Microsoft offers free a Windows XP data transfer tool to ease the hassle of upgrading to a newer version of Windows

ShyWriter

Excerpt from

KREBSONSECURITY..

Brian Krebs | 4-08-2014

Microsoft offers free a Windows XP data transfer tool to ease the hassle of upgrading to a newer version of Windows. I would submit that if your PC runs XP and came with XP installed, that it might be time to upgrade the computer hardware itself in addition to the software. In any case, beyond this month is not the greatest idea, and it’s time for XP users to consider other options. Don’t forget that there are many flavors of Linux that will run quite happily on older hardware. If you’ve been considering the switch for a while, take a few distributions for a spin using one of dozens of flavors of Linux available via Live CD.

/Steve

additionally ...

head on over to : www.distrowatch.com

for reviews/downloads of older and newer releases of 'nix flavors .

i have a couple of older machines that are running "mint 9" ok .

i would recommend that new users stick with a "long term support" release of an OS (ie : mint 13) if possible .

(the mint series comes with a choice of desktop gui ... including MATE ... it looks and works like a real desktop)

And they rightly should.  XP is, for all intents and purposes, a 12 year old OS.  When Windows XP came out, for example, Fedora Core Linux did not exist.  Fedora Core currently is on Version 20.

Anyone that uses XP but does not need Windows specific programs should be looking into *nix, at the very least - Even hardware from 2007 can run most flavors of *nix put out today.

If XP had created LUAs by default, there would have been a lot less problems in terms of vulnerabilities in XP versus Vista+, but trying to get any of these so-called hardcore XP users to understand and use LUAs (lusers, in case anyone remembers them) is an even bigger PITA.  Just look at how many "How to disable UAC" posts there were on the Internet 2007+....

• Root Admin

Such a lousy tool though really.  Give it a spin our even try their User State Migration Tool it too is dismal in my opinion.  Better than nothing but come on Microsoft is the largest software vendor in the WORLD and that's the best tool they can come up with?