Why "Trial" Version when I downloaded "Free" version 1.62.0.1300?

I downloaded the latest Malwarebytes "Free" version and it is showing me "Trial" in the Malwarebytes Window title...and showing now "12 Day(s) Remaining". This is revision "1.62.0.2.1300". Here is what I did:

1. I went to the "Malwarebytes.org" website-->

2. Clicked on the "Free Download-From our trusted Partner Sites" box-->

3. Got to the following webpage:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

4. Clicked on the green "Download Now" Box.

5. Downloaded the following binary file as a "Save" to my hard drive: mbam-setup-1.62.0.1300.exe

6. Clicked on the above file...

7. I am now showing "TRIAL" in the Malwarebytes Window "Title" when I open Malwarebytes with the "tabs" to do a "Scan" or to do an "Update". It does have "Protection" Module operational and there is a "Malwarebytes" ICON in the "Tray".

I did NOT ask for the "Pro" version. I only wanted the "FREE" version.

--I also tried installing from the following earlier version: mbam-setup-1.51.2.1300.exe. When this was installed, this file also updated to the "1.62.0.1300" "Trial" version automatically without me doing anything.

--On another computer which has been running Malwarebytes continuously for the last year or more, the Malwaebytres was automatically updated to the 1.62.0.1300 revision. However, on that other computer, Malwarebytes Window does NOT show a "TRIAL" in the title and there isno "Malwarebytes" Icon in the tray, and there is NO "Protection" Module activated.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?

WHAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER 12 MORE DAYS?

WILL I LOSE MY MALWAREBYTES AND NEVER BE ABLE TO INSTALL THE "FREE VERSION?

Many thanks.

Hello, SW1:

It's OK. :)

With this latest version update, the 14-day trial of MBAM PRO is enabled by default during installation.

During installation, there's an opportunity to decline the trial (opt-out) by unchecking the box.

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=570829

If you didn't do that and the PRO trial was activated, it only means that, when the 14-day trial expires, MBAM PRO will revert back to MBAM Free version functionality.

IOW, it will become only an on-demand scanner, and you will lose the real-time protection, scheduled scans/updates, incremental updates and other enhancements that MBAM PRO provides.

When you are running MBAM Free, there will be no MBAM icon in the system tray, no real-time "protection module", as these are only available in PRO (either purchased/licensed or during the trial).

You can always cleanly uninstall MBAM (whether PRO or Free) & reinstall it. If you wish to run ONLY MBAM Free at this time, then just follow the instructions below, but be sure to UN-check (opt-out from) the PRO trial when you reinstall. You might also want to keep these instructions handy for future reference -- NOTE: these steps are written only folks who do NOT want to run MBAM PRO.

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE.
  • It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so - this is very important!
  • After the computer restarts, download the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE, then temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and run the installer. (Ignore all 'Recommended' or 'Sponsored' software which are prominently displayed on the mirror sites -- they are ads and MBAM does not have any association with them.)
  • -->If you do NOT want the PRO trial, be sure to opt-out when given that option during the installation.
  • Launch the MBAM program.
  • Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again.
  • Now set up any file exclusions, as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs HERE, or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

HTH,

daledoc1

PS One other thing: If you ever do purchase a license for MBAM PRO, please be aware that it can only be used on one computer at a time. So, if you have more than 1 computer, each one needs a separate, paid license. There is a discount for purchasing more than 1 at a time, and each license is good for a "lifetime". So, if you ever need to transfer the license to a new or different computer, that can be done. :)

Hello Spam Hunters,

Thanks for the info. Based on your comments, I will just wait out the remaining 12 days and let the "Trial" version expire and the "Free" version take over...as you suggested. The "Protection Module" and "Scheduler" (already worked once) ARE nice features. I just don't have the funds to upgrade.

Your comment: "During installation, there's an opportunity to decline the trial (opt-out) by unchecking the box."

I did not see the "Checked Box" during my install of the file indicated above.

Therefore, If possible, can you post a "Screen Shot" of the specific "Install" screen which shows that "Checked Box" during the installation screens when the "Free" Version file is "executed? Having this "Screen Shot" might be helpful to me if I have to do this again (I am old and will probably forget :) )...and the "Screen Shot" might be helpful to others who do not see that automatically "Checked Box".

It is a nice marketing tool to have it "Checked" in advance. However, MWB staff should just make it "Unchecked" but LARGE TEXT with info about "Pro" version and caveats about "No Committment", etc.. It is a "soft sell" approach, but might be better. Then the customer would be more willing to "Try" the "Pro" version and probably "Buy It" eventually.

Thanks for your quick help.

Hi, SW1:

Yes, the opt-out is a new feature with this current version release.

I was not aware of it, either, until another member pointed it out.

(Along these same lines, it's a good idea to always carefully read ALL the dialog boxes presented when installing ANY software. Many unnecessary toolbars, scanners, adware and other junk come bundled with programs (especially with Adobe plug-ins, etc) these days. This is not the case with MBAM -- which is just an opt-out for the PRO version -- but one needs to be careful not to inadvertently install unwanted, bundled junk. So, always read each screen carefully before clicking "next". ;) )

I think we'll need to wait for one of the MBAM staff or an expert member who installs MBAM on client rigs to post that screenshot.

I agree that it would be helpful.

Since I'm just a home user myself, I'd need to go through a clean uninstall/reinstall on my own computer in order to produce that for you.

As just a home user with NO financial interest in MBAM, I would just say that the lifetime license is an outstanding value and that a few $$ towards the added real-time protection is well worth it.

