Scan takes long time

Hi,

Today i ran scan (selected scan) check C drive with rootkit scan enabled but scan takes 4 hours 30 minutes and still continues.
When i scaning this (64 GB) with kaspersky takes 1 hour 40 min max.

I tried add MBAM.exe to kaspersky trusted applications because i thought that mbam will be faster but not.

Newest version 2.2.0.1024 installed.

Hello and Welcome!

Scan times vary from computer to computer and it all depends on the number of files on any given system as well as many other factors. So what you are seeing is probably normal (if you are performing a Custom Scan (full scan)).

Sounds as if you were running a full scan (custom scan) of your hard drive. Those can take quite some time. Full scans are really not the norm, and the recommended scan types are Threat Scans.

Some more info for you...

Yes scan times with version 2.0x will take longer and that is due to the new scan engine and the new features, which means more locations are being scanned for better detection...

Scan Times vary due to many factors some of which are listed below.

Size of disk

Disk type

Disk speed

Disk caching

CPU speed

Controller type and speed

Operating System used

Amount of files

Amount of folders

Rootkit scan or not (is this enabled)

Archive scan or not (is this enabled)

Amount of archived files such as zip, rar, sfx, etc.

PUM/PUP scans

Other security programs running at the same time that may potentially be monitoring all file accesses by any other process.

Drive integrity - if a drive is failing it can take a long time to ignore and bypass sectors on a disk or simply fail period and hang the scan.

Other ongoing disk I/O processes

System being infected can also affect speed of scans

Also note that changes in the MBAM database can also cause scan times to increase or decrease, so that's another factor to consider.

As mentioned => HERE <=

I have only few zip files and kaspersky default set off. 

It is an old notebook but scanning with eset or kaspersky without problem.

Size of disk - 320 GB
Disk Speed - 5400 RPM
Disk caching - don´t know
CPU - 1,6 GHz 2 cores
OS- Windows 7 32 bit
Rootkit scan - enabled

Quick update - yesterday i ran scan 64 GB or 65 GB scanned per 4 hour 50 minutes but i use my notebook for browsing internet when scanning is on. Today i ran scan on drive D where is  97 GB used 2 hours 40 minutes but without user interaction (without browsing internet). Maybe it is by this i use notebook when scanning?

Hi, @nexon:

Until @pondus and @Firefox return... :)

The recommended MBAM scan type is a Threat scan.
It looks in places live malware is likely to hide.

Routine, full, "custom" scans of all mounted volumes/drives are neither necessary nor recommended.
They will be slow, could cause unnecessary wear on your drive, and are a task better suited to your anti-virus.

If you still need more help with this, we could better assist if you could please provide a bit of system info.
If so, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

More info about v2.2.0 HERE
Version 2.2.0 Release History HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Cheers,

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that the computer is probably infected. You're also running uTorrent which is a good way to infect your computer.

You're running Diskeeper which is pretty much unneeded (disk drives don't need defraging all that often and if or when you need to Windows 7 has it built-in to do)

You're running Java (best if at all possible to not run Java)

You have an older 5400 RPM hard disk along with multiple security product - the computer is going to scan slowly regardless. Want faster scans you need better hardware like an SSD drive.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you

Yes PUP (Potentionaly unwanted program) was detected Open candy but in program Freemake... last i heard uTorrent had open candy. I give attention during installation rather I choose the custom installation than express ..

Running diskeeper --> yes because my pc is much faster than ever because as you know Microsoftt is not professionall in this sfere also in antivirus like defender or MSE this rather i prefer professional antiviruses.

Yes i have java - only for downloading some stuff and also some programs needs java, i have turned off. Turns on when some program needs it. 

I know as i wrote i have 5400 RPM disk it is an old notebook from 2008 year but still good. I'm planning that i build my next pc...

• Root Admin

I was a user of diskeeper way back in the 95/98 and some in XP but these days I find no scientific evidence to show or prove that diskeeper does a better job. In fact the underlying code of diskeeper is calling Microsoft's own API to defrag the drive, but up to you if you want to keep or use it.

Completely up to you. It's your PC but any chance of speeding up the current one would be to get rid of some startup items and scan, remove PUP or threats if found. No one here is going to force you to go scan and clean your computer. If you do change your mind though please post as requested.

Thanks you again

Ron

Yes but 95 and 98 the years are gone... Now i use diskeeper 2011 under windows 7.
Please see this article - SUMMARY --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/130539

(All versions of Microsoft Windows include a tool for disk defragmentation. The Windows Disk Defragmenter tool is a limited version of the Diskeeper program from Diskeeper Corporation. Disk Defragmenter does not include all the features available in the full version of Diskeeper).

Automatic defragmentation starts without me knowing (low impact on my system). Diskeeper service in task manager only 6 MB.

Start up - i check this in mscongih and delete Java from start up. I have only Realtek (sound card), synaptics (touchpad) and adobe updater. Also kaspersky runs but not listed here.

PUP was of course cleaned.

Thanks for your info and time.

• Root Admin

Fully understand and know about diskeeper (they were a block from my work at the time and I even had main Engineer over and we discussed many things with him as we were a very large corporation and have many thousands of systems to work on). If you're happy with it that's what counts. But it's the other features such as automation and scheduling and different types of degrags that allowed them to have a product to sell, but again all the real defrag work was done by the underlying Microsoft built-in API code. No one has proprietary code to defrag the drive.

I'll go ahead then and close your topic and wish you well.

Take care

Ron