Malwarebytes won't open

Hello,

I am not able to open my copy of malwarebye's anti-malware. I have a full licensed copy and first it was not able to stay open in guard mode and now it won't open at all. I posted this problem on PC help a while ago, but no one replied.

Please help. Every time I try to open it, it says anti-malware has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Thanks.

Hi -

First remove all old traces of Malwarebytes with the method listed below - You do not list your Operating System so I have covered all versions -

You should have the email sent from Cleverbridge with your Key and ID included - Install these only where listed -

If you still have a problem post back with your Antivirus program as that may be blocking it -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

Okay, I'm doing this right now. I am running Windows XP. I also noticed that when Malware's anti-malware stopped working, so did my copy of Daemon Tools, which is a virtual CD program.

I will report what happens. Thanks.

I am not able to download the copy of mbam-clean. What's going on? Is there a mirror for that?

Okay, I just sent them an e-mail. Here is a copy of my e-mail as an update to the situation:

"Recently, something happened to my copy of malwarebytes. It refused to stay open in protect mode and then it stopped working all together. I followed the instructions on the forums and uninstalled the program and restarted my computer. I installed the program again and re-started and now the program works. I updated the program and ran a quick scan. It found something called a "Rookit.Dropper" and quarantined it.

Now, I keep getting pop-ups saying that a malicious site has been blocked. This happens every minute or so and it is very distracting. I looked up the IP Addresses and they belong to someone in Russia. I don't have any programs that would connect to Russia, and I think this must be some malware. Your program is catching it, but it doesn't seem to be removing it. Please help?"

That is quite OK - Support will reply within 24 hours usually -

Thank You -

I seem to have hit a snag with tech support. For some odd reason, I am not able to send the log file as an e-mail attachment. It just causes Hotmail to freeze. Even stranger, when I try to cut and paste the contents, Hotmail outright disconnects and refuses to send it. As a test, I would like to see if I can cut and paste it here:

Hmm.... I can't...... nevermind... it terminated my Firefox connection. Odd. If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

That is quite OK - Support will reply within 24 hours usually -

Thank You -

I seem to have hit a snag with tech support. For some odd reason, I am not able to send the log file as an e-mail attachment. It just causes Hotmail to freeze. Even stranger, when I try to cut and paste the contents, Hotmail outright disconnects and refuses to send it. As a test, I would like to see if I can cut and paste it here:

Logfile of random's system information tool 1.08 (written by random/random)

Run by John at 2010-07-12 22:00:04

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

System drive C: has 2 GB (9%) free of 19 GB

Total RAM: 1534 MB (56% free)

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4

Scan saved at 10:00:24 PM, on 7/12/2010

Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe

D:\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Setup\svchost.exe

D:\Veoh Networks\Veoh\VeohClient.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\RSIT.exe

C:\Program Files\trend micro\John.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\Userinit.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\Program Files\BitComet\tools\BitCometBHO_1.2.8.7.dll

O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Browser Plug-in - {D0943516-5076-4020-A3B5-AEFAF26AB263} - D:\Veoh Networks\Veoh\Plugins\reg\VeohToolbar.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [soundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "D:\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Veoh] "D:\Veoh Networks\Veoh\VeohClient.exe" /VeohHide

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [steam] "d:\steam\steam.exe" -silent

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')

O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')

O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload &with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddLink.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all video with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddVideo.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: &D&ownload all with BitComet - res://C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe/AddAllLink.htm

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1