The newest update that just downloaded broke - hard.

I was able to copy malwarebytes over to the hosed laptop using a USB stick. It installed ok, but when I go into quarantine I see 244 files. I select "restore all" it gives me the "Are you sure" prompt and when I say yes nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling it again and reinstalling.. same behavior.

Now what?

It actually did restore those files fine. Now run an update in MBM and then scan again to be sure - and then make a full backup before you reboot.

Its been bugging me to update, so I did. I saw some files pop across. I deleted them from quarentine. MISTAKE... computer will not let me login.

Options?

Hold tight for a minute - I'm sure they're working out something - my guess is that they'll get a utility to run that will restore your quarantine and then you can update MBAM and scan again. But it's only a guess

Fortunately had MBAM installer on thumb drive. Tried to reinstall, had a bunch of errors and rolled itself back. Tried again, it told me I had to restart the computer. Restarted and then ran installer again, install succeeded, and updated, and started. Restored all items in Quarantine but like others here who are lucky enough to be running, several "Restored" but are still in Quarantine. Took a chance, and hit Delete All, cleared Quarantine and all is still working properly.

@computergeek1123 Chameleon will not run you will need to reinstall MBAM if you are lucky enough to be able to get into Windows.

Hmmm - some people are affected worse than that, in that the installer is broken b/c of missing Windows installer files. I wonder if those folks can try to get the latest Windows Installer (don't think they ever made it for Win 7, 3.5 was already installed by default in Win7 IIRC) - but worth a shot.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mbam.exe was quarantined but I was able to reinstall by going to "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\" and running mbam-setup.exe

Restoring the quarantined items fixed a lot of things but on startup I still get some messages about missing DLLs.

You'll probably benefit from an in-place reinstall of Windows.

Good to know on the running setup from ProgramData.

We sincerely apologize for this false positive. An update has already been pushed out to remove the offending definition that caused this.

For those of you still having problems, please contact support via the following links and they will assist you directly in getting your systems functioning properly again:

Home User Support

Business Support

Please be sure to include the following information to expedite the repair process:

• OS installed (i.e. XP, Vista, 7, 8 etc.)
  • Whether you have restarted your computer yet or not
  • Whether or not the system is bootable if you have attempted a restart of your system yet
  • Whether or not you have your Windows installation media (CD, DVD, recovery discs etc.)

We have also taken extensive measures to ensure that a false positive like this never happens again. Once more, I apologize that this occurred and hopefully we will be able to get everyone's systems in proper working order once more without too much trouble.

Fortunately had MBAM installer on thumb drive. Tried to reinstall, had a bunch of errors and rolled itself back. Tried again, it told me I had to restart the computer. Restarted and then ran installer again, install succeeded, and updated, and started. Restored all items in Quarantine but like others here who are lucky enough to be running, several "Restored" but are still in Quarantine. Took a chance, and hit Delete All, cleared Quarantine and all is still working properly.

@computergeek1123 Chameleon will not run you will need to reinstall MBAM if you are lucky enough to be able to get into Windows.

This worked for me. Thank you Coronamaker.

I rebooted based on earlier advice and now I can run firefox and other apps. However, I keep getting an error that progams can't start because COMCTL32.dll is missing. Guess I'm stuck like everyone else.

As Exile said in the second post - System Restore can restore the missing files. I just sent a link that I think will be helpful, and it might get posted - but at any rate, use the links to contact support directly and they'll help you out individually.

My system restore points were erased during this clusterf*#k. Won't do any good.

Contact support - they'll probably have you do an in-place reinstall that is non-destructive - meaning you don't lose data, nor accounts. Some settings get reset (like sound, visual stuff) but other than that it will fix it up.

My last system restore point is 5 days ago, and if I ran that I'd lose another project I just downloaded and registered yesterdya. Is there a way to restore just a file or two instead of the whole shebang? I did email support but this is really setting me back not being able to use my laptop-- have work to do. As the other poster said this is not leaving a good taste about Malwarebytes' quality control, although I appreciate all that you (non-employees) are doing to try to help.

What if I can't boot into windows and just get a black screen with a mouse?

andertrack723,

Do you mind if I split your topic and create a new topic for you so I can provide individual assistance?

Thank you.