Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, I have been running this combination of Microsoft Security Essentials, Comodo Firewall plus and an installation of Malwarebytes free which I use for regular manual scans without any problems for years now.

Today, during the update process as well as during the clean install which I did as a second attempt, Comodo Firewall with Defense Plus did not post any partially limited or fully limited unrecognized files or processes. This is what Comodo Firewall would display in case there were any issues, therefore I really think that these latest update problems do not lie in the area of some compatibiliy problems with one or another firewall or a specific antivirus application. I did not look for reports about update issues on windows vista or windows 7 systems -- maybe this latest update does not work with XP3...?

The previous version 1.51.2.1300 was working flawlessly and since I kept that setup exe, I might install it again until a new working update becomes available. Thank you for all your work in finding a solution and good luck.

I decided to give it one more try and to follow the advice to download and run mbam-clean.exe, restart and then do a clean install of a newly downloaded installation exe. and now my new installation is working!

So thank you for these suggestions and I'm glad my setup is working.

BUT for the casual, non techie Malwarebytes user, who only is familiar with the automatic updates and won't go to some tech forums, this must be a major headache!

I'm wondering what glitch and what left over files this mbam-clean.exe is taking care of?

@Pema,

Thank you for that last update. I was on the verge of asking you to run DDS report for review.

FYI, I've been running MBAM PRO & MSE on one of my XP systems for several years now without issues, although just using Windows native firewall. Without issues.

Just for curiousity's sake, how much RAM in your XP system?

Good to hear your system is doing well.

Another XP user here with problems after the last update.

I have 3GB of RAM, SP3 installed

Antivirus: Avira personal v.12

Windows Firewall

MBAM crashes to the desktop when trying to open.

post-3702-0-24783700-1325161369.jpg

post-3702-0-54178700-1325161404.jpg

I have done as advised for other users (uninstalled, run the removal tool, rebooted, reinstalled) and having the same issue.

For now, I will be uninstalling it again and watching the forum for a fix.

An update on my previous post.

I did try the drill again, but this time, when attempting to run the mbam cleanup tool, there were so many error boxes popping up, I couldn't click out of them fast enough to actually run the program.

I am going to try all of this again in safe mode and will report back.

Update 3: Success, sort of.

I booted into safe mode with networking, brought up task manager to make sure no Avira related files were running, ran the Cleanup tool, rebooted back into safe mode with networking, checked in task manager again, downloaded the new version and it installed and updated without issue.

Rebooted into normal mode, opened the program and initiated a scan. It almost immediately froze.

post-3702-0-47943200-1325164417.jpg

I disabled Avira and tried again. This time, the scan went smoothly.

From what happened to me anyway, this would seem to indicate a conflict between this new version and Avira 12. Simply disabling Avira in normal mode to run the cleanup tool and reinstall isn't enough. And, again for me anyway, MBAM won't scan without hanging with Avira enabled.

This is clearly an issue in Win XP (or at least in 32-bit versions). I am running Win 7 64 too, and everything is ok there.

So, where the heck can we find the previous version MB support folks????

I tried the clean uninstall and did not solve anything. I am running Avast and an old version of ZA (5.5)

Found it here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/zwy7uWY6/mbam-setup-15111800.html

Checked it with Avast and then with Virus Total

File name:

mbam-setup-1.51.1.1800.exe

Submission date:

2011-12-29 13:43:27 (UTC)

Current status:

finished

Result:

0/ 43 (0.0%)

MD5 : 9a14a477431a901a7014ed312e0c6c3c

SHA1 : ac2ff4d6a4b0d9b75531683539aa938cad70b09f

SHA256: 4ce2f92e22ea0e4fd1ac171042619f3ff91e782bd1f743f6d7f268adfd585d95

I've read all the posts and will be trying some of them out to see if I can find a solution that works for me. I can get my system going but the minute I turn the protection module on and try to scan or update, system locks up and I have to do a hard reset.

My guess is it's Zone Alarm and frankly I'm not surprised. I will uninstall it and try one of the listed alternatives. That program is a headache anyhow.

I will report back to see if changing Zone Alarm fixes the issue.

Any chances of the developers working on a firewall? :P I'd happily pay for a Malwarebytes endorsed firewall!

My pc is going to update to version 1800 when I reboot. Is there any way to stop this happening now? I have saved all the vers 1300 files to another directory. I suppose that I will have to uninstall MBytes and reinstall vers 1.51.2.1330 but can I just bring the old files back over instead?

thanks Mark

While Zone Alarm is definitely causing problems, it doesn't seem to be isolated to that program. I see those who do not have ZA and/or never used it weighing in with similar problems (like me).

On my computer, this new version simply will not update or scan with Avira v12, antivirus only, freeware version, enabled. While I am not completely comfortable having to disable my antivirus to update and scan, I can live with that, however I am a little nervous about being connected to the internet during a scan. The Windows firewall doesn't seem to be causing any issues, so that nervousness may be unfounded, but still, I never had these issues with previous versions of MBAM and it and Avira peacefully co-existed.

My pc is going to update to version 1800 when I reboot. Is there any way to stop this happening now? I have saved all the vers 1300 files to another directory. I suppose that I will have to uninstall MBytes and reinstall vers 1.51.2.1330 but can I just bring the old files back over instead?

thanks Mark

@markgc

Is there a good reason why you hesitate about reboot? I'd encourage you to a) save your open work documents (if any open)

b) close your open programs that you started

c) allow MBAM to complete the install or upgrade and go forward with the reboot.

While Zone Alarm is definitely causing problems, it doesn't seem to be isolated to that program. I see those who do not have ZA and/or never used it weighing in with similar problems (like me).

On my computer, this new version simply will not update or scan with Avira v12, antivirus only, freeware version, enabled. While I am not completely comfortable having to disable my antivirus to update and scan, I can live with that, however I am a little nervous about being connected to the internet during a scan. The Windows firewall doesn't seem to be causing any issues, so that nervousness may be unfounded, but still, I never had these issues with previous versions of MBAM and it and Avira peacefully co-existed.

@Larkbea,

A few observations:

I'm running MBAM Pro (latest vers) with Avira Free without issue. The only difference is I am using only the Windows native firewall.

imho, as long as you have a router between the incoming internet connection and your pc, the Windows firewall will do fine.

If you have not upgraded to the current MBAM, turn off your ZA, turn on Windows firewall, do the upgrade and be sure to reboot/restart at finish of upgrade process. On a new start, run MBAM Update one time to insure database is current.

Then, turn off Windows firewall, turn on ZA and restart one more time fresh.

again, imho, if you are running Win7 and a router, your os & apps all up to date, you can do without a 3rd-party firewall by using the native Win firewall

I agree with LarkBea, while Zone Alarm is a difficult program, it is not the only firewall having issues with the latest MB version. As well as Avast is not the only AV having issues. And again 1.6 is working fine in Windows 7 64-bit

ZA (v 5.5) is the best compromise I have found for Windows XP (and believe me I have tried a huge number of other ones) and I won't consider starting testing again on a system that was working as I wanted. So I am staying with the previous version.

If it stops working one day, and no solution has been found for this issue, then that will be my sad adios to MalwareBytes.

I don't want to update the MBytes prog because it wont work with my PC. I have 3 pc's in my office all running the same sort of configurations and I have already had lockup issues with my Dell machine and have had to disable MBytes using SafeMode on that pc to get it to boot again. I anticipate similar problems with this machine (my HP Laptop) Right now Mbytes (vers 1300) is working well but it won't be after the reboot update to Vers 1800. A perfectly working program (MBytes) will be a non working prog after the reboot

Mark

@ Maurice Naggar

while you might be right about the windows firewall not having the issue your advice is a workaround and not the solution. Let's not discuss which firewall is better because this is not the forum for that.

