Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2 released

I am now current via the internal update feature, however, it should be noted that many of the update mirror sites are still not current. A suggestion perhaps would be to lock the internal update feature on the freeware build in order to avoid the disappointment of download and installing duplicate software.

I am one of those that turns off phone-home features such as the internal update feature. However, I did to enable the download of the current version.

CNET now has the correct build showing as this was not the case once the announcement was made. Since MBAM does not host a download server, there should be some control as to who is hosting what and when. Hypothetical scenario, if a new build is announced, and one points to a third party site for download - should the onus be on the user to verify if the correct build is hosted on that site ?

Thanks,

The free version using the internal updater should also update to the proper version. We have little control over sites like CNet that host our software as well.

Thank you

.... Hypothetical scenario, if a new build is announced, and one points to a third party site for download - should the onus be on the user to verify if the correct build is hosted on that site ?

They sort of rely on the updater to make sure that the version of the program that any particular user has (freshly installed or not) is current. Obviously, if a user doesn't run the update, and they installed an outdated version, then they don't get the latest program version. At the same time, even the latest program version will be limited in its detection capabilities without the latest database, so running the update is always important even if you have the latest program version.

A good counter-point would be, if a user installs an old version of the program and doesn't run the update, that their database will be even more outdated than if they had installed the latest version of the program and not run the update.

As far as update mirrors, I do know that some companies prefer to wait to announce a new release until after all of the update mirrors have the new version of their program and are ready to host it for download.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to avoid testing the new version until the fix was confirmed, since the immediately prior version generated a path error upon start up and it took a bit time to figure out what was happening and get back to normal operation. I prefer knowing the problem is resolved before reinstalling it on my primary computer. If it were my backup computer I would experiment but my backup computer has a C main drive and both versions of MBAM work on it.

I was trying to avoid testing the new version until the fix was confirmed, since the immediately prior version generated a path error upon start up and it took a bit time to figure out what was happening and get back to normal operation. I prefer knowing the problem is resolved before reinstalling it on my primary computer. If it were my backup computer I would experiment but my backup computer has a C main drive and both versions of MBAM work on it.

Hello poolmon,

We are currently working on a permanent fix for this issue.

That being said, we have a work-around and I am Private Messaging you the fix. Please check your private inbox.

Thank you.