Scan starts, then shows "Not responing"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I believe I figured out why this keeps happening. When you install the Epson software it likes to create 2 startup entries for the same task, one assigned to monitor the LPT1 port (old style Parallel Printer Port) in case the printer is connected there, and one to monitor USB. Having it run 2 at once is what's killing MBAM and causing it to freeze/crash. What we need to do now is simply disable the correct entry while leaving the other intact that still allows you to print, thus enabling your printer to function and MBAM to scan at the same time. Thankfully, Autoruns will make this very easy since it lets us disable a startup entry without deleting it.

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• \\VIDEO\EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now, please try a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and if it does not freeze, try using your printer to verify that it still works. If the printer will not print and/or Malwarebytes' still locks up then proceed with the following:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are Checked:

• \\VIDEO\EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe

[*]Click the checkbox on the left side of each of the following so that they are unchecked:

• EPSON Stylus Photo R300 Series EPSON Status Monitor 3 (Verified) Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\e_s4i2f1.exe

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now, please try another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' then try using your printer to verify that it still works.

Please let me know how it works out and which, if either, solution solved the freezing issue and still allowed you to print.

I have no idea. You told me to uncheck both of them in AutoRuns, so I did. Actually the one that connects me to the router on the main computer in the house is the one that starts with "video", because the computer that the router is hooked to, I have named "Video", because that is the computer that I do wedding videography on. So now when I go to, control/printers & faxes folder, there are 2 listings, "Epson Stylus Photo R300 Series on Video, and another one "Epson Stylus Photo R300 Series ready. The "on Video" is set at default, with the hand underneath.

So what did unchecking them do?

I just noticed that I in fact didn't do exactly as you told me. When you asked me to do autoruns/logon tab, you asked me to check file video epson, and uncheck the other one. In fact what I did was uncheck both of them. I just ran AutoRuns again and confirmed that I unchecked both of them. Should I leave it that way? Is that just saying that neither one starts at start-up? I will try checking the first one and leaving the second one unchecked, but I have to get ready for a doctors appt:, will be back in about an hour.

Just ran a quick scan again this morning, with NO complications or freezing.

Yes, unchecking an entry disables it from running at startup. I would recommend checking one of the entries, but only one, and then rebooting to see if Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can complete a scan with one of them enabled. If it cannot, then make sure both are unchecked, reboot and make sure Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is again functioning properly and that you can still use your printer properly.

Please let me know how it works out.

I checked the first entry for the video epson, and left the other one un-checked as you suggested, rebooted, and did a quick scan, which ran 9 minutes all the way through with no problems, then tried printing with the printer, and printed. So all seems to be okay? Is AutoRuns a good program to leave on the desktop in case I want to disable something in the future? And I noticed Quicktime is enabled on startup. Is there any reason to leave that enabled. Just tyring to thing of some of these things that may make the computer startup quicker.

That's great news, I'm glad that everything is working properly now :)

As for Autoruns, you may keep it if you wish, but be very cautious in its use as it is an incredibly powerful tool. If you aren't certain that something is safe to disable then don't do it as it could potentially make programs stop functioning or even prevent your computer from being able to boot up. As for QuickTime, you can safely disable its startup item, but I believe its startup behavior can also be accessed via the Control Panel, just click the Other Options link in the main Control Panel window and then you should see the QuickTime Options icon.

If you wish to have assistance with removing items that are unnecessary for startup in order to improve performance I can assist you in doing so, but for the sake of keeping things tidy on the forum, since the original issue in this thread is now resolved, please create a new topic here and I will guide you on what can be safely disabled on your system using Autoruns in order to improve boot times as well as system performance :).

Thank you again for your patience and for sticking it out to get this issue resolved :)

No,..... thank you for helping solve this issue. Should I down load another program that deals with cookies etc, because I notice that MWB doesn't address the cookies put on the system by being on the internet, or would you not worry about it? And I will create that other thread so you can see what will speed up the logon and performance. Thanks again, it has been a pleasure working with someone with such a proffessional drive for helping others.

The thread I started in the other area, that you directed me to is listed as "Startup and Performance Tweeking"

Generally I don't worry too much about cookies, however if you wish to delete them, along with any other temp files that tend to accumulate over time you can use a tool such as CCleaner or ATF Cleaner. I'll go into further details about those tools in your other topic :).

I appreciate the compliment, and I'm just glad we were finally able to get this resolved, thanks to you and the others who were willing to stick it out while we did diagnostics to determine the cause we now know what to look for when others have this issue :).