Hijack.Host-false positive

SKIBA

Can you also confirm which HOSTS file provider you're using please?

Note: if hpHosts, please specify whether it's the "full fat" HOSTS or a merging of the custom options.

/edit

Please also provide the URL for "Hosts Block".

I give up. It took me 4 goes to post the first time. I now try to attach the log file and I get

Your secure key, used to verify you are posting the topic, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again

this happened over and over again first time. it seems it logs me out each time. you have a faulty web site as well

by the way I ran n spybot, herd protect and 360 security and they were clean

I too found the six files with Malwarebytes this morning  in c/Windows/system/system32/etc/hosts. I quarantined them.Do I need to restore them?I was skeptical because my system is relatively fresh install.Found this forum before I deleted.

I mis- typed it is C/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts

Can you also confirm which HOSTS file provider you're using please?

Note: if hpHosts, please specify whether it's the "full fat" HOSTS or a merging of the custom options.

/edit

Please also provide the URL for "Hosts Block".

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I see that not only I had such a problem. You see, last updated databases found that the HOSTS file has been modified by malware. Earlier scan did not detect anything. I hope it was fixed. ;)

• Staff

Looking further into the issue.. there will be another small fix that will go out in the next database update that should resolve a bunch of the issues you folks are seeing.

Researching a few of the entries in the hosts files.. I can see why now they are there in the first place..

Most AV products, Microsoft, etc collect some data on how users use the product(s), as for AV - threats found and so on.

Most of this is all for telemetry purposes. An example being, if we visit Symantec to see what the top 10 threats are, this info is only available because of telemetry collected from real live user machines. Some will find this useful, some find it intrusive to privacy.

Some refer to it as "data mining" and are concerned about it, so HOSTS files were created so this telemetry collections cannot occur.

So really, these connections would normally happen as designed by the products we use.

Often malware will insert into the HOSTS file blocks on common AV products so you can't get updates or download the product.

Therefore a good many AV/AS products remove entries in hosts files pointing to AV/AS & Microsoft domains.

It is often difficult to tell whether this is a custom entry put there by the user or something malicious did it.

If you want to keep the entries in the hosts files, have MBAM ignore the detections.

If you ignore these (always), the next scan should not show them.