MB error updating

stfrsl

I am a free using of Malwarebytes and I am having trouble updating the database. When I try to update it gives me the error PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING(0,0,I\O error). I have been having trouble updating other free anti-virus software as well, execpt for Microsoft Security Essentials.

I am also having problems connecting to any internet browser other than internet explorer. The computer has a Norton Internet Security program installed, (which I believe to be to be the problem), that I have tried to uninstall numerous times with no success. The computer is running 32 bit windows xp professional and it used to belong to my grandfather who installed the Norton program.

Any help solving the MB updating problem and/or the internet browser problems would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and :welcome:

Lets try a clean install first....

Please do the following and let us know if this corrects the issue for you or not.

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
      You can also look up your ID and Key from the Registry and copy and paste it to a Notepad document before running the mbam-clean utility.
      Location for Windows x86

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Location for Windows x64

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

I did the clean install and adjusted the settings for MS Security Essentials and did all of the necessary restarts and I still can't update MBAM. Same PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING(0,0, I/O error). I have tried numerous times to uninstall Norton Internet Security which I believe is behind some of the problems I have been having but no luck. This computer has multiple user who may have installed numerous programs that could be problematic as well. I look in the Program files and a good portion of the folders are from programs I don't recognize at all.

• Root Admin

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  1. DDS.txt
  2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

• Root Admin

The computer has a proxy set on it which is not normal and has some signs of an infection.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

It also seems to possibly be running 2 different antivirus programs and you should only be running one.