BUG REPORT: OpenVPN does not work when "Enable self-protection module" is checked

1. If "Advanced Settings > Enable self-protection module" is checked, OpenVPN does not work at all. I cannot even install it. If I manage to install it in Windows Safe Mode, I can't start it, Windows Explorer just hangs with the blue spinning circle.

This is on Windows 8.1 x64, latest updates.

OpenVPN x64 downloaded from http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

Please address the OpenVPN issue.

2. When trying to enable "Self-protection module", MBAM hangs for a while and the window shows "not responding". On some computers it comes back to life on others I gave up after a few minutes and just rebooted.

It seems that the self-protection module is not ready for prime time which would explain why it is not enabled by default. What is the risk to not have it enabled?

No, clean uninstall and re-install doesn't help. I can simply toggle "Enable self-protection module" and OpenVPN works again. If I enable it, OpenVPN stops working ...

What does that option really give us and why is it not enabled by default if it's supposed to add more protection? Because it's new and problematic?

1. If "Advanced Settings > Enable self-protection module" is checked, OpenVPN does not work at all. I cannot even install it. If I manage to install it in Windows Safe Mode, I can't start it, Windows Explorer just hangs with the blue spinning circle.

This is on Windows 8.1 x64, latest updates.

OpenVPN x64 downloaded from http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

Please address the OpenVPN issue.

2. When trying to enable "Self-protection module", MBAM hangs for a while and the window shows "not responding". On some computers it comes back to life on others I gave up after a few minutes and just rebooted.

It seems that the self-protection module is not ready for prime time which would explain why it is not enabled by default. What is the risk to not have it enabled?

Which OpenVPN?   Service for private tunnel or Server Solution?

Glad to hear. Look forward to the fix.

As for what the option "enable self-protection mode" does, can you please expand? And it seems to be problematic in general as it seems to hang for a while when I try to enable. Is the reason why it's not enabled by default because it's experimental and not ready yet?

It is a custom driver that prevents malware from trying to kill or delete our files.

Any reason why it's not enabled by default? At least it was not for me when I installed MBAM and I had a hard time enabling it. Is it supposed to take a long time to enable and to make MBAM show "Not Responding"? It doesn't inspire confidence in the new MBAM 2.0 when you see that.

• Root Admin

Because many users don't understand and try to remove the shortcut from the desktop or try to rename it and find they can't do it and think they're infected and then they open a ticket. 

We may enable it by default later on but for now until more users get used to it we've left it as an option.