Malwarebytes Reinstall Help

I recently upgraded to Malwarebytes 2.0 without thinking much about the decision since Malwarebytes (henceforth referred to as MWB) has always served me well, to the point where I even purchased a license for it ages ago. Seeing the publicity including on Facebook for the newest version trumpeted as a great release, I went ahead with the upgrade.

I immediately ran into problems with the self-protection module options. I noticed that it was interfering with several of my applications. Indeed, upon attempting to start said applications, explorer.exe would crash. Furthermore, it would enter a state in which it was unkillable by any means I tried including elevated command prompt taskkill /f command. My computer could not be restarted safely either. I was forced to pull the plug.

I reload Windows. Immediately open up mbam and its new terribly looking GUI, find the self-protection module in the settings, then attempt to uncheck/check the box. mbam freezes indefinitely. The process became similar to the explorer.exe in the paragraph described above. Again, I was forced to pull the plug on the computer.

I reload Windows again. Now MWB is completely gone. It won't start up on Windows boot nor would it start when I attempt to start it via cmd even with elevated privileges. I attempt to start the programs whose previous boots were prevented by MWB. I experience the same error as the first one in addition to MWB not even being present (i.e. its process was not listed in tasklist). Again I am forced to kill the power.

I reload Windows again. Now none of my programs would start. I am only able to open a browser as explorer.exe inevitably fails again and all my CPU's are running at a constant 100% load. I was slowly able to download the mbam-clean removal tool and remove MWB from the system. I was unable to exact my product key during this removal process. I am still unable to restart Windows safely. I kill the power again.

I reload Windows again. MWB is FINALLY removed from the system and my programs are running again! However, I am now no longer under the protection of a program I trusted for so long, the one and only security program I ever spent money on. This is where I am writing this post.

I am wondering if there is a way to reinstall Malwarebytes version 1.75 (the verison right before 2.0) and get my product key back.

Meanwhile, I highly recommend those who have not upgraded to not do so currently.

Hello and :welcome:

There could be multi reasons whey your having issues. The staff is winning to help you get it all resolved, including with running the latest version of Malwarebytes. Simply run the tools requested below and post the logs so they can be reviewed. If you prefer to have version 1.75 installed let me know and I can give you instructions on how to get version 1.75 back on your system, but be advised eventually support for version 1.75 will stop.

Please read the following topic Diagnostic Logs and post back the logs when ready and we'll see if we can determine what's going on.

• Root Admin

Does not matter where you got it from.  If it's the 1.x version and you did not run the mbam-clean removal procedure it will be in the Registry.

Beyond that though you would need to contact whomever you purchased it from as we will not have a record of it either.  It's like buying something at BestBuy and trying to take it back a year later without a receipt, they are not going to be able to assist you, neither will we.

Thank you

Like Ron mentioned if you have not used the mbam-clean tool, you can still get your ID and Key.

Here is where to find it....

For any system which is actively running, you can check the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to find the ID and Key being used for registration on that system.

For 64 bit Windows versions it will be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I mentioned in the OP that I did run the tool to resolve the issues. Sounds like that's it then and I'm not too keen on repurchasing a key after my experiences. It was probably worth the money (probably because I can't remember how much I spent) for the time it worked nonetheless though. Hope you guys can get the product fixed up and best of luck to other users.