Fixing the problems

lilpeanut

CW,

I guess I read your post wrong. I thought you were saying that was the one I needed and then gave me other suggestions. :(

Will that one do for now? I am going to order one of the other ones next week but for now, will that one be ok?

David,

Trying to figure out how to post the snapshots now. Hopefully it works.

post-85996-0-62523300-1337709543.jpg

post-85996-0-13598300-1337709576.jpg

post-85996-0-29932000-1337709605.jpg

I wasn't absolutely sure what to open so I might have opened to much. Also, I know the Tereredo Tunneling has a problem and I tried reinstalling but it didn't do anything. Since the computer is working for now I figured I'd leave it alone and just worry about it after I install the new OS.

Hope this works

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most notable that you will most likely need hardware drivers for...

* TigerJet USB Internet phone (There are other TigerJet devices as well)

* Rockfisk PCI soundcard

* VIA Rhine II Ethernet adapter

* nVidia GeForce 6200

Additionally is noted an "imaging device" that is connected such as a scanner, web camera, etc, but that was not expanded. I have a feeling it is a TigerJet related item.

David,

Thanks for that info.

* TigerJet USB Internet phone (There are other TigerJet devices as well)

By that do you mean there is some other TigerJet device on this computer or in general?

Cause there should be no other TigerJet device on this computer. I've had a lot of trouble with this MagicJack on this computer and it is the reason the Teredo Tunneling is messed up. The last time I went to get help from MJ support something happened to Teredo but when I went back to MJ support the person that was helping me all of a sudden wasn't available. I was so mad I just shut it all down.

Anyway, when I install the new OS how would I put that on one drive and use the other for everything else?

When I install the new OS how would I put that on one drive and use the other for everything else?

I don't understand the question.

Knowing that the listed hardware will need hardware drivers, you need the hardware driver installers. They either came with the system or you will have to download them from the vendor's web site. If that is the case then you can put them on a flash drive, external hard disk or burn the driver installer to a CDROM.

Once the OS is actually installed, then you want to install the drivers. By comparing the screenshot you posted and what you see in the Device Manager in a view of the newly setup system will tell you what has been installed or what needs to be installed.

This computer has two hard drives in it. An IBM Deskstar and the Western Digital. The IBM's model # is IC35L040AVER07-0 ATA/IDE. I'd like to get that hooked up and possibly use one or the other, the IBM or the WD, to put the OS on then use the other for more hard drive space.

Yeah, the TigerJet drivers are all part of MJ. They will install themselves when I connect it to the computer after I change the OS.

"Will that one do for now? I am going to order one of the other ones next week but for now, will that one be ok?"

mistakes happen .

i would be leery of putting that supply in any comp .

the quality is questionable at best .

(i would rather rebuild a supply of good quality even considering the labor and time involved)

a crappy over-rated supply will cause problems .

(re-read my reference to that iMicro supply issue that wound up in front of a judge)

the rosewill supplies that i linked are (their/the/a) middle-of-the-road type(s) .

i have used many of those exact types (and a couple more models) .

they have held up well and i am yet to have one bad out-of-the-box .

in other words , i know the quality of the product .

the supplies i linked to at newegg are better than the original supply ratings .

this means that the supply will not be straining to supply what is needed (especially with added on cards and so-forth) .

@ lipeanut :

i just realized that something got lost in the shuffle of this thread ; pictures of the motherboard that the supply crapped out in .

it is important to inspect the motherboard for failed electrolytic caps ... especially since the swmps (psu to some folks) took a dive and the age of the comp .

putting a good supply in a comp with bad caps on the motherboard will accomplish very little ... both problems have to be addressed at the same time .

electrolytic caps ? what do they look like ?

these will be "standing tall" on the mb

they are cylindrical

they vary in height and diameter (figure about H=1/4-3/8" - D=1/4"-3/4")

they have a plastic sleeve on them with a small portion of the aluminum can "showing through" the top side (looking back up at you)

there is lettering on them (denoting uF or mF and voltage)

the the major visual symptoms of a failed electrolytic cap are :

a "puffed up" or domed top (the top usually has an "X" or "Y" pattern stamped in)

some brownish/tanish "crud" that has oozed out the top (usually dry and slightly flaky/fluffy by the time it is noticed)

the bottom of the cap has rubber disk/seal that the leads exit the aluminum can from ... this may be "herniated" .

good well lit pictures of the motherboard would be the best way of "remote diagnosis" .

(photobucket is a good picture host)