KIS 2010 & MBAM real-time protection Compatible?

blr419

I often read about not having two real-time scanners running on one computer because they can cause conflicts with one another and diminish the effectiveness of each. I understand this for the most part, but would this apply in the instance of running Kaspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes real-time protection? I have run both on my computer for over a year now and I haven't experienced any issues. Nonetheless, I'd like to put this issue to rest once and for all if I can. Is it ok to run KIS 2010 and the rel-time version of MBAM at the same time? If possible, could you please provide a short explanation as to why or why not.

I run Kaspersky Antivirus with MBAM in realtime with exactly 0 issues, and have for a very long time. I know of several other users who have done the same with KIS. The only recommendation I would make would be to exclude the following files from Kaspersky via the method described here (be sure to click next to all 4 boxes for each executable you add):

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I thank you for your the info. I already have MBAM KIS 2010 exclusion list, and as I previously stated, I have never had an issue and I remain infection free. I guess what I am in search of some type of response that says, I have intimate knowledge of how MBAM works and I can tell you that there is no conflict between the two.

I have fairly intimate knowlege of both and aside from perhaps a future driver change in either product, I can see no possibility of conflicts. I've even tested it by trying to create a "lock up" scenario by downloading a file that I know both of them detect as malicious. Kaspersky always gets to it first before MBAM even sees it, which it should since it scans files on access, unlike MBAM which only scans them in realtime on execution in memory (this is by design so that MBAM won't interfere with antivirus software).

• 1 year later...

Not that we know that they can run together, I want to know if they should run together. What are the specific advantages advantages of running both concurrently? Is a person ok just running KIS realtime protection and running occasional scans with Mbam? Does Mbam realtime protection catch things that KIS doesn't?

Not that we know that they can run together, I want to know if they should run together. What are the specific advantages advantages of running both concurrently? Is a person ok just running KIS realtime protection and running occasional scans with Mbam? Does Mbam realtime protection catch things that KIS doesn't?

I believe they should. I've seen on more than one occasion where MBAM caught something that Kaspersky did not. The biggest advantage though, really comes from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's malicious website blocking mechanism. It can block malicious ads on safe websites as well as malicious websites themselves, thus preventing many infections from having the opportunity to infect you.

I should also ask about system performance when running both simultaneously?

I have had no issues with performance at all, especially after excluding the two programs from one another:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus:

1. Open Kaspersky and click on Settings in the upper right-hand corner
  2. Click on the right-most icon in the upper left to access Detected Threats and Exclusion Rules
  3. Under Exclusions click on Settings...
  4. In the Trusted zone window that pops up click on the Trusted applications tab
  5. Click on the Add button and select Browse
  6. In the browse window that opens navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Double-click on mbam.exe and in the window that pops up, click the box next to each of the items listed in the window so that they are all checked and click on OK
  8. Do the same for each of the following:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe

[*]Once that is complete, click on OK to close the exclusions window

[*]Click on Apply at the bottom of the Settings window then click on OK

[*]Close the Kaspersky main window

Set Exclusions for Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Kaspersky Lab and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware