Issues with the new UI

When I install Malwarebytes Pro on my customers PC's in Windows 7  - I change the Notification option to " show Icon and Notifications". This is so the user can see that it is activated because the program icon is always visible in the notification area at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Unfortunately the upgrade to V2.0 changes that option back to " only show notifications". Can you change the upgrade to leave the notification as it was prior to the upgrade ?

When I install Malwarebytes Pro on my customers PC's in Windows 7  - I change the Notification option to " show Icon and Notifications". This is so the user can see that it is activated because the program icon is always visible in the notification area at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Unfortunately the upgrade to V2.0 changes that option back to " only show notifications". Can you change the upgrade to leave the notification as it was prior to the upgrade ?

Unfortunately that's actually controlled by Windows Explorer, and on Windows 7 it always defaults to 'only show notifications' for all newly installed programs :(. I wish we could change it because I agree that by default, your antivirus and antimalware icons should always be visible to let you know at a glance at any time that they are running and if there are any issues. Unfortunately there's no way that I know of for us to automatically override Windows 7's settings, so users will have to change it manually whenever they install the new version.

My HP Mini netbook runs at a screen resolution of 1024 x 600. The logs viewer window's top-to-bottom dimension is larger than that, so the Export,Copy to Clipboard, and OK buttons are not accessible.

I seem to recall that one of the dialog windows during installation was that way, too, so big that the controls weren't accesible, but I was able to work them blind. I can't be sure about that now, though.

Also, there is some verbiage in the upper center panel of the Scanning History Log window that is garbled, unreadable on my screen.

Below is a picture showing both these issues. Until these are fixed, I'm downgrading to ver. 1.75.

MBAM_logs_window.png

rednoise,

Not sure this will work with the scan log in MBAM, but when I encountered this with another app using the Tab key would move to the lower section of the window and show the buttons located there.

Hope it works for you with MBAM,

Skilz853

RFF: Restore "silent scans" as an OPTION instead of mandatory, please.

If I understand the recent change in 2.0.1 correctly, ALL scheduled scans under 2.0 Premium now occur "silently", without popping up the scanner window?

And, if nothing is detected, there is no scan log window, either?

I understand the "set it and forget it" practicality for basic users, as well as the preference even by some advanced users for this.

I understand as well that many AVs use this design of "running/scanning silently in the background".

However, I would prefer for MBAM that these both be restored as OPTIONS, as in 1.xx, if possible.

I would like to be able to make my daily Quick/Threat scan NOT be silent and would like to be able to retain the ability to produce a scan log window, even if the scan is clean. It's a bit of visual reassurance of the security status of the system to which I have grown accustomed.

If I misunderstand this new functionality, please correct me. ;)

Thanks!

daledoc1

While I am not new to Malwarebytes I am new to this forum and the Premium version 2.

Might I be so bold as to suggest that a start up screen appear at boot that would be optional. This is an option in my AV/Firewall program and I leave it on. It gives me assurance that it's up and running without doubt as I don't use theWin7 task bar or start Menu.

I am aware that some people hate start up notices in software and for the most part so do I. When possible I turn them off with the exception of security software that starts automatically at boot. This may address the issues stated in post #28 by Full Screen Ahead

While I favor the bland GUI of version 1.x and that it does not confuse people that suffer color blindness as has been pointed out by several in other forums. With the set and forget options of the Premium version I won't see it very often.

Perhaps it's the settings on my system but I wanted to point out that I really can't tell what's going on in the scan screen shown here

:

post-160174-0-01278800-1396797860_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add a few items to the new UI issues that John started on.  For users who use low vision access tools such as HIGH CONTRAST #1 themes on Windows platform the old release would inherit the low vision inverted image.  Easy to check out, just go to personalize and select the HIGH Definition #1 theme (takes 10 seconds).  On the previous malwarebytes release the app would accept / inherit the black background and yellow text.  This makes it easy for low vision users to see.  But the new UI does not accommodate low vision High Contrast #1 properties. 

Developers please compare how readable the prevous UI was especially with the Microsoft High Contrast theme, then upate to the new UI and one can see how difficult it is to read.  Even my wife who is not sight impaired noticed the difference in being able to read, configure and change settings from the previous UI to the NEW UI.

This bright white background with small light gray fonts absolutely do not accommodate users who may have weak vision. 

I am hoping that other users may have suggestions or the developers are possibly working on this.

I do understand that for GUI some applications will allow changes to the background and ability to increase font size especially when they are GUI apps that do not inherit the Microsoft HIGH Contrast themes.   Several alternatives to strengthen the access to make this GUI a bit more friendly to those who depend on accessibility tools (large fonts, dark background and bolder fonts). 

Malwarebytes developers you have a good malware cleaning tool, but the UI is very poor.

John thank you for starting this UI topic to discuss the UI.

Thank you,

Jaime Guerra

I created an account just to voice my displeasure with the UI.

1)

The entire UI is what I like to call too 'bubbley.' There's a couple things I mean by this. First off, the UI looks as if it where created for a phone or tablet. The buttons and UI elements are all very large and have a lot of extra space around them. The old UI was very much compact and clean looking. Additionally, on the 'bubbley' effect, the colors are bad. When I see a lot of colors in a security program it sets off all sorts of alarms. On top of that, the styling is also very distracting. Everything has shadows and highlights and lights up as you mouse over it, all of this stuff is uneeded and detracts from the product producing an unclean UI.

2)

The Malwarebytes self advertising is quite annoying. The old version had a tab 'other tools' that wasn't "in your face." I feel like with the new UI the program is nagging me to try out other programs (which also sets off self security alarms).

3)

I feel like everything is hidden in sub menus. The old UI had the important stuff right at the top of the screen in one of the tabs. The new UI hides everything under three tabs,

4)

Can we get a developer response on the reason for the change (in which I hope they don't replay 'to make it more user friendly, which it is not). Honestly, I feel like nobody in the computing world can live by 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it.'

I would like to add a few items to the new UI issues that John started on.  For users who use low vision access tools such as HIGH CONTRAST #1 themes on Windows platform the old release would inherit the low vision inverted image.  Easy to check out, just go to personalize and select the HIGH Definition #1 theme (takes 10 seconds).  On the previous malwarebytes release the app would accept / inherit the black background and yellow text.  This makes it easy for low vision users to see.  But the new UI does not accommodate low vision High Contrast #1 properties. 

Developers please compare how readable the prevous UI was especially with the Microsoft High Contrast theme, then upate to the new UI and one can see how difficult it is to read.  Even my wife who is not sight impaired noticed the difference in being able to read, configure and change settings from the previous UI to the NEW UI.

This bright white background with small light gray fonts absolutely do not accommodate users who may have weak vision. 

I am hoping that other users may have suggestions or the developers are possibly working on this.

I do understand that for GUI some applications will allow changes to the background and ability to increase font size especially when they are GUI apps that do not inherit the Microsoft HIGH Contrast themes.   Several alternatives to strengthen the access to make this GUI a bit more friendly to those who depend on accessibility tools (large fonts, dark background and bolder fonts). 

Malwarebytes developers you have a good malware cleaning tool, but the UI is very poor.

John thank you for starting this UI topic to discuss the UI.

Thank you,

Jaime Guerra

Jaime,

Glad you found the topic and voiced your opinion.  The topic has been covered before in other threads, particularly during hte Beta testing period, and staff members have already assured that this issue is a serious matter that they are working on.

I created an account just to voice my displeasure with the UI.

1)

The entire UI is what I like to call too 'bubbley.' There's a couple things I mean by this. First off, the UI looks as if it where created for a phone or tablet. The buttons and UI elements are all very large and have a lot of extra space around them. The old UI was very much compact and clean looking. Additionally, on the 'bubbley' effect, the colors are bad. When I see a lot of colors in a security program it sets off all sorts of alarms. On top of that, the styling is also very distracting. Everything has shadows and highlights and lights up as you mouse over it, all of this stuff is uneeded and detracts from the product producing an unclean UI.

2)

The Malwarebytes self advertising is quite annoying. The old version had a tab 'other tools' that wasn't "in your face." I feel like with the new UI the program is nagging me to try out other programs (which also sets off self security alarms).

3)

I feel like everything is hidden in sub menus. The old UI had the important stuff right at the top of the screen in one of the tabs. The new UI hides everything under three tabs,

4)

Can we get a developer response on the reason for the change (in which I hope they don't replay 'to make it more user friendly, which it is not). Honestly, I feel like nobody in the computing world can live by 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it.'

I'm not a developer, so no response - but I do have a question:  Can you explain #3 in more detail?

