My Hosts File Is Not Working

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ron,

When you look at the list of Host files in my attachment @ #49 I managed to put a website (partly erased for privacy)  under 'Trusted Hosts' but I still get a 'This Page Can't Be Displayed' page. Am I gong to a wrong file?

Anne

• Root Admin

I don't see the site name but you can't add it to a Trusted Site and expect it to work if it's in the "hosts" file.  The hosts file will not allow it to be visited period.

Click on START - type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click and choose "Run as administrator" then type the following exactly in the DOS console pressing the Enter key at the end of each line.

CD \CD C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etcATTRIB -R -A -S -H HOSTSNOTEPAD HOSTS

Using Notepad do a search for the name of the site you want to visit.  If it's found then highlight the entire line and delete that line.

Then click on File, Save.   Then try to access the site and it should work now as long as it was the "hosts" file that was blocking it.

I followed your instructions and deleted the website from both the Trusted and Bad Hosts lists. Unfortunately, I still can not access the website in question.

I think it's rather strange that my laptop has Hosts and I can get to the website in question, but I am having trouble with this one website on my desktop.  

• Root Admin

Start a DOS prompt and see if you can ping the site.  It actually won't reply but it should give you the IP address.  Please post back what you get.

PING match.com

PING www.match.com

Then type this one

TRACERT match.com

TRACERT www.match.com

Post back your results please.

Okay. Here is the results. I recall the IP starting with 127 as the common IP address shown in the open Hosts file.

PING match.com 

PING www.match.com

TRACERT match.com

TRACERT www.match.com

• Root Admin

There is your issue.  You still have www.match.com in your hosts file that needs to be removed.  You probably removed just match.com and not www.match.com

The search your hosts file for anything with the word match in it and decide if you want to remove it or not.

So basically do as you did before to edit the hosts file and remove www.match.com and save the file and then it should allow you to access the site.

Try going to the command prompt again (CMD.EXE) and when the window opens type this:

ipconfig /flushdns

There is a space right after ipconfig, once you do that close out your browser (Internet Explore, Firefox, Chrome or whatever one you are using) and then try www.match.com once again.

Also try the instructions from Ron again HERE and post the results once again so we can verify the entries were removed.

See where it says

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

That 127.0.0.1 is your machine - it means something on your computer, typically a host file, is redirecting all attempts to visit www.match.com to your computer.

I know that MysteryFCM used to have a host file editor and installer that allowed you to edit the host file easily, but in this case you'll need to find the offending item yourself.  Typically, though not always, that hosts file is alphabetized - so when you scroll down to match.com you won't see www.match.com because www.match,.com is in the Ws section.

Best best - using notepad (or even better, notepad++, as it handles large files a lot better) search for match.com and remove all entries.

If search does not find any match.com entries in your hosts file, then you have to look somewhere else - perhaps a firewall or antispyware software.

I don't personally use a hosts file myself, but if you want to just upload the file here I (or Ron, or Firefox, or anyone else here) can search it for you and make sure it does not exist in your hosts file.

I just spoke to a tech at match and got a potential address (us.match.com) that didn't pan out. They offered to go remote to help me but they are an unknown quantity to me and frankly I don't know if I can trust their remote help.

See attachments

post-147861-0-61166000-1397854001_thumb.

post-147861-0-62487700-1397854009_thumb.