What are you watching ?

AdvancedSetup

• 2 weeks later...

HALT and CATCH FIRE on AMC.. Cable TV series about a 3-some designing a IBM compatible computer (early 1980s) that looks suspiciously like the Osbourne Executive (which ran CPM instead of M$ Basic) so 'tisn't it.. From the pilot I originally thought it was going to be a fictionized story about how COMPAQ came about *but* Compaq is already mentioned in a passing example (of beating IBM's patents) in the story and already exists.

1. Halt and Catch Fire, known by the mnemonic HCF, refers to several computer machine code instructions that cause a computer's CPU to cease meaningful operation. The expression "catch fire" is intended as a joke; the CPU does not literally catch fire, but it does stop functioning. It is also occasionally referred to as "SDI" for "Self Destruct Immediate".
  2. One apocryphal story about the HCF instruction goes back to the late 1960s, when computers used magnetic core memory. The story goes that in order to speed up the core memory on their next model the engineers increased the read/write currents in the very fine wires that were threaded through the cores. This worked fine when the computer was executing normal programs, since memory accesses were spread throughout memory. However, the HALT instruction was implemented as a "Jump to self". This meant that the same core memory location was repeatedly accessed, and the very fine wires became so hot that they started to smoke — hence the instruction was labeled "Halt and Catch Fire"

/Steve

HALT and CATCH FIRE on AMC..

Yep - AMC is hoping it will be their next big thing, to replace Breaking Bad and Mad Men (since The Killing and Rubicon didn't catch on).

One of the creators/writers actually has family ties to the "Silicon Prairie" -- one of the characters is based loosely on his dad, IIRC.

I've been pretty impressed with the first 2 episodes, so far.

Someone sent me an interesting article about the show's creation and development a month or so ago:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2014-05-15/film/the-unlikely-engineering-of-halt-and-catch-fire/

Thanks DD.. I'll take a look. (I'd also forgotten about RUBICON) - I swear almost every darned program these networks get me hooked on don't get renewed. MAD MEN has 6 eps in the can for a 2015 showing but is one of those that HAS outlived itself.) USA has a couple of great ones like SUITS which was renewed and a few others..) NBC gets a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG raspberry for cancelling REVOLUTION..

And I hate ALL of them for cancelling all the various lawyer shows (except SUITS), as well as TERRA NOVA (*snif*) and STARGATE-UNIVERSE (*Wahhhhhh*)

BLACKLISTED got renewed.. (high 5!!)

On and ON..

BUT; a reality show.. Singing with the Duds, etc, et al + BABY BOO-BOO.. Auto-renewal.. shows where the American IQ has dropped to these days. :(

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started watching The Black List since they had the first season up on Netflix. I ended up buying a season pass for season 2 on Amazon. Pretty cool show so far, although I've predicted virtually every twist and turn in the series up to this point well in advance of each 'big reveal' (most of it was predicted within the first episode or two and I'm still waiting for at least 1 'big one' to officially be revealed in the show that I've already figured out since the very beginning).

I've also been watching The Flash (Arrow spinoff) in addition to Arrow. Marvel's Agents of Shield is still awesome, particularly last season when all the events tied directly into The Winter Soldier (and excellent film).

As for cartoons, I've gotten into Teen Titans Go (not as good as the original TT, but it is hilarious), The Legend of Korra, Avengers Assemble and Regular Show.