1)

Take three prominent tabs with the old version "Quarintine, Logs, Ignore List."

These three tabs are ones that people may often frequent or may want to have access to right away. With the new version you have to go:

History -> Quarintine

History -> Logs

Settings -> Exclusions

You have to navigate through the program to get to an area that I feel should be prominently and directly in front of you.

2)

With the old version there was a "Protection" tab which allowed you to toggle the passive protection or modifiy its settings. Now instead of just going to "Protection" to edit the passive protection you have to go:

Settings -> Detection and Protection

and/or

Settings -> Advanced Settings

Most other antimalware (or virus) software have a button to toggle the passive protection on / off right in the front. I don't see why Malwarebytes should hide it away in the settings.

OK i just got the update today, and WOW can you say junk!

the ONLY thing that is wrong and its a HUGE one is my malwarebytes window iw literally twice as wide as my screen and i am unable to resize it !

(attached)

I uninstalled and re-installed, still the same issue. ALL other program windows work just fine ONLY after I updated!

Major FAIL, I am hoping this can be resolved

Please advise

post-56658-0-15451000-1397693703_thumb.p

Carm We can probably help you resolve your issue, simply start a new topic HERE so your topic does not get confused with all the others posting in this topic and post the required logs as mentioned below...

Please try the following and let us know if that corrects it or not.
MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you

1)

Take three prominent tabs with the old version "Quarintine, Logs, Ignore List."

These three tabs are ones that people may often frequent or may want to have access to right away. With the new version you have to go:

History -> Quarintine

History -> Logs

Settings -> Exclusions

You have to navigate through the program to get to an area that I feel should be prominently and directly in front of you.

If you click on History this immediately takes you to the Quarantine area, so it's not 2 clicks, just 1. Conceptually, both logs and quarantine are similar as they both define what the application has done in the past (i.e. its 'history') which is why we grouped them this way.

As for exclusions, they are settings so it makes sense to have them there rather than a separate tab as they were in 1.x. In fact, the main reason they had their own tab in 1.x was simply because the exclusion feature was added later on and rather than try to fit it into the existing Settings tab, which itself had very limited space, we gave it its own tab. Now we also have 2 classifications of exclusions: Malware Exclusions (for Malware Protection and scanning) and Web Exclusions (for Malicious Website Protection) and since we needed to keep these separate from one another, it made sense to group them both under the main Settings tab. Other than version 1.x of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I don't believe I've ever seen any other antimalware application which had its exclusions settings under any area besides 'settings'.

2)

With the old version there was a "Protection" tab which allowed you to toggle the passive protection or modifiy its settings. Now instead of just going to "Protection" to edit the passive protection you have to go:

Settings -> Detection and Protection

and/or

Settings -> Advanced Settings

Most other antimalware (or virus) software have a button to toggle the passive protection on / off right in the front. I don't see why Malwarebytes should hide it away in the settings.

I've actually not come across many (if any) antimalware/antispyware applications which had a button to disable protection on the main page of the UI, although I have seen most show an alert and provide an option to enable protection if it was disabled on the main tab of the UI, which is also what we've done with the Dashboard in 2.0.

John Gait, I took your suggestion and went reading through the beta forums.  I was hoping that somewhere the development team would have responded with more solutions for the UI issues.  I have the new version installed in some of my clients systems.  I am embarrassed having to ask around for someone to actually read me the configuration settings panes on the latest release.  My clients have been helpful and some have found out that they probably have early issues of discerning the subtle differences in the contrast between white background and light gray text of the new GUI. 

I posted on another 2.0.1 forum, where I found developers in the mix, but seems they have not managed to respond my post or figure it is too hard to improve the GUI readability aspect of the mban 2.0 app.  I personally miss the manb 1.75 since it accepted the Microsoft inverted images.  I will focus my UI opinions to this forum since it is focused on UI issues.  John if you hear back from developers on this UI readability issues on another forum let me know.  I am muddling through reading old posts from the beta testing time frame.  If you hear about a new beta test on a UI improvement I will be monitoring this forum.  I would like to participate to give the developers a perspective from a low vision user community.  Thanks again for steering me to the beta forums, they are rich in discussion but still seems the UI ease of readability has taken a back seat to make it pretty vs easy to read.

Anyways, wish you a good day.

