Intervalhehehe

gpsam

I am brand new to this forum and came here to help a friend.

He had a RAR file and being new to computers, didn't know what to do with it.

I directed him to CNet to download WinRar. Major mistake.

After downloading and installing, I was speaking with him over the phone and he said a popup kept coming up with Intervalhehehe on it.

I told him to hold as I checked the internet and sure enough I had to tell him that I led him to a virus.

I have already informed CNet about this but still haven't found a quick cure for the virus.

I downloaded the file and ran my virus checker on it and Spybot and they do not pick it up.

I am running Ad Aware now to see if it can catch it.

I am writing this because I found a reply on your site stating it probably didn't come from WinRar.

It did not come from their site but it did from others from what I have found so far.

The scary part is that the checkers do not pick it up in the file.

The only other thing I can think may have happened, is that he had the virus and the download was a coincidence.

I doubt it because I have read many that have stated they received the virus the same way.

If anyone has an easier way of removing it, please let me know.

I feel responsible for sending him to the site for the file and he lives over an hour from me to drive there and fix it.

He is new to computers.

Thanks

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

If you have problems with that link, you can also download it from Here or Here

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
  • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
    If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here
    and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.

[*]If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

[*]The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.

[*]When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".

[*]Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

[*]Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

[*]Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

[*]When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.

[*]The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

[*]Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process.

Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.