Removed MB because of Norton & got 33 malware files

I was told by Norton that Malwarebytes must be removed because it conflicts with Norton anti-virus. So thinking that Norton had it covered (malware), I uninstalled MB. Over the next week my computer ran slower and slower while connected to the internet. After checking for the obvious culprits, I thought that this can't be a coincidence and re-installed MB to see if I had any malware. I got thirty-three hits! I've never had anything close to that many before (maybe 10 at the most), and this had only been about a week. I started wondering if I had accidently downloaded a fake version of MB because it just didn't seem possible, but I hadn't. How could I have gotten that many that fast and how did Norton miss them all?

BTW, I'm running XP on a six year old computer.

Thanks

Hello and welcome, super_sublime: :)

A couple of thoughts, until an MBAM staffer arrives...

MBAM PRO and Norton should generally be just fine together. Some users find it helpful to set mutual exclusions between the programs in order to optimize system performance, especially on older, less robust hardware.  If you need help with that, please tell us exactly what Norton product and what version you are running. We can then guide you through the process.

Without seeing scan logs, it's impossible to say what those "33 hits" were.  They might be PUPs:
PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program
What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?
Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy
PUP.Optional listings and disputes

Or they could be bonafide infections.

However, the experts/staff would need to see some system logs in order to sort this out.
We don't do that sort of diagnostic/cleanup work in this particular sub-section of the forum.

So, if you think you might be infected, I would suggest that you please follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A qualified malware helper will guide you through the scanning and cleanup process.

They can also assist you with getting MBAM running alongside your Norton.

Thanks,

daledoc1

• 2 weeks later...

About 2 months ago, Norton 360 installed on my home XP machine started throwing a "free upgrade" popup to the screen at irregular intervals.  Initialy, I was going to accept the upgrade and after reading all the fine print, I started the process.  I got a warniing popup announcing that "Malwarebytes software detected on your system.  It is incompatible with the upgrade and Norton will uninstall it.  Check "OK" to procede."  I became suspicious and immediately cancelled the installation process.  I sent a pointed email to Symantec asking what was going on and got a response to the effect that "all installation programs may disable existing software during the installation process."  "Uninstalling" is definitely not the same as "disabling" and I have yet to accept the free upgrade . . . or get a more satisfactory answer from Symantec.  I'm beginning to wonder if Symantec is feeling the heat from MWB detecting and removing items that "slip through the cracks."

Hello and Welcome ronmcdwv

That is a common tactic that a lot of antivirus vendors are using these days. If you still want to update your Symantec antivirus software, go ahead and upgrade it and let it do what it wants to do. Once it is done installing and updating, go ahead and download the latest version of Malwarebytes and re-install and configure it to update and such.

Should you have issues with conflicts of any sort come on back and we can help you further.