computer freezes momentarily, mouse still works, then resumes

loopylulu

Hello I will be brief but detailed. I returned from the cottage after a week and my computer right away upon booting into windows 7 started freezing anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. It has been that way for the last few weeks now. I rarely have to reboot by pressing the power button as the freezing eventually goes away. It is random. I am running a compaq athlon 64 3.1 2 gigs of ram, 512 radeon GPU and 1.5 terabyte harddrive running windows 7 and a 200 gigabyte harddrive running xp. From what people have been saying in other forums it sounds possibly like a hard drive failure and they are telling me to back everything up immediately, I do not have another drive. I was dual booting last year but xp stopped working so I switched to the 1.5 terabyte harddrive.

I do not get BSOD.

When I am on certain websites such as youtube and it freezes it says shcokwave plugin crashed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did not help, I tried disabling the two shockwave plugins but that did not help.

If I am downloading freeware or something else like a podcast I notice the speeds slow down to a crawl.

I tried running event viewer but it says MMC could not create the snap in. I used to be able to run it as I was having other problems earlier this year.

I ran a registry cleaner without any effect. The mouse works everytime the computer freezes.

My cpu and motherboard seem to be running below 50 degrees celsius.

I try to run hijack this which I am not too familiar with but it first says there is a problem with the host file then it says there are abnormally high hijacked domains and when it tries to create a log file after it scans it says it cannot find the log file.

My windows firewall was off so I turned it on to see if it had any effect but it did not seem to. When I try to open advanced features of the firewall it says again MMC could not create the snap in.

Someone suggested a problem with the usb root hubs and told me to uncheck the option to turn it off to save power and for a while it seemed like it was working but eventually it came back.

Any thoughts as I really hope it is not a harddrive failure, I am sick of upgrading and buying new power supplies etc.....

thanks so much for any help at all.

cheers,

This information maybe helpful to you. I was reading this earlier today and it seems similar to what you are going through.

I suggest you try the simpler approach first: run the utility What's my computer doing? [free; site], which I'll abbreviate to WMCD.

WMCD continually monitors — and displays on demand — programs currently running on your system. If you select its Also show system processes option (shown in Figure 1), WMCD also monitors the low-level, background processes and threads (think of them as task-specific subprograms) active at any given moment.

W20120823-LL-WMCDMain.jpg

Figure 1. Select WMCD's Also show system processes option to monitor most active programs and subprograms on your system.

You can leave WMCD open on your desktop or (my preference) leave it running in the background. (The main WMCD window is not resizable.) When your PC acts strangely, click the WMCD icon in the notification area to reopen its main display and see what's going on.

(Amusingly, the WMCD notification-area icon, shown in Figure 2, is a red-tinted video lens, like the all-seeing eyes of the HAL 9000 computer in the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey.")

W20120823-LL-WMCD-Icon.jpg

Figure 2. Click WMCD's notification icon when you want to see what your computer is doing.

With the main WMCD window open, click any of the listed programs or processes to see additional information: what it is, who published it, and so on. (See Figure 3.)

W20120823-LL-WMCD-Details.jpg

Figure 3. Here, I've clicked IAStorIcon.exe to see what WMCD can tell me about this app.

Use WMCD to look for patterns when hangs occur. If some particular piece of software is always active when the hangs occur, it's the likely culprit.

If WMCD doesn't help, Windows' built-in Performance Monitor is the heavy-duty, almost-certain way to track down what's going on. As explained in the June 13 Top Story, "Exploring Windows' Administrative Tools: Part 2," you can use Performance Monitor as a live, real-time diagnostic tool or have it create a running log of system activity that you can review after the fact. Either way, you'll be able to see whether some particular piece of software (or subsystem, or driver, etc.) is always active when the slowdown occurs.

Once you've found a common thread among all your various slowdowns, you should be able to take the appropriate action needed to resolve the problem. For example, if the slowdowns always occur when a specific program goes active, it's most likely the culprit. You can update, replace, or uninstall that program and see whether the slowdowns go away.

Performance Monitor is extremely thorough. It can show you virtually every detail of what's going on with your system. But wading through all that information can be daunting.

"I try to run hijack this which I am not too familiar with but it first says there is a problem with the host file then it says there are abnormally high hijacked domains and when it tries to create a log file after it scans it says it cannot find the log file."

hmmm ...

it is better to err on the side of caution .

i would suggest that you start a topic in the malware removal section .

start here : http://forums.malwar...?showtopic=9573

if you still have problems after being given the "all clear" , post back over here .

ps ...

"From what people have been saying in other forums it sounds possibly like a hard drive failure and they are telling me to back everything up immediately ..."

what does the S.M.A.R.T. HDD data program say about the health of your hard drive ?

you can get a smart data reader program here : www.nirsoft.net/utils/disksmartview.zip

the wiki site for information : http://en.wikipedia....wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

the website : http://www.nirsoft.n...smart_view.html