Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60 released

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Okay, in reviewing now about 4 different threads of topics on this issue here are the observations.

1. With over 50 million downloads {edit - server admin tells me it was over 85 million this year alone} of our program this year and well over 1 million downloads of this update so far the amount of reported issues is very low.
  2. Most cases where an issue is not resolved is because the user has not run the mbam-clean utility as requested and rebooted, then installed the new version of the program.
  3. There was an issue with Avast but Avast has now corrected the issue on their end so update Avast if you're using Avast and still having an issue.
  4. There are a few users with Zone Alarm that are having an issue as well. Currently there is no available fix. If you wish to run ZoneAlarm you will not be able to use our Protection Module until a fix for ZoneAlarm is found. We are currently still investigating it. It seems that Privacy Firewall may also be exhibiting this issue and needs a fix or workaround as well
  5. Some computers are actually infected and the infection has probably prevented the update. In which case you need to seek help in the forum below to seek help with cleaning your computer.

If you're having an issue with the update and you're not running ZoneAlarm or Privacy Firewall then you must run the MBAM-CLEAN utility and reboot your computer. Make sure you tell or allow your Anti-Virus it's okay to run mbam-clean.exe

#1 Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

IF you are not running Zone Alarm or Privacy Firewall and the above clean procedure did not help you then you may well be infected. You can start by posting a set of DDS scan logs and we might be able to determine if you need further assistance in the HJT forum.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....
Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:
Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult
You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the
    directions here
    , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

• After posting your new post, make sure under
    options
    , you select
    Track this topic
    and choose
    Immediate Email Notification

so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE:

Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.
    • If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.

Or

• You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at
support@malwarebytes.org
or
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

PS: Please use the "Add Reply" Add-Reply.png button not the Reply button when you start replying.

I have just installed the 1.60 update. I have been running the previous version for many years and experienced excellent performance and protection.

OS is Windows Vista Business

PC is a HP Compaq 6710b Notebook

Since the install everytime I restart my pc, or start from cold, the pc switches off immediately after the BIOS screen and before Windows loading.

I have started in Safe Mode and disabled the Malwarebytes service and startup program, and the pc boots ok.

I can start the pc with the software enabled, however involves disabling hardware DEP in the BIOS, and attempting power on start at least 4-5 times.

This can be reduced if taking the 'Start Windows Normally' option when the Windows Error Recovery screen appears, otherwise the default 'Windows Repair' option results in immediate shutdown (as before).

I have attempted to set the programs mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe as exceptions in Windows DEP, however receive a message indicating these must be run with DEP enabled.

I would like to continue using Malwarebytes as its exceptional scanning software, however with the multiple restarting its really not useable at present.

As the release is very new I'm sure a fix will be coming soon, however in the meantime I may need to revert back to the previous version.

Is the previous version still available for download?

Regards, Craig

Running well so far on VISTA SP2 w/ MSE & exclusions added, installed via MBAM notification prompt & rebooted & all seems fine :)

I haven't installed it on my system yet... but I will report back when I do! :)

Running like a dream here on Win 7 as well. I had the previous version set to notify me of program updates but not download them automatically, so I went through the routine of uninstalling the previous version, rebooting, running mbam-clean.exe, rebooting and reinstalling at first install of 1.60 and have had no issues at all.

Hello all. First, Happy New Year.

Second, I am here because a computer in my home will not run Malwarebytes. Install seems to work and can update from the install. However, I can't get into the actual program (i.e. I can't see the user interface). I've tried updating windows, but no change...... <_<

The PC in Question runs Windows XP SP3

Side Note: My laptop (which I am writing this post with) has installed and is running Malwarebytes no problem. The laptop is running Vista.

Is anybody else having this issue? :huh:

Much Thanks, JCD

@JoshDunn

Kudos on getting a good XP-SP3 setup. Please tell me if your system is running with the Windows Firewall on, or, IF it has a 3-rd party firewall, in which case tell us the make and version number.

To your last question,

is anybody else having this issue?
Yes there are. There is a definite issue if running Checkpoint Zonealarm free edition, ZA version 10.1.079.00 for sure IF the MBAM Protection module is on. With the Protection module OFF, MBAM will run and will scan on-demand.

My understand is that the ZA conflict is not present on the ZA Pro or suite editions.

There are also issues with 'some' other 3rd-party firewalls, some of which cases can be resolved. For example, putting the firewall into "learning mode" and then doing a clean install of MBAM.

There are also issues with some antivirus apps and or security suites that include antivirus. Note I said some; not all.

Again, not everyone is having issues. Not every XP system is having issues (for example, I am able to both run MBAM on XP-SP3 with the Windows Firewall and do well. But, if I have the ZA free firewall running, the MBAM setup will freeze IF Start Trial is accepted.

This is intended to help and provide insight. I do not claim it is the definitive, end-all and be-all summary.

With that said, my view is that a goodly majority of upgrades have gone thru well.

I am also having problems with 1.60 version on any XP SP3 machine I install it in. Crashes starting up 100% of the time.

In order to get 1.60 to run, I had to uninstall, then run the cleanup program and then reinstall. This happened on 3 different XP machines. Looks like a problem with the 1.60 version uninstall routine for XP machines, as it installed without problem on Win7pro machines.

This bug turns the normally easy update into a pain. Hopefully a fix will be announced soon into the new year!