Disgusted by Download sites for Malwarebytes

FranM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. Not much has changed. The only problem I've encountered with 3rd to last party DL providers, is that they try to con the visitor in to downloading or misdirecting the visitor with [DOWNLOAD NOW] links all over the page that have noting to do with the file the visitor is wanting. Some end up installing fakeware that promises to find problems, and do, but to remove or correct the issues, costs more money. It's snake-oil sales pitches at its lowest.

I try to avoiud any purchase of software that takes me to a site whose page looks like an explosion in an advertising agency, and the first "DOWNLOAD NOW link isn't for the software I want to buy, it's for some sleezy fix-all-be-0all-end-all-empty wallet all fakeware.

I lowered my self-respect and security by downloading Mbytes off cNet. Then I was getting subscription notices, update notices, and more junk from cNet and cohorts. I fixed it by simply using another email maddress and losing the one cNet conived. Now, I never go to cNet, advise my clients not to use it or any thrird party download gin-site.

It's like this - if the people I'm buying software from need to use someone else to store their downloads, they can't be good. period.

I found this out too when I paid for my Mbytes, and was charged another $10.00 over and above the exchange rate. Mbytes said it ws their vendor (money collector), and the money collector said it was Mbytes policy. Would I buy it again = not on Mbytes life.

Do I use it, of course - I paid for it, and paid more than most people have. They don't understand that it is the same as going to the store with $50.00 nin your wallet, paying $20.,00 for a new shirt, take the shirt home and find that there is only $20./00 left in the wallet. Calliong the store and tghey say, "Oh yeah - that was the processors fault - talk to them, and the processors says it was the store. N E V E R A G A I N.

But that's not why I was reading this, it's to do with downloads. I don't get it - why does one have to download a program so they can download a program! How can one install Mbytes on a computer that cannot be connected to the Internet and, get the updates without connecting. Easy, use anopther computer, but gettting updates isn't as easy. There should be a separate means, and easy, well publicized way to get them - without opening a bare computer to all kinds of -stuff- to protect it from, all kinds of -stuff-.

Back in the days before Googlenet, there was the Internet, and for the greatest part, all of it was honest - none of this shyster-like "Download Me" in your face fakeware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to send users to cnet for safe downloads, till I found that they were taking the ad links as malwarebytes download links and getting all sorts of junk installed in place of malwarebytes (and other products). I have definitely seen a bogus registry cleaner download from a link with a big malwarebytes text right beside it, as if they were actually trying to mislead the user.

• 2 months later...

these posts are right on.

i was tempted to start a new thread with these same complaints, but after a modicum of reflection, knew it didn't need a new thread.

i quit using cnet for all the aforementioned reasons.

and shame on you mbam for being the leader in malware detection and removal, yet compromising it all by using a dinosaur like cnet.

why doesn't mbam route out and fire all the irresponsible employees that contributed to this blunder. definitely be a plus, while simultaneously streamlining the company.

As much as the offer is appreciated, a few gigs is literally a drop in the bucket for us. At our daily peak we push out between three and four gigs a second on top of what is pushed from the existing mirrors. Even outside of the pure bandwidth requirements we have a high standard for mirrors- they need to be very stable and typically have multiple servers setup for resiliency.

why not use google ? anyone thought of that ?