Malwarebytes stops when scanning Registry and Autostart objects

doxic

Hey,

I've got an issue with malwarebytes on my PC:

When i click on Full scan and choose my Harddisk C: (without any partitions) and/or another drive the scan starts immediately to scan the windows folder just like a quick scan and always stops after ~1000 scanned objects (sometimes 800 or 900) without any viruses or malware found. I tried many scans, without any success.

Then I tried to scan another drive only and NOT C:, but the program just starts to scan C:\Windows agian and doesn't even start to scan any files of my chosen drive. So I started to configure the scanning settings and after some time I found out that disabling the autostart and registry scanning works and Malwarebytes scans what it's supposed to do.

I assume theres a file thats corrupt, locked or infected and makes malwarebytes to skip it and stop, but I'm not sure because Malwarebytes works fine on my Laptop without any configuration.

Does anyone know how to solve this? I deinstalled Avira Antivir Free previously, because I thought this would solve my problem, because Avira blocks some files (autostart.ini, etc.)... well it does not.

Thanks in advance,

doxic

Hi, doxic, and welcome to MBAM: :)

Sorry you are having MBAM scans freeze/hang.

A couple of things to check:

1) First, be sure you have set the reciprocal permissions and exclusions between your AV (in this case, Avira) and MBAM. If you're not sure how to do this, I'll provide some detailed instructions below.

2) There's an excellent tutorial in the FAQ- Section L that might provide resolution: MBAM Freezes or Crashing During Scans . It includes checking your HDD for bad sectors/corruption, as you mentioned in your post.

If neither of these resolves your issue (and assuming you're not infected), then we'll need to wait for an MBAM staffer or other pro to weigh in with some additional guidance.

Please post back and let us know how it goes.

NOTE: If you think you might be infected, please let us know, as the advice in that situation will be a bit different. :)

ALSO: You mentioned that you uninstalled your AV -- I hope that was just temporary! Please note that MBAM is NOT an anti-virus (AV) and is NOT a substitute for an AV. It is designed to provide layered protection alongside a standard, robust AV. If you are currently running without an AV, I would strongly suggest that you reinstall Avira (or any of the large number of excellent free or paid AVs).

Thanks!

daledoc1

------------------------------------------------------------

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Realtime Protection
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

• Click on Apply
  • Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  2. Click on Realtime Protection
  3. Click on Configuration on the upper right
  4. Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  5. Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  6. Click on Exceptions
  7. Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  8. In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  9. Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  10. Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

• Click on Apply
  • Close Avira's window

Set Exclusions for Avira in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Avira and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Hey daledoc,

thank you very much for this detailed answer. To answer your question: I just deinstalled it for the purpose of scanning without any problems and reinstalled it right after it didnt work out :/.

I just gave both, Avira and Malwarebytes the permissions for each other, although I didn't do this on my laptop, where everything works and either Avira and Mbam are installed.

This time mbam scanned 1500 objects, but then again told me the scan was a success and no viruses were found on my system likeit did the last times.

I'm now going to check if my HDD has some corrupted sectors, otherwise i'll reinstall Windows 7, and/or format it, because i really got the impression somethings wrong on my PC, I think that someone hacked our network or i've got a keylogger onboard *g*. Well it's not that funny though..

As soon as I found out something new I will post it, just hope this thread helps someone else with a similar problem.

Ok,

I tried everything mentioned in your other thread, using check disk didn't work out either.

But I know what type of data it causes: An autostart file and no registry entry (phew ;)) like I thought before.

When I enable scan autostart objects mbam just scans the ~1500 objects, stops and tells me there's no virus on my PC.

So right now I really don't know what to do anymore, check the msconfig once?