Filesystem Protection issue with Firefox 24

Had problems after updating to version 24.0 of Firefox. I am using MBAM pro version 1.70.0.1100 with WIndows XP SP3.

I was able to install Firefox, however on attempt to restart Firefox, Firefox would not open and then the PC locked up becoming nonresponsive to keyboard and mouse, requiring a PC hard reboot. On reboot all works fine until I try to open Firefox. Then the problems repeat.

After significant testing, discovered that these problems do not occur when Filesystem Protection is turned off for MBAM.

I am hoping if I upgrade to a newer version of MBAM these odd problems will go away.

Question, since I have a purchased MBAM Pro version, can I uninstall version 1.70.0.1100 and install MBAM ew version 1.75.0.1300 and use the same id and key information? Or should I install the new version on top of the old version to keep my purchase authorized?

Thank you in advance

Sueska

• Root Admin

Hello Sueska and :welcome:

It sounds like there may be some type of conflict or possibly an infection.  I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply Ron. I followed your advice and for the better part of the day with the help of a friend knowledgable in malware removal ran numerous tests,full system scans,including 2 different antivirus bootable cds. The good news is it seems my system is clean.

A little more testing showed the problem goes away under the following conditions. When Flash is uninstalled, when reverting to a lower version of FireFox ( ie version 23) and when File Protection is disabled for MBAM. Upgrading to the newest version of MBAM did not solve the problem. Upgrading to Firefox beta 25 also did not solve the problem. Until things get stable, planning to temporarily disable MBAM file protection.

It is ok to close this topic if you want, meant more as an fyi at this point, in case others may experience similar problems.

Regards and Thanks,

Sueska

• Root Admin

Well it's up to you but I'm sure there is something more going on here and I find it difficult to believe that it's either us or Firefox otherwise we'd have thousands of similar reports.  In fact I use Firefox myself and I'm not having an issue.

If you are willing to let us help you I'd like to have you at least run these 2 scanners and post back the logs.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Then temporarily disable your antivirus and run this one.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.