Jaime A. Guerra

2)

I strongly agree with the above. If I'm using a "Free" program I expect to see the developers ads. Once I purchase a license I don't want ads for the developers other products. Please provide a way to turn them off at the very last.

Actually, the issue for readability for screen readers and for visually-impaired people was a hot topic for a while as soon as the new UI was released.  The staff members here have committed to developing a method that will be compliant to both scenarios, so rest assured your voice and requests are not being ignored.

It's just taking a bit more time.  You have to realize (and perhaps you do not know this as the announcement may have been in a private section of the forum) but MBAM 2.0 was first announce over 9 months ago by Marcin, and yet beta testing did not begin til near the end of December, IIRC.  A lot of development time went in to making the overhauled 2.0 UI as well as the application itself, and it is not surprising to me that it is taking a bit of time ot re-design the re-designed UI to comply with issues that were never considered during the initial re-design process.

Just my two cents.

The only product I see advertised on the MBAM Premium 2.0 is MBSB.

Personally I have no problems with a company advertising their other products in a prominent place on the GUI as long as it isn't in the middle which this one is not.  Having said that I would prefer to see something like "For other Malwarebytes Products Click Here"

John, thank you for the status update.  Then through a private communique mban development management acknowledged the readability issues for their new UI.  You have given me a pause and hope that development will try to accommodate low vision users.  John, if you hear more from the private forums or etc, will you keep me in mind.  I can always find time to not just voice my perspective on low vision issues, but can also explain issues on why poor CONTRASTSENSITIVITY is improved by yellow text.  Much the same reason that hunters, late evening drivers may have improved contrast by use of  yellow / amber tint eye glasses.  Also, same reason used the yellow text on their HIGH CONTRAST #1 theme to allow other applications and UI's to inherit the Microsoft high contrast theme.  This theme stopped working on the mban 2.x UI.  Worked will for many years both VISTA, Windows 7 and Windows 8 with older mban 1.75 release.

Anyways, with the information you furnished me I can express hope of mban considering the readability aspects; as you stated a re-design to improve the accessibility the UI for low vision users of mban products.

John, wish you a good weekend.

Jaime Guerra

You're very welcome, Jaime.

In fact, the issues related to readability and such with the beta builds are not private, the entire set of posts and such for all issues related to Beta builds and the RC build can be found here:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=139

The forum itself is locked, so no new threads, and I'd advise not replying to any threads either, as this is all there now just for informational purposes, but if you give me several minutes I will compile all the readability threads into my next post for you.

John, thank you for the status update.  Then through a private communique mban development management acknowledged the readability issues for their new UI.  You have given me a pause and hope that development will try to accommodate low vision users.  John, if you hear more from the private forums or etc, will you keep me in mind.  I can always find time to not just voice my perspective on low vision issues, but can also explain issues on why poor CONTRASTSENSITIVITY is improved by yellow text.  Much the same reason that hunters, late evening drivers may have improved contrast by use of  yellow / amber tint eye glasses.  Also, same reason used the yellow text on their HIGH CONTRAST #1 theme to allow other applications and UI's to inherit the Microsoft high contrast theme.  This theme stopped working on the mban 2.x UI.  Worked will for many years both VISTA, Windows 7 and Windows 8 with older mban 1.75 release.

Anyways, with the information you furnished me I can express hope of mban considering the readability aspects; as you stated a re-design to improve the accessibility the UI for low vision users of mban products.

John, wish you a good weekend.

Jaime Guerra

I concur.  Yellow is the most noticable color.  Many firetrucks are painted yellow.   Bright yellow cars also more noticeable than other colored cars though red is close.

I've actually not come across many (if any) antimalware/antispyware applications which had a button to disable protection on the main page of the UI, although I have seen most show an alert and provide an option to enable protection if it was disabled on the main tab of the UI, which is also what we've done with the Dashboard in 2.0.

Both Norton and McAfee (both of which I don't use anymore) had / still has an option to disable real-time protection on the front page of the UI (Norton still does, I don't know if McAfee still does or not, I haven't seen / used it in a long time).

I agree with SCR4514.  I have a full (paid) subscription to all my computers and don't want to have my eyes constantly drawn to the ever-changing bottom lines scrolling.  At best, could you have a 'show/hide' button (or link) so we can turn the distraction off?

What I do to stop that from happening is grab the title bar and drag the window down far enough to hide the advertising.

Mortimer