IP-BLOCK 209.85.147.105

ottchris

209.85.147.105 being blocked this morning. Apps involved are Rainlender and Chrome.

Reverse Lookup gives:

209.85.147.105 PTR record: bru01m01-in-f105.1e100.net. [TTL 86400s] [A=209.85.147.105]

Whois 1e100.net gives:

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Enterprise Brand Protection.

Domain Management

MarkMonitor Brand Protection™

AntiFraud Solutions

Corporate Consulting Services

Visit MarkMonitor at www.markmonitor.com

Contact us at 1 800 745 9229

In Europe, at +44 (0) 20 7840 1300

Registrant:

DNS Admin

Google Inc.

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway

Mountain View CA 94043

US

*********@google.com +1.6502530000 Fax: +1.6506188571

Domain Name: 1e100.net

End partial quote.

Any info as to why this is being blocked?

Regards,

Chris

This isn't an F/P I'm afraid. This IP is housing a plethora of Blackhole exploit sites.

With respect, the above is less than helpful. I was in the middle of replying to my own post when your response appeared. Here is that reply:

Begin Quote.

The blocking events are still occurring and I should emphasize that they are not the direct result of any action on my part. Firefox has entered the scene with one event. According to firewall log one record matching a Malwarebytes blocking event is "

18:10:13 RAINLENDAR2.EXE OUT TCP 209.85.147.104 443 *Allow Outbound TCP to HTTPS for RAINLENDAR2.EXE 939 4305" Note the IP address is 209.85.147.104 whereas the Malwarebytes log reports the block as 209.85.147.105.

Google appears to be the common factor between the three applications involved; Chrome for obvious reasons, Rainlender2 acesses Google Calender and Firefox has Google Earth and Google Update Plugins installed.

One final piece of info and that is I use OpenDNS for name resolution.

End Quote.

When did Malwarebytes start blocking that IP address? Rainlender2 runs on my system every day and the blocking only started this morning (as an aside and as it happens a scheduled full Malwarebytes scan took place last night and was clean).

Chris

The problem here, is that it's not just a single domain, it's multiple domains. The block has been in effect since this morning as trying to reach Google, is less than easy (e-mail bounces and/or is ignored (depending on the address it is sent to), phone numbers just tell you to e-mail them etc).

Once the malicious content is removed, the block will be removed. In the meantime, I'm still trying to reach Google.

The problem here, is that it's not just a single domain, it's multiple domains. The block has been in effect since this morning as trying to reach Google, is less than easy (e-mail bounces and/or is ignored (depending on the address it is sent to), phone numbers just tell you to e-mail them etc).

Once the malicious content is removed, the block will be removed. In the meantime, I'm still trying to reach Google.

Understood and fair enough. It's doesn't appear critical for me at the moment but that may not be the case for others.

Many thanks,

Chris

Whilst it is a Google IP, none of Googles services themselves, are known to use it.

/edit

It looks like Googles admins are playing silly buggers now as the google domains are now bouncing round various IPs on 209.85.147.0/24. I'll get this unblocked.