MB was working before with my firewall and now it is not. Do you confirm that ZA is the culprit and there is absolutely nothing else you guys can do to solve this but to tell us drop ZA?

Be sincere and do not treat us as retarded!

If it stops working one day, and no solution has been found for this issue, then that will be my sad adios to MalwareBytes.

I am with you on that one. I intend to keep my ZA firewall come what may. I have dumped several AV programs which had become incompatible with ZA either by accident or deliberately (in one case). I hope that Malwarebytes doesn't go the same way.

Mark

Maurice, thanks. I am running XP behind the Windows and hardware firewall in my router. I haven't used Zone Alarm since 2204, before I even got this computer.

Again, my configuration is:

Windows XP, SP3, 3GB RAM

Avira 12 personal

Windows XP firewall

In my previous posts, I outlined the hoops I had to jump through to even get MBAM to update and install. Based on that, I have to believe it's also a problem between Avira 12 and this version of MBAM.

We do have a Windows 7-64 bit computer running Avira 10, Windows firewall and we encountered no problems whatsoever updating and running this new version of MBAM. :unsure:

@Larkbea

Well, with 3GB on the XP box that rules out the low-RAM possibility.

Q: Anyone else of our experts / helpers already helping you?

If not, please specify if you have already done the mbam-clean process, redownloaded fresh MBAM, done the install AND restarted sys after the install.

If all else has failed, and only for Larkbea !

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/dds here or http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr or

http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/dds

Disable any script blocker if your antivirus/antimalware has it.

Then double click dds.scr to run the tool.

DDS will run in a command prompt window and will take 3 to 4 minutes or so.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop.

Edited
Download Security Check by screen317 and save it to your Desktop: here or here
  • Run Security Check
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the command window.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; close Notepad. We will need this log, too, so remember where you've saved it!

Attach the following logs in your next reply:

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

Checkup.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar
added security check

Thanks for all the diligence and hard work to resolve the problem quickly. MBAM Pro is up and running with no conflicts on my computer. The first instruction set in post #67 by AdvancedSetup worked great with my set up.

Please take the following as constructive feedback. My intent is not to be critical. AdvancedSetup said (highlighting is mine)

Most cases where an issue is not resolved is because the user has not run the mbam-clean utility as requested and rebooted, then installed the new version of the program.

The information window which prompted me to install the updated version did not include that information. I always carefully read any pop up or instructional window before proceeding. If I had seen such instructions, I would have followed them or gone straight to www.malwarebytes.org for the download information. I believe that it is possible that others had the same problem.

As my machine is an XP 32-bit machine, I add the following observations for those who have the same OS and are reading every post in this thread.

• A few weeks ago I began encountering problems which turned out to be related to to combination of Zone Alarm and some of the programs and web sites I use for research. Complete removal of Zone Alarm and activating Windows Firewall resolved the issues. As stated elsewhere in this thread, that may help you for now with the updated version of MBAM.
  • The disabling of Avast during the fix referenced above is probably of vital importance. I disabled Avast according to the instructions. I did not turn Avast protections on again until after the new installation of MBAM Pro was registered and updated. All scans performed immediately afterwards came up clean.

I hope this information proves to be helpful.

respectfully,

learning

Maurice, I have managed to install and update MBAM by running the removal tool in safe mode with networking, rebooting, then downloading and installing the new version in safe mode with networking (after making sure both times that all Avira related files were not running in task manager).

When I rebooted into regular mode, the program opened without issue, however it did hang almost immediately when trying to scan and I had to end it via task manager.

I then disabled Avira in the systray and MBAM ran/scanned without issue.

I am pretty positive my computer is malware free (I was trained at the old Tom Coyote forum in malware removal and head up a subforum for malware removal at my forum so I stay pretty up to date on these things), but if you feel after reading this, that I should run/attach the logfiles from DDS, I will certainly do that, but I really really feel this is a software conflict and not a malware issue.