Anti Virus Help.

snowyman

Can someone help me choose which anti virus to use with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I have the free version but I'm going to buy the full one and I'm not sure about what will happen.

I have the free AVG now but want to change, I am thinking about Trend Pro 2010. Any suggestions?

Hi snowyman

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good as well as avast! and avira.

If you decide on MSE you will need to add malwarebytes' to its ignore list as there have been known problems. Check here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...mp;#entry181018

Also I'm unfamiliar with Trend micro products other then hijackthis.

Thanks. I was reading that thread, that's what got me worried.

I've been told about Avast, looks good. Any problem with them running together?

I was checking AVG Internet Security 9, paid version. It's cheaper than Avast but I don't mind paying if it works.

I also support the proposal for MSE. However, I can't deny that Avast 5 also is very good because there are very serious improvements. There is no problem with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. I'm try this combination and I'm pleased with the outcome, which saw!

The following are my recommendations for antivirus protection along with links to downloads for them (free trials for those that require a purchase so you can try them before deciding):

Note: If you decide to use one of the trial versions of one of the paid antiviruses then you will either need to purchase it or uninstall it completely and install a replacement antivirus before the trial expires so that your PC is not left unprotected.

Also note that if using the paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with your antivirus in realtime that it is generally a good idea to exclude Malwarebytes' files from your antivirus to avoid conflicts. The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

I had to remove avast! V5 from my old XP Pro system due to hangups when new updates arrive.

I tried everything to keep avast! V5 as I like it very much but alas my XP Pro's 2.8GHZ P4 is not swift enough to keep up with modern software even with me adding more RAM to bring it up to 1.5GB and trying all the tips supplied. :)

Microsoft Security Essentials replaced Windows Defender as my anti virus application.

The combination of Malwarebytes Pro with Windows Defender and avast! v4.8 worked well for me and I am not going to give up Malwarebytes so it stays and avast! goes. :)

Try this combination it has done pretty well for me.

Microsoft Security Essentials-Antivirus

Malwarebytes' Pro-Antimalware

SpywareBlaster-Blocks active x based spyware in IE

HostsMan-Updates host files which can block infected sites or ads.

WinPatrol-Monitors for system changes

Online Armor-Firewall that gives you more control and options then Windows Firewall

I have decided to return to avast! V5 on my XP Pro system as I like to have one anti virus application that runs on both systems.

SpywareBlaster is passive protection for IE as well as Firefox but it does not check for updates automatically unless you buy the Pro update for $9.95USD so I check for update anouncements regularly.

WinPatrol is very good to have either Free or PLUS

WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. WinPatrol was the pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. It continues to be one of the most powerful system monitors while staying a single small program.
http://www.winpatrol.com

WinPatrol Free vs PLUS

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

These are my tools that I use in my Layered Protection approach to the prolific malware purveyors on today's Internet.

I keep them up to date as well as Windows and Patch Tuesday is tomorrow on the 9th.

I'm in good hands now as avast! developers will be in dialog with MBAM developers:

Avast 5 + MalwareBytes Pro = Conflict? --> More info needed.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55210.msg467281#msg467281

I use Cyberdefender anti-virus. I got the free anti-virus scanner first off there website (www.cyberdefender.com) which found a lot of stuff on my system and got rid of the spyware and Trojans. I also had viruses, so I bought the upgrade which got rid of everything on my system. I also found that the paid one came with 24/7 computer help, which I used twice and they were very helpful. So, for me, Cyberdefender works great.

Hi -

For mine I have now settled on basically the same as Maniac - As per my signature below - MSE has proved its worth at least 4 times, and as a free A/V seems to be well worth it, as long as you make sure it is always updated (auto updates daily, but you can also manually check) -

I had a quick hit at Avast, but that was prior to them trying to mend a few minor problems with version 5 -

Thank You - :D

Snowyman,

I recommend Avira, MSE, or Kaspersky.

I just purchsed Kaspersky AV 2010 :D I am going to install it today. Switching from AVG Internet Security.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend CyberDefender at all.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend CyberDefender at all.

CyberDefender is rather strange if you ask me. Long story short, I tried infecting my spare computer with www(dot)doublemyspeed(dot)com and www(dot)supercleanpc(dot)com and they both had it. For a malicious site that was rather odd.

@ Buttons

Yeah, doublemyspeed is not good at all & CyberDefender is rather borderline legit as far as I know... I wouldn't touch either, ever. I've seen the first one advertised on TV though... scary.

Snowyman,

I recommend Avira, MSE, or Kaspersky.

I just purchsed Kaspersky AV 2010 :) I am going to install it today. Switching from AVG Internet Security.

I was going for Avast at first but YoKenny1 turned me off it, so I bought Kasperspy Internet Security 2010, didn't worry about the free trial.

It was on special because it's new here, $108 for two years & 3 computers. It looks ok and better than AVG I hope. Thanks for the help.

Buttons -

They got radio commercials for doublemyspeed now along side tv. Although I have yet to see supercleanpc radio commercial. I did however see a finallyfast(dot)com commercial just recently which I heard has been circulating.

Next thing Iobit will be advertising as the Great Asian Fixer - :D:)

snowyman,

Glad you decided to to with Kaspersky Internet Security :) I hope you like it. I'm liking my Kaspersky so far :)

Please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying :)

Guest jessekaye

AVG is okay, but virus writers seem to be targeting it lately. And more and more users seem to be turning away from it for different reasons. If you want to step up, you might try either Avira or Avast. Avira picks up things that others miss, which is good, but sometimes they are false positives. And Avast has that scan at startup feature people really seem to like.