Can't update scanner

I have had Malwarebytes (free version) installed on my computer for quite some time with no problem. Recently when I connected to the server, was asked if I wanted to update. Answered yes and received the message, "Run-time error '6' Stack overflow. If I respond no the question I can get the main menu and run a quick scan. Just can't update! Uninstalled and downloaded new copy with same results. I was using version 1.75.0.1300 and version downloaded appears to be the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome, LJS:

I know you said you tried to reinstall already.

Unless you used the clean reinstall method with the removal tool, perhaps it might have gotten messed up a bit.

I would suggest that you might try the method here: MBAM Clean Removal Process.

(Be sure to reboot after running the mbam-clean utility, when it asks to do so.)

Also, 1.75 is the current, stable, public, consumer release. :)

(A new version, 2.00, will be released soon, but is not yet available through the version 1.75 auto-updater.)

When you reinstall version 1.75, you will be prompted to updated the DATABASE (not the PROGRAM) during the install wizard  - that is normal. :)

(That's because the database version packaged with the installer is not the current database.)

Please let us know if this resolves your issue,

daledoc1

I followed the instructions you provided, including turning off the Real-time scanning and Firewall in the McAfee Security Center, with no success. Performed the action twice with the same result--Connecting to Server, Downloading: V2014.03.22.08, followed by the error '6' and overflow message. As I mentioned previously, I had been running this version for sometime, including updating the database, with no problem until I attempted to update the database several days ago. At that time the message was, "the database was out of date by 7 days (approximately), would I like to update."

Hi:

Thanks for the update.

Sorry it didn't work.

I am just a home user and forum volunteer.

I have seen a rare post or two about that particular error.

But it will take the staff and experts to help to sort it out.

Please run the following scanners and ATTACH their logs to your next reply.

They will provide a starting point.

Thanks,

daledoc1

-------------------------------------------

STEP 1
Please run the DDS scanner and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

>>>If you are running Windows 8.1, please skip this step.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include both of the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

STEP 2
Please run mbam-check and send back the log as an attachment to your next reply.

• Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post; instead please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt log file which should now be located on your desktop.

STEP 3
Please run the FRST tool and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. The one that runs will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your next reply.

1PW,

I downloaded mbam-rules.exe (w/o virus scanner disabled), ran it and got the same error message. However, I did notice after connecting to server it said my database was outdated by 13 days. Previously it said it was outdated by approx. 361 days.

In the mean time, now that you are only 13 days behind run a quick scan to see if anything gets detected and let us know...

Also some of McAfee products can conflict with Malwarebytes. By any chance have you tried to exclude Malwarebytes from your Antivirus Program?

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe
For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

I ran a quick scan and found PUP.OPTIONAL.SAFEINSTALL.A. It was apparently created about the time I ran FRST. I removed it and it didn't make any difference when I tried to update the scanner. I am running McAfee Sec Cen. ver 12.8 and Virus Scan ver 16.8. I have not tried to exclude Malwarebytes from my antivirus program, and when I do try it won't let me. It says, "can't exclude them because they are a critical file." Also I am not using the Windows firewall--it says it is controlled by the McAfee program.

• Root Admin

There appears to be some type of software conflict going on with your computer.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========.3/23/2014 7:13:18 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7011]  - A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the SftService service.3/23/2014 7:12:08 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7000]  - The McAfee Inc. mfeapfk service failed to start due to the following error:  The specified service does not exist.3/22/2014 7:57:04 AM, Error: Schannel [36888]  - The following fatal alert was generated: 40. The internal error state is 107.3/22/2014 7:57:04 AM, Error: Schannel [36874]  - An SSL 3.0 connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The SSL connection request has failed.3/18/2014 9:06:09 AM, Error: Service Control Manager [7034]  - The SoftThinks Agent Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)..==== End Of File ===========================

You may or may not be infected but best to check on that further.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks