Mbam error expanding variables (0,9)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings :)

Please open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and if possible, click the Update tab and select Check for Updates to see if updating corrects the issue. If not, then please do the following to see if it corrects it:

• Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Root Admin

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

If you browse to the folder location: C:\WINNT\System32\drivers

Can you locate these files?

C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I am having the Same issue

Windows 7 x64

but i do have mbam.sys in C:\windows\system32\drivers but no mbamswissarmy.sys on my pc that would be the third Error message i get as i get the other mentioned above

k now after this last install (used Mbam clean then went into safe mode and deactived all Anti-Viruses/adware and firewalls) i got mbamswissarmy.sys to show up in the directory C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\

but when i try to start it up and update it i get only 2 of the Errors MBAM_ERROR_EXPANDING_VARIABLES (0, 9) & MBAM_ERROR_MISSING_FILE (3,0, mbamswissarmy.sys) and in that order i get both of these in safe mode with Everything off and in Normal mode and tried both Run as Admin also. i have included the DDS and Attach txt

DDS.txt Attach.txt

k now after this last install (used Mbam clean then went into safe mode and deactived all Anti-Viruses/adware and firewalls) i got mbamswissarmy.sys to show up in the directory C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\

but when i try to start it up and update it i get only 2 of the Errors MBAM_ERROR_EXPANDING_VARIABLES (0, 9) & MBAM_ERROR_MISSING_FILE (3,0, mbamswissarmy.sys) and in that order i get both of these in safe mode with Everything off and in Normal mode and tried both Run as Admin also. i have included the DDS and Attach txt

DDS.txt Attach.txt

I also have this problem of expanding variables. I have done all the steps mentioned by experts and checked multiple threads on this. But still the same result (will post attachment .txts later because i'm scnanning it overnight with the microsoft malware removal tool.)

Hello all :)

Please do the following and post your results, it will check for the presence of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's drivers on your system:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%windir%\system32\drivers\mbam.sys" dir "%windir%\system32\drivers" /l /a /b /s|find "mbam.sys">>"%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    if exist "%windir%\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys" dir "%windir%\system32\drivers" /l /a /b /s|find "mbamswissarmy.sys">>"%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    if exist "%windir%\syswow64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys" dir "%windir%\syswow64\drivers" /l /a /b /s|find "mbamswissarmy.sys">>"%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    "%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    del /f /q "%cd%\MBAM Check.txt"
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Check.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes it will open the file it created in notepad, please copy and paste the file's contents into your next reply.

I received the same two errors after updating to the latest version tonight. I didn't delete the old version but I did try to reinstall the current version, receiving the same two errors as above.

I ran the check.bat and received the following results. I also manually checked and saw both drivers in the folder. Running Windows Vista Home Premium version 6.0 build 6002 service pack 2. Thanks for the assistance.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I followed accurately all install instructions. The Swiss Army

Knife and the other file missing are not missing, they are

in ..\system32\drivers.

What I noticed is that immediately after the failed install

both Windows Explorer and ztree started emitting "not found"

complaints about files which were there.

MBAM is mucking around with the drive letters!

Welcome frank o -

Please follow these instructions - Your version appears to be corrupted - (Faulty download) -

As you have not listed Operating System or Antivvirus I have included a full fix - Please select the one that suits you -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Restart your computer very important !

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only -

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Restart your computer very important !

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Then run a Quick Scan -

Thank You - :)