In the movie department I've seen quite a lot lately but the standouts have been Godzilla (2014) which was far more true to a legitimate (though superior in the effects dept, obviously) Toho kaiju Godzilla film than any American giant monster film I've seen to date (yes, including both Cloverfield and Pacific Rim :P). I look forward to its (many please!!!) sequels, especially since they plan to have more monster fights and have now secured the rights from Toho for other great monsters like King Ghidorah and Mothra. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (as mentioned earlier) was awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed X-Men: Days of Futures Past, not especially for it sort of being a sequel to X-Men: First Class (that aspect was just kinda 'meh' to me) but more because of the reset to the continuity (totally allowed because it's a time travel movie AND it's based on a comic book and as everyone knows, timeline shattering events that reset and forever change entire universes happen all the time in comics, so get over it people who are now pissed that most of the previous X-films 'don't count' any more :P) and because they FINALLY promised (after the credits) what I've been waiting to see on film since the very first X-Men film was teased: En Sabah Nur, the single most awesomest villain to ever exist in the Marvel Universe (and probably superior to most of those from DC as well), though perhaps I'm biased since he is one of my absolute favorite comic book characters of all time. I finally saw The Big Lebowski and I found that my initial suspicions (and the reason I never watched it until recently, even after hearing sooo many rave reviews from friends/TV/the internet etc.) were accurate and that it just wasn't that awesome of a film. It had some funny moments and a few clever ones as well, and I don't regret watching it by any means, but it just wasn't all that spectacular or mindblowing and I could easily get by for the rest of my days without feeling an overwhelming urge to watch it again (I'm not repulsed by it or anything, but it's just easy to think of 10 or more other films that would interest me more if offered to watch them again). I also saw a little British film called The World's End which was spectacular, especially if you're a fan of films like Shawn of the Dead (which I AM) and Hot Fuzz (which I also recently saw and also loved). And most recently I watched a film called Killing Them Softly, a modern 'gangster' type crime drama, very gritty in nature and not too dissimilar from the style of Out of the Furnace which I watched a while back and quite enjoyed (I hope to find more films along this same vein as I find these films' style to be quite intriguing, intense and fun).

On the Anime front I've avoided anything with tentacles in it (for those who know, that joke is quite funny and for those who don't know, trust me, you don't want to know :P) and watched the entire series (both seasons) of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (yes, including the controversial "2nd Gig", which I actually did enjoy, though yeah, not quite as much as season 1) as well as the first 2 episodes (all that's available so far) of the prequel series Ghost in the Shell: Arise as well as the recent sequel film Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society. I'm still in search of the original sequel film to Ghost in the Shell from a legal/legitimate (i.e. no torrents etc. as I do not agree with IP theft for obvious reasons) source (and no, I will NOT user iTunes even if they are the only ones who have it currently; I'll wait for Vudu or Amazon or pretty much anyone else to get it :P).

Then of course there's the usual on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays: NFL football!!! Wow, have there ever been some surprising nail-biters this season...and some blowouts as well. It's been full of ups and downs so far and every day I'm praying that John Gruden agrees to come back to the Raiders (Chucky, come home!!!). Last night's game between the Pats and the Jets was far closer than anyone expected (though I had my suspicions given that the entire league is FINALLY aware of a fact that I've known for several years now: that Tom Brady is completely vulnerable and falls apart once you get him under pressure from a good defensive blitz because his entire game hinges upon timing and he does NOT adapt to disruptions to his rhythm well at all which is why the Pats have started to play much more 'hurry up' offense to avoid the rush/sacks/INTs/fumbles/incompletions/Brady crying himself to sleep at night :P). I've also been watching the games that I missed each week via NFL Rewind, an awesome subscription service offered by the NFL that finally gets it right (virtually unlimited, HD access to ALL games from the previous week, not only in full broadcast form (with NO commercials at all), but also with a 'condensed' mode that skips all the 'down time' between plays and rushes through the entire game in 30min~1hour (they've done similar things with NFL-Network-selected games on NFL Network for years on a show they call 'NFL Replay').

Now I'm just eagerly awaiting new episodes of the shows I mentioned above as well as Elementary, which will be launching into its next season very shortly (love that show, though last season did border on jumping the ol' shark with some of that 'sooper sekrit spie' stuff, so I hope they get back to 'business as usual' solving ordinary extra-ordinary 'police-type' crimes soon and ditch brother dearest soon, though I guess it can be tough when you let Moriarty out of the bag in the very first season which is a tough corner to paint yourselves out of as far as trying to come up with anything more epic goes).

So to anyone still reading this: enjoy my horrible run-on sentences and nonsensical banter about the film, television, sports and animation that I've been watching lately and I apologize if reading it has done any permanent damage to your pre-frontal cortex but you should've known better than to dive into such a massive wall of text without first coating your brain in liquid adamantium :P.

Edited by exile360
and I got 6 ":P" in there too!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...