Preventing a serious computer infection is ultimately more cost-effective than trying to clean one up, especially if one loses one's data in the process.

I certainly understand about finances, though. :)

Cheers!

daledoc1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem I had to reinstall following a factory reset I did not un check the tick when i realised, I uninstalled (using uninstaller) restarted, ran ccleaner then reinstalled on another user this time I UNCHECKED THE TICK about pro but it still says trial. The reason I like the normal free version is that it is a good on demand scanner that does not clash with my security software.

If I have to wait for the trial to end what settings should I change so that;

1, It only runs when i want it to

2,only updates when i want it to

3, and anything else so that it works the same as the old version

Many thanks

Hello, another newbie:

If you did not opt out from the MBAM PRO trial during installation, then the easiest way to get back to the Free version is to follow the steps in this post above:

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=573518

Just be sure to UN-tick the option for the PRO trial when you get to that screen, as shown in this post: http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=573601

Please note, however, that MBAM PRO should not conflict with any of the major anti-virus (AV) products.

In fact, it is specifically designed and tested to run in real-time alongside all of the major AVs, in order to provide layered, complementary protection.

This provides robust infection PREVENTION, which is generally preferable to trying to clean an infection that has already reached one's computer.

In addition to the added real-time protection, the PRO version also offers scheduled updates and scans, incremental database updates and other features.

It's certainly your choice if you prefer the on-demand, Free version only. :)

But we would be happy to assist you in setting the permissions and exclusions between MBAM and your AV, to optimize performance.

HTH,

daledoc1

Fantastic that worked!

what was happening before was that I followed the uninstall process from here http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/entries/20863082-how-to-uninstall and even after restarting and running quick clean every time It either:

a, did not even have the box to tick .or

b,if it did (installing on another user) it still installed the trial version anyway.

Thanks again and thanks for the offer of help but I'll stick with the free version (the simpler the better!)

Great! :)

Glad it's all working OK as the Free version now.

If you ever change your mind, you can always upgrade to PRO. :)

The license is good for a lifetime for one computer, so it's a VERY good deal, especially for the added layer of protection.

I am just a home user myself, but I wouldn't consider running a computer without MBAM PRO.

Best regards,

daledoc1

• 4 months later...

The opt-out feature doesn't work. I have unchecked it and a few days later, I notice it changed to PRO>

Please do the following and let us know if this corrects the issue for you or not. (make sure to opt out of the Trial Version in the last step)

post-17127-0-24875500-1342789951.jpg

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
      You can also look up your ID and Key from the Registry and copy and paste it to a Notepad document before running the mbam-clean utility.
      Location for Windows x86

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Location for Windows x64

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding: that the lifetime license is an outstanding value

Questions: What if I have to get have Windows reinstalled onto my computer, which I just had to do.

Is there a way to reuse my same license, recorded or written down code #?

Or do I would I have had purchased $9.95 CD ahead of time, as a back up, [just in case] in order to reinstall the software?

Otherwise, if you have to reinstall Windows, do you have to re-pay the $24.95 all over again? Am I not correct?

Otherwise if you get a new computer? You must to start all over again? Yes?

• 2 years later...

Hello, SW1:

It's OK. smile.png

With this latest version update, the 14-day trial of MBAM PRO is enabled by default during installation.

During installation, there's an opportunity to decline the trial (opt-out) by unchecking the box.

http://forums.malwar...ndpost&p=570829

If you didn't do that and the PRO trial was activated, it only means that, when the 14-day trial expires, MBAM PRO will revert back to MBAM Free version functionality.

IOW, it will become only an on-demand scanner, and you will lose the real-time protection, scheduled scans/updates, incremental updates and other enhancements that MBAM PRO provides.

When you are running MBAM Free, there will be no MBAM icon in the system tray, no real-time "protection module", as these are only available in PRO (either purchased/licensed or during the trial).

You can always cleanly uninstall MBAM (whether PRO or Free) & reinstall it. If you wish to run ONLY MBAM Free at this time, then just follow the instructions below, but be sure to UN-check (opt-out from) the PRO trial when you reinstall. You might also want to keep these instructions handy for future reference -- NOTE: these steps are written only folks who do NOT want to run MBAM PRO.

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE.
  • It will ask to restart your computer; please allow it to do so - this is very important!
  • After the computer restarts, download the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE, then temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and run the installer. (Ignore all 'Recommended' or 'Sponsored' software which are prominently displayed on the mirror sites -- they are ads and MBAM does not have any association with them.)
  • -->If you do NOT want the PRO trial, be sure to opt-out when given that option during the installation.
  • Launch the MBAM program.
  • Then go to the UPDATE tab (if not done during installation) and check for updates.
  • Restart the computer again.
  • Now set up any file exclusions, as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications, and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQs HERE, or ask and we'll explain how to do it.
HTH,

daledoc1

PS One other thing: If you ever do purchase a license for MBAM PRO, please be aware that it can only be used on one computer at a time. So, if you have more than 1 computer, each one needs a separate, paid license. There is a discount for purchasing more than 1 at a time, and each license is good for a "lifetime". So, if you ever need to transfer the license to a new or different computer, that can be done. smile.png

ive looked at several pages about this, and they all come back to your post here. but this does not work for me. i did everything as listed, and there are no options to uncheck anything, it just says malwarebytes is installed, then when i open it it says my license is no longer valid. i even uninstalled MB with revo and it still does the same thing. any way around this?