartment and for the battery to mate device connections.

Weight has only has a marginal association with compatibility.  A battery that weighs 100 pounds would be incompatible with a laptop that weighs 5 pounds.  However a battery that weighs 2 pounds would not be incompatible.

The weight of a battery is more about aesthetics and usability.

BTW:  This forum does not limit the time it takes to write a query or to reply nor does it limit the number of characters you can use.  Please write in English.  Please stop using "u" for "you", "r" for "are", "hv for "have" and so on.  It is extremely hard to understand what you write and to attempt to interpret what you are trying to express when you bastardize the English language.  

With SMS a part & parcel of life, the messaging culture finding it's way in, into other communication modes is well accepted..

I have never said that weight has to do with compatibility, but about laptop going heavier with additional cells in place and in turn the inconvenience in carrying/lugging it around..

What i tried to convey, is that whether it's 6/9/12 cells, it would still fit in but with extensions/projections with 9/12 cells (6 cells in the normal bay and 3/6 below, which could cause the laptop to be in raised position, when rested)..

Also, with Form factor literally unique to make/model, unless the manufacturer has also designed the higher rating batteries arrangement, for the given form factor, the option to go for higher battery rating may not exist..

And, even if the manufacturer has designed the extended battery setup's too, if they are not much in demand, like in my case, the 12 cell option is not freely available and no wonder, users are left un-awares..